Mike Peluso
Dave Schultz
Dave Manson
Dave Williams
Kris King
Tie Domi
Basil Mcrae
Toni Twist

anyone want to add a few names i forgot?

These are just a bunch of goons. They weren't all that nuts. King was pretty level-headed, so was Twist. Peluso and Grimson were quite respectable.

If you're talking NHL-only, how about Daniel Carcillo? That guy is NUTS. Or outside of the NHL, we all remember Jeff Kugel. That guy was clinically insane. I heard he was actually a shaved gorilla.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Steve Durbano-bonafide moron and disgrace to hockey.
Link Gaetz-read about this guy sometime when you get the chance.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
His low point came in 1993, when he was arrested for breaking into his old roommate's apartment, stealing his television, and urinating on his bed. Said the victim of the crime, "I came home and the television was gone and there was urine in my bed. The mark of Link."

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Manson, Grimson and Peluso were all nuts when they were younger coming up with the Hawks. Grimson and Peluso would get beatin regularly and Manson would hand them out.

Dave Manson actually turned out to be a decent defensemen.

The Ooh Wow

Apr 4, 2006
Turku, Finland
Esa Tikkanen. I mean really, if there's going to be a all-nutter team, Tikkanen's got to be in it. The man had his own language (of sorts), Tiki-talk. He's no goon, but a splendid nut.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Funny how a guy on the ice can be so different than off of it. Grimson it may shock some people is a devout Christian, always has been throughout his playing career that I know of. Although even on the ice I'd put guys like Hextall ahead of him. Being a nut on the ice isnt always a bad thing. I'd call Terry O'Reilly nuts too, because playing against him was insane. He was all over the place. And he fought the way all fans want to see fights. No clutching and grabbing just haymaker after haymaker whether he was giving it or receiving it.

As far as personality goes Gilles Gratton would probably be #1. He's the kind of guy you'd see watching an apartment building burn down.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I have to agree on Tikkanen, he was so smart it's hard to call him a nut, but this was the guy who kissed a member of the Washington Capitals on the nose during the playoffs, who subsequently went psycho and gave the Rangers a powerplay. Was it Kelly Miller? Anyone remember?

Funniest thing I've ever seen on the ice.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Link Gaetz is the king of all hockey nuts. Apparantly a nice guy towards his fans, but the stories out there about him are just insane.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
Another vote for Link Gaetz. He's by far the most insane professional(he played one season in NHL with Sharks) hockey player I've heard of. However, most of the Link stories are from his minor league antics. I think he was "bearable" nut for a goon(and excellent fighter) when he was in NHL, but after some car crash he just went a bit too crazy and no NHL-GM dared to sign him after that.

There is some good names in the first post too, but Enrico Ciccone belongs to that list more than many fighters who were simply tough, but not especially crazy. Ciccone was mentally unbalanced and he's even admitted that he cannot control himself. If I remember right, once he even attacked some fan..and this was not in the penalty box like in the Domi case.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
The Missing Link

For those who are too lazy or busy to google, here's some antics of Link Gaetz: (I did not include the usual hockey fighting stuff as that was Missing Link's primary job anyway.)

- Link was pummeling some helpless player on the ice, when zebras got involved, Link bit the linesman's leg!
- Link broke to his ex-teammate's apartment, stole his TV and urinated on his bed.
- Link forced some stranger lady to dance with him in a bar. After woman started to weep and cry, Link went to bar's kitchen, stole a chef's hat and started to make burgers by himself...until cops took him away.
-Link started a fight with his coach in a locker room. Other players had to break it up. Link actually sucker punched his coach in the face. That coach was Nick Fotiu, btw.
-Link was driving to the party and spotted that car before him was slowing him down in front of the gates. Link crashed the car in front of him and pushed it through the gates. Then Link bailed out of his vehicle, beat the other car's driver unconscious and walked into the party...where Link was uninvited anyway.
-Link has been arrested multiple times of violent behaviour.
-Link has been kicked out of most, if not all, of the teams he's played for.

I'm sure there are much more stuff about the Missing Link and other genuine nut cases of hockey ;)

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
How about some love for Sprague Cleghorn and Joe Hall? Maybe not Gilles Gratton like crazy, but these guys pulled some insane stuff on the ice.

Max Bentley seems a little off based on stuff I've read about him too.

Patrick Roy's superstitions are a little nutty too.

Roger's Pancreas*

How about some love for Sprague Cleghorn and Joe Hall? Maybe not Gilles Gratton like crazy, but these guys pulled some insane stuff on the ice.

Max Bentley seems a little off based on stuff I've read about him too.

Patrick Roy's superstitions are a little nutty too.
Cleghorn is on the top of my list. He's straight out of Slap Shot, but without the comedic angle.
Whenever he played against former Ottawa teammates, Cleghonr often instigated brawls and cheap shots as if he seemed to have a personal vendetta against certain players. In fact, in one playoff game, after Cleghorn viciously cross checked Lionel Hitchmen, his own team fined and suspended him for the rest of the playoffs. The decision was even handed down before the NHL had time to rule on it.

Tired of Cleghorn's ruthlessness and undisciplined play, the Senators decided on releasing the most feared man in hockey in 1921. The league assigned him to the Hamilton Tigers but the Montreal Canadiens desperately wanted the local native as a drawing card for home games. They executed one of the first trades in league history, as Montreal sent Harry Mummery, Cully Wilson and Amos Arbour for Cleghorn and defenseman Bill Couture.

Cleghorn was very upset with Ottawa for letting him go, and was determined to get revenge the only way he knew how. In one of the first clashes between Cleghorn's new team versus his old, reports claimed prior to the game that Sprague would settle the score once and for all with Ottawa for dropping him after he helped them win the 1920 Stanley Cup. He would go on to viciously injure 4 Senator players - Cy Denneny, Frank Nighbor, Tommy Gorman and Eddie Gerard. Cleghorn's disgraceful conduct in resulted police action and even league movement to ban him from the NHL for life. Reportedly two teams would not agree to the ban.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Eddie Shack was crazy. Link Gaetz was several miles down the road from there.

CanadianJariKurriFan

most goalies probably fall into this catagory, either stereotype, or because its true.
ie, I recall mike palmeteer talking to his posts back in the day?

thn had some pretty good articles in the lighter side of hockey yearbook special edition from a year or so ago, ill see if i can dig that up - some pretty crazy stuff in there :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad