Top Shelf Prospects: 2018 Calgary Flames

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Dillon, not Dylan. And last name Dubé (at least according to eliteprospects, but the funny thing is that his brother is listed as "Dube")
My bad on first name

We don't put accents on anyone's names though. Messes with Hockey-Reference linker which we use to link to their stats pages when they play one NHL game

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
We don't put accents on anyone's names though. Messes with Hockey-Reference linker which we use to link to their stats pages when they play one NHL game

Yeah that was more of a general comment, I've always wondered about Dubé / Dube since I first noticed it at Eliteprospects

Reactions: LastWordArmy

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
It’s hard to write articles explaining things to people on here who follow and watch Flames players and prospects every opportunity we get.

That said this managed to be really insightful in some areas, LWoS has really gotten good over the last year imho.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Parsons is rated way to high. Especially after he had a very difficult season. Gillies is the most ready goalie on your list of prospects.
I question if Parsons is able to become an NHL caliber goalie considering his size and style of play. Parsons barely sustained a 0.900 save percentage in the ECHL and was destroyed in the AHL (0.856). IMO Tyler should have considered going into NCAA where they have shown great development of goalies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Parsons is rated way to high. Especially after he had a very difficult season. Gillies is the most ready goalie on your list of prospects.
I question if Parsons is able to become an NHL caliber goalie considering his size and style of play. Parsons barely sustained a 0.900 save percentage in the ECHL and was destroyed in the AHL (0.856). IMO Tyler should have considered going into NCAA where they have shown great development of goalies.

4 years older than Ty Parsons.
Goalies are voodoo. But I like the kid who has been able to dominate leagues he's in until this past season.

Gillies to me is a year and a half away from being an AHL journeyman.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
4 years older than Ty Parsons.
Goalies are voodoo. But I like the kid who has been able to dominate leagues he's in until this past season.

Gillies to me is a year and a half away from being an AHL journeyman.

Meh, I'm not too worried about Parsons lackluster first pro season. Likewise, Gillies only needs to improve on his play at the NHL level from last year slightly to be a serviceable backup. Both guys still have lots of upside and 24 y/o for a goalie prospect on the cusp of being an NHL player is pretty par for the course.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Meh, I'm not too worried about Parsons lackluster first pro season.

I don't know. Good goalie don't f*** up that badly. Good luck recovering from that.

I have stopped expecting anything from a flames drafted goalie long time ago

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't know. Good goalie don't **** up that badly. Good luck recovering from that.

I have stopped expecting anything from a flames drafted goalie long time ago
Mike Vernon once had a GAA of 8.10 over his first two seasons with the Flames.

Good young goalies are worth waiting for. You just don't give them the reigns too soon or you get Trevor Kidd.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Mike Vernon once had a GAA of 8.10 over his first two seasons with the Flames.

Good young goalies are worth waiting for. You just don't give them the reigns too soon or you get Trevor Kidd.

Do you have any example newer than Mike Vernon?

Otherwise, you are confirming my point on the Flames incompetency in finding the right goalie.:laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Vernon might actually be the last Flames goalie who wasn’t immediately ejected into the sun after a rough start to his career.
Pretty much. They destroyed the development of several, whether by not giving them a chance again after a rough start to their career, or burying them for AHL vets in the minors. Fortunately, Treliving doesn't come across as that kind of GM to me.

Just glancing through the list of Flames goalies, a few examples of guys who were mishandled.

- Leland Irving, had a good start to his NHL career (7 games), during the lockout he was signed to an AHL contract to be a 3rd string goalie behind 2 AHL veterans. Then they never gave him a chance after he struggled once he got into game action.
- Phillippe Sauve was traded after getting into a fight in his 6th game.
- JS Giguere, given 22 games and then traded. Oh, what could have been.
- Curtis McElhinney, given 29 games over 3 years, had good AHL numbers. He's still an NHL calibre backup today.
- Matt Keetley, was poorly developed, barely got a shot at the AHL level. Then would get sent to the ECHL to get a handful of games. He should have started in the ECHL.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Meh, I'm not too worried about Parsons lackluster first pro season. Likewise, Gillies only needs to improve on his play at the NHL level from last year slightly to be a serviceable backup. Both guys still have lots of upside and 24 y/o for a goalie prospect on the cusp of being an NHL player is pretty par for the course.

I agree, but at that age, it seems to be make or break.
He'll either make the jump, or he won't.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad