Top Shelf Prospects: Edmonton Oilers Edition

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Nice work... adjusted some preconceived notions I had about some of these guys.

I was surprised not to see Persson given many are expecting him to make the jump and beat out Bouchard/Bear for the final RD spot.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I was surprised not to see Persson given many are expecting him to make the jump and beat out Bouchard/Bear for the final RD spot.

Makes sense. We had him at 13, and you’d have to be REALLY high on him to bump anyone out of the top 10

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Persson is older and more NHL ready. Doesn't mean he is the better prospect.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Persson is older and more NHL ready. Doesn't mean he is the better prospect.

It used to be around these parts that a prospect was a prospect until they hit the 42 game mark... and were graded on both potential x likelihood of hitting it (remember 7.5C).

Anyway, I'm being facetious, but it's nice that we have such high opinions of the other guys that a guy expected to make it out of camp can't crack our top 10. It's a bit too "forward looking" for me from a practical perspective, but ok.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It used to be around these parts that a prospect was a prospect until they hit the 42 game mark... and were graded on both potential x likelihood of hitting it (remember 7.5C).

Anyway, I'm being facetious, but it's nice that we have such high opinions of the other guys that a guy expected to make it out of camp can't crack our top 10. It's a bit too "forward looking" for me from a practical perspective, but ok.

That’s the thing though, if you use the old rankings, Persson’s like a 6.0B, and the worst player in our top 10 is like a 7.0C.

Reactions: MessierII

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Well like, Jones is going to crack the NHL roster, Broberg isn't, Broberg is the better prospect

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Looks more like "a top Oiler prospect and 10 sleepers" list to me.

Longshots start at prospect #2 on the list :)

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Describing Benson, Yamamoto, Marody and Bear as great to tremendous skaters is a little interesting.

No kidding.

"Benson is a strong skater and plays a very gritty and physical game. He has very good speed and quick acceleration. He has a great first step,"

I don't know how you watch Benson play and come away with an impression like that.
Benson himself has talked about it being an area where he needs to improve.

The good news is that he can absolutely get his skating to a level where it is good enough.

I remember Brodziak looking like an absolute slug the first time I saw him in an Oilers camp. He got his skating up to a decent NHL level over time.

Aug 10, 2015
You lost me at “preseason”

NEW YORK, NY - OCTOBER 13: Edmonton Oilers Defenceman Evan Bouchard (75) is pictured prior to the National Hockey League preseason game between the Edmonton Oilers and the New York Rangers on October 13, 2018 at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY. (Photo by Joshua Sarner/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
For the most part it was well written.

"The Oilers drafted Broberg with the 7th overall pick in this year’s NHL draft"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad