Top Russian NHL Players of All-Time #2

Who's the second best Russian player in NHL history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Evgeni Malkin. An interesting debate for any other player does not exist anymore.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Here is my list to add.

Forwards
Mogilny
Makarov
Kovalchuk
Kovalev
Yashin
Zhamnov
Kozlov
Larionov
Panarin
Kucherov
(Assuming Kharlamov, Bobrov, Bykov, Mikhailov, Maltsev, Mozyakin, Petrov don't count)

Defence
Zubov
Kostantinov
Gonchar
Fetisov
Markov
(Assuming Ragulin, Vasiliev don't count)

Goalies
Bobrovsky
Khabibulin
Nabokov
Vasilevskiy
Varlamov
(Assuming Tretiak doesn't count)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Fedorov pretty comfortably. Top 3 of greatest peak among forwards.

Agreed. Fedorov has the 3rd best peak among Russian forwards.

Considering this poll is for #2 though - and considering that outside of just peak, Malkin also has the better overall prime/career - Malkin is the right vote.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Agreed. Fedorov has the 3rd best peak among Russian forwards.

Considering this poll is for #2 though - and considering that outside of just peak, Malkin also has the better overall prime/career - Malkin is the right vote.

I don't think Malkin ever had a season that matched Fedorov's 1993-1994 year. Hart, Pearson, and Selke, and second in scoring to Gretzky. Fedorov was never able to maintain that level consistently which is why Malkin should win this poll, but peak Fedorov was one of the most dominant players in NHL history and that often gets forgotten.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Yes Feds had a better peak then Malkin, but it was only 2 seasons.

That’s not enough to offset the significant advantage that Malkin has for the rest of their careers, including better in the playoffs.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't think Malkin ever had a season that matched Fedorov's 1993-1994 year. Hart, Pearson, and Selke, and second in scoring to Gretzky. Fedorov was never able to maintain that level consistently which is why Malkin should win this poll, but peak Fedorov was one of the most dominant players in NHL history and that often gets forgotten.

Not forgotten - i don't value his peak as high as some is all.

But yes - peak Fedorov was great. So was 2012 Malkin though - and peak 2009 Malkin playoffs is better than Fedorov playoffs. And - of course Ovechkin is super strong for peak too. You can probably argue peak Fedorov a bit higher if you like - but I still place him as 3rd best among Russian forwards for peak (and Datsyuk isn't far off, it's either/or).

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The sad part about this thread (though not for Russians) is their two all time greats only had a cup of coffee in the league. I wonder where Fetisov and Larianov would have rated had they had full careers in the NHL.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Malkin was much better offensively in '12 than Fedorov in '94 though. The seasons are pretty close overall once accounting for Fedorov's defense. And I don't think Fed's season gets forgotten at all. If anything, it's become overrated due to his point total in a high scoring year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad