Top Shelf Prospects 2018 Boston Bruins

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Excellent read, thank you

This one line made the whole report for me: "At forward, Alexander Khokhlachev is still considered a prospect but it seems unlikely that he will ever play another game for the Bruins"

Seriously this is an excellent overview of the prospects from what appears to be an unbiased observer
He isn't putting Studnicka on the second line this year or expecting Senyshyn to score at will, well thought out and informed opinions. Would still like to see a couple Simmonds/Wilson type prospects in system but overall not bad.

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I'm sure this question will come up as it seems to be common on other boards.

Why are Bjork and Donato considered prospects? We considered them prospects because at the end of the series we compare all the teams. The only way to do this fairly is to have a rule for what is or isn't a prospect. We have had the same rule since 2012. Any player under the age of 25 and less than 50 NHL games (including playoffs) is a prospect. It would be unfair for some teams to have certain players considered prospects and others not based on subjective judgments. So we make it an objective rule that is easy to enforce.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm sure this question will come up as it seems to be common on other boards.

Why are Bjork and Donato considered prospects? We considered them prospects because at the end of the series we compare all the teams. The only way to do this fairly is to have a rule for what is or isn't a prospect. We have had the same rule since 2012. Any player under the age of 25 and less than 50 NHL games (including playoffs) is a prospect. It would be unfair for some teams to have certain players considered prospects and others not based on subjective judgments. So we make it an objective rule that is easy to enforce.
Donato: 15 GP; Bjork 30 GP. Both 22. Seems you answered your own question. NVM, I see now you were explaining why they were prospects, not asking why they were. Sometimes I need a few extra moments to get it.

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
@LastWordArmy Bit of a reach here but what is your opinion on Tanner Pond and John Ludvig. Any Chance Pond ever sees anything but 4th line AHL time?

I haven't seen much of Pond from last year. There is too much to watch to follow everyone, so the ECHL isn't a league I seek out video from unless its a goalie prospect I particularly want to see.

Based on what I saw previously with Northeastern, I don't think there is much hope for an NHL career there.

Ludvig I thought had a chance to go in the 6th or 7th round, but I'm not surprised he didn't get drafted either. He's still got work to do on his skating if he wants to get drafted next year or get a free agent contract.

Reactions: Fenian24

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I haven't seen much of Pond from last year. There is too much to watch to follow everyone, so the ECHL isn't a league I seek out video from unless its a goalie prospect I particularly want to see.

Based on what I saw previously with Northeastern, I don't think there is much hope for an NHL career there.

Ludvig I thought had a chance to go in the 6th or 7th round, but I'm not surprised he didn't get drafted either. He's still got work to do on his skating if he wants to get drafted next year or get a free agent contract.

Thank you

Reactions: LastWordArmy

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Excellent read, thank you

This one line made the whole report for me: "At forward, Alexander Khokhlachev is still considered a prospect but it seems unlikely that he will ever play another game for the Bruins"

sensuously this is an excellent overview of the prospects from what appears to be an unbiased observer. He isn't putting Studnicka on the second line this year or expecting Senyshyn to score at will, well thought out and informed opinions. Would still like to see a couple Simmonds/Wilson type prospects in system but overall not bad.

Why would he? I don't see anyone putting Studnicka on the 2nd line and I don't see anyone saying that they expect Senyshyn to score at will, either. Just more continued garbage from you. Maybe one day you'll actually call out people saying something that has actually been said. I won't hold my breath though.... Utter garbage.

Reactions: maxbme

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Since we're doing our own HF ranking of our prospect pool, and since that ranking is now at #10, I thought it would be interesting to see how our rankings stacked up to those from TPS. Here's what they look like:
TSP HFDifferential
Donato Donato0
Vaakanainen Frederic+3
Bjork Vaakanainen-1
JFK Studnicka+2
Frederic JFK-1
Studnicka Zboril+1
Zboril Senyshyn+1
Senyshyn Cehlarik+3
Lauko LauzonN/R
Cehlarik Lauko-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The differential is the difference between where we ranked a prospect and were TPS did. For example, We rated Trent Frederic 3 spots higher than TPS and Vaakanainen 1 spot lower than TPS.

I do wonder if TPS thinks the Bruins have the 27th ranked prospect pool....

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Since we're doing our own HF ranking of our prospect pool, and since that ranking is now at #10, I thought it would be interesting to see how our rankings stacked up to those from TPS. Here's what they look like:
TSPHFDifferential
DonatoDonato0
VaakanainenFrederic+3
BjorkVaakanainen-1
JFKStudnicka+2
FredericJFK-1
StudnickaZboril+1
ZborilSenyshyn+1
SenyshynCehlarik+3
LaukoLauzonN/R
CehlarikLauko-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The differential is the difference between where we ranked a prospect and were TPS did. For example, We rated Trent Frederic 3 spots higher than TPS and Vaakanainen 1 spot lower than TPS.

I haven't done the full numbers on pools... Part of the reason why I do ranks at the end, is that the very excercise of going through each team and writing their top 10 is a huge help when I go to rank the teams. It gives me at least a day thinking about each team and what they have. So the numbers aren't finalized yet.

They aren't as good as last year, they graduated a lot. Here are the players that graduated.. Charlie McAvoy, Jake Debrusk, Danton Heinen, Matt Grzelcyk, Sean Kuraly, Noel Acciari, Zane McIntyre (age)... plus you didn't have a first-round pick to add another high quality prospect in (which almost every team did), and Ryan Lindgren and Rob O'Gara were included in trades. Thats a lot of talent departing from a "prospect pool" in one year.

That said a year ago we had them 11th (and in retrospect, that was too low, I should have had them higher).

They will likely drop from 11th, but I don't see them down around 27th either.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
TSPHFDifferential
DonatoDonato0
VaakanainenFrederic+3
BjorkVaakanainen-1
JFKStudnicka+2
FredericJFK-1
StudnickaZboril+1
ZborilSenyshyn+1
SenyshynCehlarik+3
LaukoLauzonN/R
CehlarikLauko-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I would assume if we counted Bjork he would have slotted in at #2 (for the 2nd year in a row!), or am I alone in that.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is the type of materiel you sit on the deck or at the beach and read thinking life is good

Outstanding

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Excellent write up.

I've seen at least 10 games of 5 of the 10+1 guys listed and I concur with those scouting reports. So I find this really valuable for the 6 I have not really seen play or maybe just 1 preseason game.

I may be the only person who thinks Swayman is a top 10 Bruins prospect, but goalies are so hit and miss that I understand them being left off lists. I saw 6 UMaine games last year and I still cannot believe U Maine's record after seeing how bad their defenders and team defense were. It was kinda like watching Price in Montreal these past few years where he was the only reason they won games. If fans only look at stats, don't be fooled by his high GAA.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Of all the painful"Top Lists" we have seen this summer this is by far the best one I have seen.

Realistic, Factual, and best of all not in the least bit containing that all knowing BS. Ben Kerr didn't need to be the smartest guy out there, he just presented the facts.Funny, turns out he sounded like the smartest out there. Maybe facts are better than opinions after all.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Of all the painful"Top Lists" we have seen this summer this is by far the best one I have seen.

Realistic, Factual, and best of all not in the least bit containing that all knowing BS. Ben Kerr didn't need to be the smartest guy out there, he just presented the facts.Funny, turns out he sounded like the smartest out there. Maybe facts are better than opinions after all.

Thanks.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Excellent write up.

I've seen at least 10 games of 5 of the 10+1 guys listed and I concur with those scouting reports. So I find this really valuable for the 6 I have not really seen play or maybe just 1 preseason game.

I may be the only person who thinks Swayman is a top 10 Bruins prospect, but goalies are so hit and miss that I understand them being left off lists. I saw 6 UMaine games last year and I still cannot believe U Maine's record after seeing how bad their defenders and team defense were. It was kinda like watching Price in Montreal these past few years where he was the only reason they won games. If fans only look at stats, don't be fooled by his high GAA.

I would say you are not the only one :D

Reactions: 00BW

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Anyone see a bit of a trend with the B's top prospects? Some notes from the TSP Prospect Rankings report, which I might add is one of the best and most logical I've seen so far.

On Donato:
willing to do whatever it takes to win. While he will need some experience to make the most of his defensive game in the NHL, he shows a high compete level. Donato gets back in his zone and supports the defenders.

On Vaak:
Overall, his game is well-rounded

On Bjork:
A strong two-way player

On JFK:
A strong two-way player

On Frederic:
For a young player, Frederic is already developing a strong defensive game. He is tenacious on the backcheck and willing to use to use his size and grittiness in all three zones.

On Studnicka:
a well-developed defensive game. He kills penalties, anticipating plays and cutting down passing lanes. He has a strong positional game and is not afraid to block shots. Studnicka shows his grit in all three zones

On Senyshyn:
While Senyshyn’s offensive numbers were not there this year, he did a good job of becoming more well-rounded and improving his defensive game.

On Lauko:
Projects as a potential two-way player in a team’s middle six.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
TSPHFDifferential
DonatoDonato0
VaakanainenFrederic+3
BjorkVaakanainen-1
JFKStudnicka+2
FredericJFK-1
StudnickaZboril+1
ZborilSenyshyn+1
SenyshynCehlarik+3
LaukoLauzonN/R
CehlarikLauko-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The bottom line to me is can the Bruins hit on 2 of 3 of

Studnicka
JFK
Frederic

I know Heinen & Fitzgerald can play center but the 3 listed are all pretty high draft picks

With health I see no remote weakness other than center but that could be a moot point if Boston hits with their center prospects

The 31 team over view is awesome very very well done and provides a great foundation of each team

It’s not scientific but it’s real good information for a hobby hockey guy like many of us

I enjoy looking at all the teams and it’s probably a safe bet 80% from the List is going to be the guys that end up in the NHL with a Few suprises

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The bottom line to me is can the Bruins hit on 2 of 3 of

Studnicka
JFK
Frederic

I know Heinen & Fitzgerald can play center but the 3 listed are all pretty high draft picks

With health I see no remote weakness other than center but that could be a moot point if Boston hits with their center prospects

The 31 team over view is awesome very very well done and provides a great foundation of each team

It’s not scientific but it’s real good information for a hobby hockey guy like many of us

I enjoy looking at all the teams and it’s probably a safe bet 80% from the List is going to be the guys that end up in the NHL with a Few suprises

It may not be scientific, but last year's rankings were featured in Hockey Abstract by Rob Vollman and quotes from this year's Draft Preview were featured flashed on the screen on Sportsnet about specific players as they were broadcasting the NHL Draft. Its great to hear praise like this from you (and all the Bruins fans here) as we've taken heat at times in other team boards and we are very proud of our prospect coverage. I'm biased, but I think it genuinely is the best part of our site as well as one of the best free resources on the internet.

Thanks again for the high praise. Its good to see fans who feel the same way we do, and to get that recognition from people like Vollman and Sportsnet this past year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It may not be scientific, but last year's rankings were featured in Hockey Abstract by Rob Vollman and quotes from this year's Draft Preview were featured flashed on the screen on Sportsnet about specific players as they were broadcasting the NHL Draft. Its great to hear praise like this from you (and all the Bruins fans here) as we've taken heat at times in other team boards and we are very proud of our prospect coverage. I'm biased, but I think it genuinely is the best part of our site as well as one of the best free resources on the internet.

Thanks again for the high praise. Its good to see fans who feel the same way we do, and to get that recognition from people like Vollman and Sportsnet this past year.
It’s just so well thought out and done regardless how shakes out - I’m in the SIM here so you provide familiarity with players that help me know who’s who

It’s a my favorite place to build a foundation of teams and then use all the others to combine with and get an overall feel for an organization or player

I’ll go to the Bruins exhibition games and I’ve read the stuff on Detroit for example so I’m like ‘yah I know something about this guy’

I have this thing of wanting to know the top 10 prospects (or thereabouts) of nhl teams and the top 100 Lise overall of baseball

It’s what I used to do back in the 70’s pre internet when you got information from the Sporting News, Sport Magazine, Hockey Illustrated, baseball digest etc.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Surprised I don't see more support for Donato at center since he has the most recent experience at that position.

Heinen hasn't played there since his days at Denver. If Ryan can nail down that slot it would set up Bjork and Heinen to slide into top nine wing assignments.

I see Karlsson as a contender for that 3rd line center spot. But I'd give Ryan the edge based on his offensive talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad