Top Shelf Prospects: Coyotes Top 10 Prospects and Sleeper

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Our annual look at the top 10 prospects (plus a sleeper) for each team, rolls on with the Coyotes.

Here is a sample.

And a link.

#2 Prospect: Victor Soderstrom

Soderstrom is an elite skater which allows him to play an effective two-way game. His speed is exceptional, in both directions. He gets up to speed quickly, with excellent acceleration and a great first step. He also has very good edgework and agility, allowing him to quickly change directions. With good pivots, he transitions from offence to defence and vice-versa quickly. This also allows him to cover huge areas of ice and makes him tough to beat in one-on-one situations. Soderstrom is strong on his skates allowing him to win battles on the boards and in front of the net at the junior level. However, he is a bit undersized and this becomes more apparent when he plays against men. His low centre of gravity can help going forward, provided he adds more muscle to his frame.

2021 Arizona Coyotes Prospects: Top Shelf Prospects

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Thanks for the detailed write up as usual! Interesting to see how similar and different your list was to our forums polls. Love the Kolychonok piece and you are not alone with Jenik at three. We may be a little higher on Maccelli since he was drafted by us, unlike Timmins and Koly, but I do think he has a ton of potential.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Who did they have to shtup for HF Boards to allow these guys in?

You are free to ignore me, especially if you are going to reply with things that add nothing of value to the conversation.

There are clearly others who like the posts and the information that is provided, for free, during the dryest part of the hockey calendar.

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Thanks for the detailed write up as usual! Interesting to see how similar and different your list was to our forums polls. Love the Kolychonok piece and you are not alone with Jenik at three. We may be a little higher on Maccelli since he was drafted by us, unlike Timmins and Koly, but I do think he has a ton of potential.

Thanks

Its good to see some people appreciate it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
You are free to ignore me, especially if you are going to reply with things that add nothing of value to the conversation.
Ouch! Ok, I enjoy your site. It is the best analysis this side of Tyson Nash.

On a more serious note I disagree with your comment that Hayton needs to be on the Coyotes. He’s young. He needs to get stronger, react faster, and find confidence and success in the AHL before moving to the NHL. The Coyotes have a history of failing to develop players by rushing them. Hayton should not be rushed.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
...and yet we brought in a coach who is suppose to be good with prospects! Already familiar with Hayton, I expect Hayton to be a pet project of Coach Tourigny.

Reactions: PuckLife

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Our annual look at the top 10 prospects (plus a sleeper) for each team, rolls on with the Coyotes.

Here is a sample.

And a link.

#2 Prospect: Victor Soderstrom

Soderstrom is an elite skater which allows him to play an effective two-way game. His speed is exceptional, in both directions. He gets up to speed quickly, with excellent acceleration and a great first step. He also has very good edgework and agility, allowing him to quickly change directions. With good pivots, he transitions from offence to defence and vice-versa quickly. This also allows him to cover huge areas of ice and makes him tough to beat in one-on-one situations. Soderstrom is strong on his skates allowing him to win battles on the boards and in front of the net at the junior level. However, he is a bit undersized and this becomes more apparent when he plays against men. His low centre of gravity can help going forward, provided he adds more muscle to his frame.

2021 Arizona Coyotes Prospects: Top Shelf Prospects
That was a great article. I agree with you about Hayton and Capo. Their time is now.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Ouch! Ok, I enjoy your site. It is the best analysis this side of Tyson Nash.

On a more serious note I disagree with your comment that Hayton needs to be on the Coyotes. He’s young. He needs to get stronger, react faster, and find confidence and success in the AHL before moving to the NHL. The Coyotes have a history of failing to develop players by rushing them. Hayton should not be rushed.

This is the start of his fourth season after being drafted. He was a 5th overall pick. He shouldn't really need more development time. If he's not good enough for the NHL today, I don't know if he will ever be ready. I don't think four years is rushing a 5th overall pick.

Reactions: Jakey53

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Really appreciate the in depth analysis... even if I disagree on a few guys.

I think Hayton needs to start in Tucson, but I see him getting a call up AS LONG AS he performs down in Tucson. I would like to see him have 20 points in 20 games....something along those lines before getting the call up. Something similar to what Perlini did before his callup (14g / 5a in 17 games)

I seem to also be higher on Timmins, but agree I would like to see him take a step this year.

Finally.... I am so excited for Guenther lol

Reactions: LastWordArmy

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This is the start of his fourth season after being drafted. He was a 5th overall pick. He shouldn't really need more development time. If he's not good enough for the NHL today, I don't know if he will ever be ready. I don't think four years is rushing a 5th overall pick.
There's a difference between looking a a player's numbers and looking at a player play. I've seen him play. He's not ready as of last season. He needs to cook a bit longer. He's only 21 and 2 months old.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
There's a difference between looking a a player's numbers and looking at a player play. I've seen him play. He's not ready as of last season. He needs to cook a bit longer. He's only 21 and 2 months old.

After reading a long description of his playing style, you assume I am only looking at his numbers and that I haven't seen him play?

2b02ewx.jpg

I'm fine with you disagreeing with me... but don't make assumptions that I haven't seen a player play.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

He hasn't really played a full season since being drafted. D+1 he pretty much sat in the press box until WJC where he hurt his shoulder and then sat in the press box more. Got a couple NHL games in before and after the tourney. D+2 involved more pressbox sitting, a stint in Tucson where he was dominate (iirc) and then COVID shutting the season down. Last year he didn't look ready for the NHL and then did not play all that well in Tucson. Still was bounced around and between the pressbox and COVID precautions and shortened season he didn't play very consistently. I feel like Chayka really forced him into RT and RT wanted wins not to develop a kid.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He’s barely played. His development has been outright sabotage. He needs to play an entire season in Tucson as 1C on the top line, top PP, last minute of games, be “the man” for a season. On what should be a really good AHL team. Let him Remember who he is and get back on track.

The alternative is bleak. Dvorak and Schmaltz will get the better quality minutes and linemates. Larsson is the shut down center and will play more minutes as a result. So you’re looking at Hayton as 4C on the worst or second worst team in the NHL. Unless you move him to wing and then there’s that problem he now has to deal with.

Thr dream scenario is that he’s lights out at camp and pushes Schmaltz to the wing and becomes our 2C right away. That’s a very long shot. But the only good reason there is for putting him in the NHL right now.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
He’s barely played. His development has been outright sabotage. He needs to play an entire season in Tucson as 1C on the top line, top PP, last minute of games, be “the man” for a season. Remember who he is and get back on track.

I think it comes down to where he is in the lineup. If he can be a third liner with PP time in the NHL, then that would be good minutes for him. But yes, if he's gonna be on the fourth line or press box, then play him in the AHL. He'd be playing tougher competition even as a third liner in the NHL and that is more valuable than slightly more minutes in the AHL. However, if the minutes are going to be limited, then I'd have him in the AHL.

I think he's ready for the top 9 in the NHL.... but its fine if you (or others) disagree.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
He hasn't really played a full season since being drafted. D+1 he pretty much sat in the press box until WJC where he hurt his shoulder and then sat in the press box more. Got a couple NHL games in before and after the tourney. D+2 involved more pressbox sitting, a stint in Tucson where he was dominate (iirc) and then COVID shutting the season down. Last year he didn't look ready for the NHL and then did not play all that well in Tucson. Still was bounced around and between the pressbox and COVID precautions and shortened season he didn't play very consistently. I feel like Chayka really forced him into RT and RT wanted wins not to develop a kid.
This 100%

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I think it comes down to where he is in the lineup. If he can be a third liner with PP time in the NHL, then that would be good minutes for him. But yes, if he's gonna be on the fourth line or press box, then play him in the AHL. He'd be playing tougher competition even as a third liner in the NHL and that is more valuable than slightly more minutes in the AHL. However, if the minutes are going to be limited, then I'd have him in the AHL.

I think he's ready for the top 9 in the NHL.... but its fine if you (or others) disagree.
I'm with you on this.

rt

May 13, 2004

The alternative is bleak. Dvorak and Schmaltz will get the better quality minutes and linemates. Larsson is the shut down center and will play more minutes as a result. So you’re looking at Hayton as 4C on the worst or second worst team in the NHL. Unless you move him to wing and then there’s that problem he now has to deal with.

Thr dream scenario is that he’s lights out at camp and pushes Schmaltz to the wing and becomes our 2C right away. That’s a very long shot. But the only good reason there is for putting him in the NHL right now.

As for you thinking he’s “ready” for NHL top 9 that can’t be based on anything you’ve seen in the NHL. This player has looked consistently and completely overwhelmed by NHL pace. The whole time. So that suspicion that he’s ready has got to be just a hunch.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm with you on this.
I don’t think you are. You don’t want him matched up against the other teams top line. And the two scoring line C spots are taken. So unless you want him playing wing, or 4C, I just don’t see it.

Injuries happen, of course, so maybe that’s his path.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
He was a 5th overall pick. He shouldn't really need more development time.

True, but when the team is evaluating where talent should be playing that's both best for the player and best for the team, where they were drafted is completely irrelevant.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Tourigny I think is the key here. I also would like to see Hayton stay in Tucson for the majority if not all of this season. However if he has a very good camp, I think It could work at the NHL level because Tourigny knows this player and would no doubt be willing to try him in all types of scenarios.
Like someone said earlier, RT gave all the good opportunities to his vets, some of them being the likes of Stepan, and Fischer, even Kessel when he did not deserve it. And I could go on. But I think Tourigny coached at the juniour level so he is going to want to see what he has to work with and he is going to be all about giving time to the most worthy player. He has to give them opportunity to find this out. At least that is what I am hoping.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I expect Hayton to be a Coyote. No Tocchet to hold him back, instead a coach to work with. I expect him to stick and earn his playing time. And it wouldn't surprise me if Dvorak gets traded when BH establishes himself and a team steps up and overpays.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

As for you thinking he’s “ready” for NHL top 9 that can’t be based on anything you’ve seen in the NHL. This player has looked consistently and completely overwhelmed by NHL pace. The whole time. So that suspicion that he’s ready has got to be just a hunch.

There are a number of options. As you said, Schmaltz could be pushed to the wing. There are also plenty of rumours of Dvorak being traded. A new coach could decide Dvorak should be matched against the other team's top line instead of Larsson. There could be injuries. Etc.... I don't think the lineup is quite so set in stone as you make it out to be.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Schemp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad