Top Shelf Scouting Reports on Rangers Prospects

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The discrepancy about Brady Skjei's shot is a complete joke, and is becoming the new "Jared Staal is the best brother".

Someone reliable a year or so back accidentally called Skjei's shot a bomb and it has manifested a life of its own. I have never seen anything from him to indicate he has a rocket of a shot, or will in the future. Good article and I'm glad this specific factor was brought up, because it needs to be put to rest.

I also am really glad your brought up his forwards-backwards skating, because people hear he's a McDonagh clone and assume he has the 360 degree explosiveness that MacTruck does, when in reality he doesn't. He's a good skater, but more closely resembles a forwards skating ability then a guy like McDonagh. Great forward speed but he doesn't have the recover ability that Ryan does.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The discrepancy about Brady Skjei's shot is a complete joke, and is becoming the new "Jared Staal is the best brother".

Someone reliable a year or so back accidentally called Skjei's shot a bomb and it has manifested a life of its own. I have never seen anything from him to indicate he has a rocket of a shot, or will in the future. Good article and I'm glad this specific factor was brought up, because it needs to be put to rest.

I also am really glad your brought up his forwards-backwards skating, because people hear he's a McDonagh clone and assume has has the 360 degree explosiveness that MacTruck does, when in reality he doesn't. He's a good skater, but more closely resembles a forwards skating ability then a guy like McDonagh. Great forward speed but he doesn't have the recover ability that Ryan does.

He sounds more like Jay Bouwmeester than Ryan McDonagh to me (although that's still obviously very good)

Would be pretty sweet if we got a borderline #1 two-way guy.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I don't know what to think of analysis that has McIlrath this high despite calling him a third pairing guy. To me there's a very clear top five of Skjei, Miller, Duclair, Buchnevich, and Hayes. There are other guys I like after that, but I don't see how anyone else currently in the system cracks that group.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Most of the people on this forum know more than this writer.

For one, we have incredible depth, but he regards guys like Lindberg (Swedish playoffs MVP), Zamorsky (top defenseman in Czech Rep), Bodie (captain of a college champion), etc as non-prospects. Hell, even Hrivik, Bourque, etc have a decent shot at the NHL sooner than later.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Most of the people on this forum know more than this writer.

For one, we have incredible depth, but he regards guys like Lindberg (Swedish playoffs MVP), Zamorsky (top defenseman in Czech Rep), Bodie (captain of a college champion), etc as non-prospects. Hell, even Hrivik, Bourque, etc have a decent shot at the NHL sooner than later.

Eh, I thought some of the author's player-specific info was worth the read. Not much I didn't already know, but still useful.

But yeah, when I hit that lack of depth part, I face-palmed. Depth is the one thing we actually have in our system. We have players far down our prospect list who have decent to good shots at becoming NHLers for some organization, even if it's not ours. The top end talent is what's not there. A little research would have yielded the writer that much, which casts aspersions on everything else they said.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
He sounds more like Jay Bouwmeester than Ryan McDonagh to me (although that's still obviously very good)

Would be pretty sweet if we got a borderline #1 two-way guy.

Maybe in terms of upside and type of player, absolutely. They don't look similar on the ice though.

Hopefully we can put the myth about his "cannon" to rest as well.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Right, a hard slapshot is kind of a mythical magical thing that is given more value than it should be.

As you said, only a few guys have really elite level slapshots that you can consider are a consistent threat to score with, and Chara's might even be slowing down at this point, but a huge part of that is their ability to get that shot through and on net or things like that. Other guys have hard slapshots but get them blocked all the time, shoot them directly at the center of the net all the time, or miss the net all the time. Other guys are more accurate but the shots just aren't hard enough to blow past goalies consistently. You have to have ALL of those aspects to your game in order to have a real "bomb" of a shot, otherwise you're probably better keeping it low for rebounds and deflections.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't care how hard he shoots as long as he's accurate and get decode the riddle of shot blockers.

To me, only a few guys on the back end have a real "bomb"...Garrison, Chara, Weber, Subban and Edler. Maybe a few more.

Good point. I agree.

Alfredsson also.

SupersonicMonkey*

Brian Leetch never had a huge bomb from the point. What he was able to do was find the shooting lane and get the puck through traffic accurately.

You don't need to wind up and blast a puck to score goals. If anything, i would discourage players from winding up for big slap shots. It buys the defenders time to get into the lane. A quick wrist shot that gets through traffic is just as effective as blasting the goaltender off his feet.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Brian Leetch never had a huge bomb from the point. What he was able to do was find the shooting lane and get the puck through traffic accurately.

You don't need to wind up and blast a puck to score goals. If anything, i would discourage players from winding up for big slap shots. It buys the defenders time to get into the lane. A quick wrist shot that gets through traffic is just as effective as blasting the goaltender off his feet.

Unless you have an absolute monster shot, little snap shots and wristers should be the choice made there.

If the puck is getting moved quickly I can understand taking the slapper from face off circle as the goalie is still moving laterally to get in position. but Shots from the point should lean more towards accuracy than speed unless of course you are pushing 100mph on the radar.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Not going to agree or disagree on which shot is more effective for a defenseman, I'm just saying Skjei is consistently awarded hardest shot among our prospects and I believe it is very random, because in the times I've seen him his shot has been nothing but average. And I've seen him play a good amount of times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad