Equipment: Top Model Gloves vs Lower Model

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What's the difference between buying $300 gloves as opposed to $100 gloves when there is very little visual difference?

For example CCM Ultra Tacks gloves are super expensive but they have lower model Tacks 2052 gloves at a fraction of the cost which have the same design/pattern/colour. I understand when it comes to sticks there are many things that make the more expensive version better but when it comes to gloves how much more effective can the more expensive model be? Is the only difference mobility and protection?

One more thing while we're on the subject of gloves. Whatever happened to leather gloves. The last time I bought an expensive pair of gloves was almost 10 years ago. I bought Warrior Dolomite's which were to die for. At the time all the top of the line gloves were leather and the cheaper ones seemed to be cloth. Now the fabric is always cloth.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just find the most comfortable fit, IMO, it's all that matters.

I'm still looking for the Easton wrist brace to come back. I loved that feature.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
With more expensive gloves, you get better mobility, better protection, better feel and/or durability in the palm, and often better cooling and moisture management.

Whether those things are worth the money depends on what kind of whacks you take and how much money you have. But priority one is to find a pair that fits the way you want them to.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
My only suggestion is that whatever gloves you buy make sure they have:

1. Some sort of thumb lock (it prevents you from bending your thumb completely backwards)
2. Hard plates on the back of the hand and fingers. The really cheap gloves only have padding.

Other than that it's how good they feel and how much you can afford.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
With more expensive gloves, you get better mobility, better protection, better feel and/or durability in the palm, and often better cooling and moisture management.

Whether those things are worth the money depends on what kind of whacks you take and how much money you have. But priority one is to find a pair that fits the way you want them to.

I'm not sure you do get better durability, at least not from my experience. I think the price you pay, like sticks, is that extra lightness and cutting edge design and materials does not equal greater durability, the opposite in fact.

I upgraded gloves to the top of the line Nexus, great glove, but with mesh down the side of the fingers, I was soon wearing through the mesh. Palms went faster too than my previous pair.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I think you get the best equipment you can afford, but bearing in mind that the higher price doesn't necessarily equate to longer lasting, better wearing or more durable.

One thing I don't spend top dollar on is sticks, because the price differential just doesn't equate to a performance differential for me. Rather have something heavier and tougher that can take a beating. Likewise with shoulders. I don't want to or need to look like Robocop.

Along with skates and helmets, gloves are probably worth spending more on.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

I'm not sure you do get better durability, at least not from my experience. I think the price you pay, like sticks, is that extra lightness and cutting edge design and materials does not equal greater durability, the opposite in fact.

I upgraded gloves to the top of the line Nexus, great glove, but with mesh down the side of the fingers, I was soon wearing through the mesh. Palms went faster too than my previous pair.

I would agree with Goon. You SHOULD get better durability due to better materials, but sometimes that's not the case. Looking at palms for example. Mid range gloves tend not to has as much 'bells and whistles' in palm design and usually feature a simpler double layer nash/clarino etc. material; enough for most people. High end gloves could have thinner palms, which may allow for greater 'feel' or mobility, but not necessarily greater durability.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

It depends on which glove you buy. Some are engineered with performance in mind, some are engineered for durability. There's a tradeoff, and not every brand or model line makes the same choices. My dad used to be a big fan of Eagles for his gloves, and they're built like tanks, but heavy. Buy a pair of Bauers, you'll get performance.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Just my poorly-educated two cents, but I think especially with things like gloves, you need to only pay what you feel comfortable with, and not spring for higher-end the way you might with skates. I've found that with skates, you pay the money up front as you're "moving up" maybe before you quite realize what you're getting, if that makes sense. Whereas with gloves, for the vast majority of players, paying $200 for fancy gloves isn't going to make any noticeable difference in your game (when spending $600 instead of $150 on skates will, eventually).

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I always buy low end gloves, I just don't see a significant difference with higher end models. I go through about a pair a year, so why waste money on higher end gear?

Plus I like having a fresh, clean pair on a semi regular basis.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I always buy low end gloves, I just don't see a significant difference with higher end models. I go through about a pair a year, so why waste money on higher end gear?

That doesn't sound very environmentally friendly; all those gloves in the dump, piled up like old tyres.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
How are you guys wrecking your gloves so quickly? I got a pair of low-end tier easton synergy gloves that are in great shape after 2.5 years.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
The last pair of Vapor gloves I got were instant-break-in whereas lower-end ones before that were difficult to break-in. They didn't open as easily and were generally stiffer initially. Is that just advancement in technology over the years (all modern gloves are easy to break-in) or just because I got better gloves (X 7.0)?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It depends on which glove you buy. Some are engineered with performance in mind, some are engineered for durability. There's a tradeoff, and not every brand or model line makes the same choices. My dad used to be a big fan of Eagles for his gloves, and they're built like tanks, but heavy. Buy a pair of Bauers, you'll get performance.

So true.

A lot of high end gloves are designed with thin palms because pros like the better feel.

That doesn't translate to durability, at all.

It's like with sticks. More expensive largely means lighter and less durable because they are built for performance and not durability.

https://www.true-hockey.com/true-products/gloves/

True Hockey coming out with the Z Palm that literally zips in and out for easy replacement is really interesting. You can get them with any of five different palms that are each designed for either comfort, feel, control, flexibility, or durability.

I have some Bauer Supreme Total One MX3 gloves, but I might look at these the next time I buy a pair.

In general, I always look for closeouts on the previous season for deals on things like gloves, sticks, and skates. The tech doesn't change too much from year to year at this point and I find it better to spend money on high end closeout stuff.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
One more thing while we're on the subject of gloves. Whatever happened to leather gloves. The last time I bought an expensive pair of gloves was almost 10 years ago. I bought Warrior Dolomite's which were to die for. At the time all the top of the line gloves were leather and the cheaper ones seemed to be cloth. Now the fabric is always cloth.

Started phasing that out about 8-10yrs ago, going with a synthetic leather to pretty much now, an all nylon shell. Lighter, completely water resistant, quicker break-in. And while more practicable, "efficient" if you will, I much prefer the old natural leather gloves but then, I also prefer wooden sticks & tube skates... total Dinosaur so there ya go.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
I started with some low end Bauers and only got single season before I had holes in the thumbs. Next was mid level CCM that lasted a month (obviously a defect) which was warrantied. Then I slid my hand into a pair of CCM Ultra Tacks and it was game over. Second season on them now and they feel like new still.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth

How many pairs of gloves have you done through in your hockey playing career?

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I'm still going to strongly recommend hard inserts/plates on the back of the gloves. I've been hit with 60mph+ shots in my hand with prostock gloves and nothing happened other than there was some redness and the pattern of the liner (mesh) was imprinted into the back of my hand. I don't want to think what would have happened if there was just some padding.

Hands have little bones that are easier to break and they in general are more fiddly to put back together than say an arm. But if people don't really slash much and no one shoots that hard then by all means get whatever is comfortable and you can afford.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I can only speak to goalie gloves, but one of the main differences between top of the line Pro models and secondary "Senior" models is that the Pro models are made by hand in Canada, while the Senior models are made only partially by hand in overseas factories. This results in a big boost in durability due to superior craftsmanship and attention to detail. The Pro and Senior models are usually made out of similar if not the same materials (Brian's in particular touts that their Pro and Senior lines are nearly identifical) but the Pro models can feature additional touches that increase comfort, durability, and primarily, protection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad