Speculation: Top Free Agents' New Destinations

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Pieterangelo to Toronto at a home town discount is of course a lock.

The others are harder to pin down.

Got to think Bos will target some secondary scoring. Hoffman or Dadonov to Boston? Granlund??

Hall resigns in Arizona.

Krug to STL? Stays in Boston? Recon Vatanen stays in Carolina.

Thndrstruck

Sep 3, 2011
Calgary
You don't think Colorado will go for any of the big UFA's, despite being the contender with the most capspace?
If Sakic is smart he would stay away and save the cap room for up an coming free agents like Makar and Landeskog. Not sure any of the free agents this year will be worth the cap space.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Bob is a familiar face for him and he did flourish under his all out offensive attack coaching.
Dadonov has decent 2 way play and speed, a bit of grit and a solid net front presence, gets a lot of his goals 2-3 feet from the blue paint.
He sucks on breakaways though, just a tad worried of how well he will age, he disappeared a bit last year but still put up 25 goals.

Thanks for the feedback..Yeah I think term will be key. What’s the feeling around the organization? I know they just hired a new GM but doesn’t Viola want to cut cap spending back by 10MM or so?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Hall - Calgary
Markstrom - VAN
Krug - Buffalo/ NJ
Hoffman - Montreal
Lehner - VGK
Holtby - BUF
Pietrangelo - STL
Barrie - Vancouver
Toffoli - LA
Simmonds - Toronto
Brodie - Ottawa
Dadonov - Washington

Reactions: Flyer lurker

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the feedback..Yeah I think term will be key. What’s the feeling around the organization? I know they just hired a new GM but doesn’t Viola want to cut cap spending back by 10MM or so?

That rumor started with Chris Johnston last time FLA played in TOR but was never backed by anyone in the organization. More and more media guys parroted it, but just the other day it was reported the owners are tired of spending big money on busts/players not living up to their deal.
Don't think that's a stab at Bob, he should rebound to at least above average if we fix the defense.

Dadonov would be the betting fave to come back out of him and Hoffman. He's been here longer, is tight with Barkov and it would help our 5 on 5 play.
I'd re-sign Hoffman though, that shot is not easily replaced (maybe Tippett) but would love to have two snipers and not just one.
we are loaded with playmakers in Huberdeau, Barkov, Denisenko is trending to be one as well. Yandle is also a playmaker from the back end.

As for new GM, its doubtful the owners will allow him carte blanche like Tallon had last year, Id assume they will promote a lot of young guys and possibly re-tool for a year and hope they maybe catch a wildcard if all goes well.

There may not be an AHL season so itd make sense to go young and get them some experience if you know you're not going all in for the Cup.
The draft will tell the story, if we trade the pick for immediate help on defense then were trying to be a playoff team, if we draft 12th, its a building/re-tool year. Q and Zito will want to see what the young kids can do

Obviously biased, but Hoffman to NJ makes way too much sense

If he is chasing money for sure, I'd say 5 years x $6.5 - 7 mil gets it done. He will age fine as he's not overly physical and his speed will stay along with the bullet of a shot. Hoping FLA will re-sign him but it's unlikely they spend big money again.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd like for us to re-sign Brodie. Hamonic can go somewhere else though. If we trade a big contract for futures (Monahan, Giordano or Gaudreau) I wouldn't be opposed to signing Hall to a 3-4 year deal. Anything longer is pretty risky for a player who relies so much on speed.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
With Allen gone now, I'm thinking Petro is a lock to finish his career in STL.

Agree they are front runners.
Give TOR outside chance to come up with unmatchable, excessive $ and term IF IF IF IF
they move Marner and Nylander. Even w/what they take back, they should have enough long term for AP, who will choose bet preference of comfy familiarity v where home was.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Hall - MTL
Markstrom - COL
Krug - DET
Hoffman - BOS
Lehner - CAR
Holtby - BUF
Pietrangelo - STL
Barrie - WPG
Toffoli - NJ
Simmonds - LAK
Brodie - NYI
Haula - BUF
Dadonov - FLA
Granlund : NYR
Vatanen : WPG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Pieterangelo to Toronto at a home town discount is of course a lock.

The others are harder to pin down.

Got to think Bos will target some secondary scoring. Hoffman or Dadonov to Boston? Granlund??

Hall resigns in Arizona.

Krug to STL? Stays in Boston? Recon Vatanen stays in Carolina.

I’d be surprised if Pietrangelo left STL.

I’d love for the Canes to keep Vatanen, but don’t think it’s possible unless they’re sure that Hamilton isn’t re-signing.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Hall - Calgary
Markstrom - VAN
Krug - Buffalo/ NJ
Hoffman - Montreal
Lehner - VGK
Holtby - BUF
Pietrangelo - STL
Barrie - Vancouver
Toffoli - LA
Simmonds - Toronto
Brodie - Ottawa
Dadonov - Washington

Canucks won't be able to afford Barrie, and he isn't a good fit on this team and is redundant. If the money is there, they'd sign Toffoli over Barrie for sure.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Rangers would have to move Deangelo and maybe more, but I see them going 4 yrs 5.25 overpay on Edmundson to get physical LD
Edmundson isn’t very good, why would they move better players to fit him in? Besides, the Rags have some guys like Trouba and Lindgren that can lay the body on D. I don’t think they really need him.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Edmundson isn’t very good, why would they move better players to fit him in? Besides, the Rags have some guys like Trouba and Lindgren that can lay the body on D. I don’t think they really need him.

Well I'd prefer shorter term < $, like 4m per x 3, maybe w/1m signing bonus.
Not sure that gets it done.
I have hopes of moving Trouba's 8m per to DET, tho that would require a serious sweetener. More on that later.
While Lindgren is a mainstay otherwise, elc exempt, he does require exposure to the draft. If I got a high enough return offered, I'm not saying definite, but I would have to have an open mind to consider it.

Although we don't know exactly when we do have reasoned expectations LD K'Andre Miller is here sooner than later.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pietrangelo stays in STL
Hall definitely leaves ARI
Krug stays in BOS
Holtby signs in CHI
Markstrom stays in VAN
Lehner stays in VEG
Hoffman signs in ARI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad