NHL Entry Draft Top 8 picks (#5)

Who do you select 5th overall

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
It’s Drysdale. His performance at the U-20’s is something you don’t see very often as a 17Y/O. Not to mention he was near PPG on Erie, one of the leagues worst teams.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It’s Drysdale. His performance at the U-20’s is something you don’t see very often as a 17Y/O. Not to mention he was near PPG on Erie, one of the leagues worst teams.
Yes he should already be number 4 on the list or higher if he slips any further it wont be a good look. Better player than both Makar and Hughes at the same age and he comes with all the intangibles. His ppg is barely lower than Rossi's and he plays d on a way worse team at the same age.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes he should already be number 4 on the list or higher if he slips any further it wont be a good look. Better player than both Makar and Hughes at the same age and he comes with all the intangibles.His ppg is barely lower than Rossi's and he plays d on a way worse team at the same age.
.96 is barely lower than 2.14? Yikes... Either you aren't clearly saying what you entended, or you might want to check you math.

Or did you mean power play goals? Odd criticism given Rossi acts as a playmaker on the pp. Nobody complained that Spezza didn't score tons of goals on the pp.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
.96 is barely lower than 2.14? Yikes... Either you aren't clearly saying what you entended, or you might want to check you math.

Or did you mean power play goals? Odd criticism given Rossi acts as a playmaker on the pp. Nobody complained that Spezza didn't score tons of goals on the pp.
I mean as 17 year olds playing in the OHL.

1.22 vs .96

Stacked OHL team as a first liner vs a D man on a bad team.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean as 17 year olds playing in the OHL.

1.22 vs .96

Stacked OHL team as a first liner vs a D man on a bad team.
Using Rossi's 17 year old season seems like a good idea on the surface but is foolish when you consider how much Rossi development beat the curve. It isn't normal to see a players production jump that much, by comparing their 17 year old seasons you assume Drysdale will experience a similar development curve which imo is unreasonable.

What is reasonable is to project drysdale forward to narmalize their age, but he is going to be at a disadvanage going forward because he is already getting all the opportunity (pp time, offensive deployment ect) that can be expected where as Rossi likely was not getting the same deployment last year as he did this one.

All this is a bit semantic, i have Drysdale next anyways.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Using Rossi's 17 year old season seems like a good idea on the surface but is foolish when you consider how much Rossi development beat the curve. It isn't normal to see a players production jump that much, by comparing their 17 year old seasons you assume Drysdale will experience a similar development curve which imo is unreasonable.

What is reasonable is to project drysdale forward to narmalize their age, but he is going to be at a disadvanage going forward because he is already getting all the opportunity (pp time, offensive deployment ect) that can be expected where as Rossi likely was not getting the same deployment last year as he did this one.

All this is a bit semantic, i have Drysdale next anyways.

Foolish? Common, Rossi is very advanced physically and from a maturity stand point its not a case where the player just grew or started to realize his potential. I am honestly shocked by the double standars in your post. Its reasonable to not expect an absolutely elite prospect to continue to develop while most others all do?.... That seems very unreasonable.

I fully expect Drysdale to have a massive jump next year he was dominant after the WJC. To think otherwise is just showing a complete bias towards one player. Next year Erie is going to be alot better team too.

Rossi was absolutely getting every opportunity to succeed he was playing first line and first PP with Felhaber and Keating I take it you didnt watch the 67's much last year. Rossi was in a way better situation last year as a 17 year old than Drysdale was this season.

Seems to me there is an unwarranted bias on this board against Drysdale for no explainable reason. The only thing I can think of is people just really want to draft a forward because the sens dont have any game breakers on the team or in the system. I find it all very shocking considering as sens fans we have seen how good Karlsson and Chabot can be in carrying an offense.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Foolish? Common, Rossi is very advanced physically and from a maturity stand point its not a case where the player just grew or started to realize his potential. I am honestly shocked by the double standars in your post. Its reasonable to not expect an absolutely elite prospect to continue to develop while most others all do?.... That seems very unreasonable.
This whole paragraph missrepresents what i said...

Rossi's progression from last year to this year was extrodinary in terms of the jump in production. You can certainly expect drysdale to progress, but its unrealistic to expect the same curve. Drysdale is highly unlikely to see his production nearly double the way Rossi did. Its foolish to expect that so hence why i said its more reasonable to project how Drysdale will develop going forward than it is to essensially dismiss how extrodinary Rossi's year to year improvement was by comparing his 17 year old season to Drysdale this year.

I'm not biased against Drysdale for gods sake i said i had him ranked 5th, ahead of Rossi, but you superficial comparisson of 17 year old seasons is in itself introducing a systemic bias (as in you methodoly is inherently biased towards players being drafted in their 17 year old season for the reasons i went over).

Rossi was absolutely getting every opportunity to succeed he was playing first line and first PP with Felhaber and Keating I take it you didnt watch the 67's much last year. Rossi was in a way better situation last year as a 17 year old than Drysdale was this season
The important bit was that Drysdales opportunity is not likely to improve, if Rossi did in fact get the same degree of opportunity last year that only makes his progression more statistically improbable, it doesn't affect Drysdale's likelihood of following a similar curve.

In terms of physical development, sure Rossi is ahead. However last year he was adapting to the NA game which Drysdale didn't have to do, as well he credits his jump forward to working on his skating which improved quite a bit imo. Again though, the point was more about how uncommon it is for a player in drysdales position to follow the curve that Rossi did experience. You can look back at elit dmen who had big 17 year old seasons and compair ot to their 18 year old seasons if you want, i can't think of too many high ranked 17 year old kids expliding the way rossi did after getting drafted. It simply isnt the norm

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I picked drysdale but I’ll be disappointed if the senators do that passing on Rossi. Not sure what my logic is :)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This whole paragraph missrepresents what i said...

Rossi's progression from last year to this year was extrodinary in terms of the jump in production. You can certainly expect drysdale to progress, but its unrealistic to expect the same curve. Drysdale is highly unlikely to see his production nearly double the way Rossi did. Its foolish to expect that so hence why i said its more reasonable to project how Drysdale will develop going forward than it is to essensially dismiss how extrodinary Rossi's year to year improvement was by comparing his 17 year old season to Drysdale this year.

I'm not biased against Drysdale for gods sake i said i had him ranked 5th, ahead of Rossi, but you superficial comparisson of 17 year old seasons is in itself introducing a systemic bias (as in you methodoly is inherently biased towards players being drafted in their 17 year old season for the reasons i went over).

I dont think its unreasonable at all to see Drysdale score in the 80 to 90 point range next season if they get a full year in. If Hoefenmayer can do it Drysdale certainly can. Id bet if Drysdale played on the 67's this season he would have had 70 + points maybe even more.

So no I dont believe its foolish at all when you look at it comparatively and critically.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I dont think its unreasonable at all to see Drysdale score in the 80 to 90 point range next season if they get a full year in. If Hoefenmayer can do it Drysdale certainly can. Id bet if Drysdale played on the 67's this season he would have had 70 + points maybe even more.

So no I dont believe its foolish at all when you look at it comparatively and critically.
Thats great, you projected a reasonable jump in production for Drysdale, my point is Rossi jumped to a degree that while possible (since he actually did it) would not be reasonable to expect, (particularly for player who were already producing at a high level). If i told you Perfetti would see the same jump in production as Rossi (a 74% increase in pts per game) you call me crazy, Perfetti will continue to improve but he won't be hitting 3.2 pts per game next year, so a flat comparisson of Rossi's 17 year season an Perfetti this year is clearly unreasonable. But, projecting Perfetti to catch up or pass Rossi's production is a reasonable projection hence why lots of people rank Perfetti ahead of Rossi.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Thats great, you projected a reasonable jump in production for Drysdale, my point is Rossi jumped to a degree that while possible (since he actually did it) would not be reasonable to expect, (particularly for player who were already producing at a high level). If i told you Perfetti would see the same jump in production as Rossi (a 74% increase in pts per game) you call me crazy, Perfetti will continue to improve but he won't be hitting 3.2 pts per game next year, so a flat comparisson of Rossi's 17 year season an Perfetti this year is clearly unreasonable. But, projecting Perfetti to catch up or pass Rossi's production is a reasonable projection hence why lots of people rank Perfetti ahead of Rossi.

At some point you have to start taking into accout the talent surrounding all three of these players. Perfetti and Rossi have played for elite teams stacked with talent for two years Drysdale hasnt. Every time Drysdale is surrounded with elite talent (internationally) he has tremendous production compared to his peers.

I dont think anyone that watched Rossi and Perfetti would believe Rossi is the more talented offensive player. Perfetti is clearly more talented from an offensive stand point. Rossi far more complete way better two way player.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
At some point you have to start taking into accout the talent surrounding all three of these players. Perfetti and Rossi have played for elite teams stacked with talent for two years Drysdale hasnt. Every time Drysdale is surrounded with elite talent (internationally) he has tremendous production compared to his peers.

I don't think anyone that watched Rossi and Perfetti would believe Rossi is the more talented offensive player. Perfetti is clearly more talented from an offensive stand point. Rossi far more complete way better two way player.

I only used Perfetti to illustrate the point that comparing 17 year old seasons is a flawed methodology. Yes, I agree Perfetti is the more offensively gifted of the two, but I also think Rossi is the more complete player atm.

As for taking into consideration teams supporting cast, of course it's relevant, but at the same time, it's not as simple as saying on a better team Drysdale would certainly produce significantly more. It's possible, but doesn't always work out that way. Elite players tend to put up points regardless and often find themselves being more relied on when playing for weaker teams, so it's a double edged sword. Karlsson didn't produce more playing with more talent in SJ, for example, Stone didn't see his production rise with the VGK, Duchene saw his production collapse moving away from Ottawa.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I guess I am suffering from typical male disease, as many women have suggested, in that I cant make a commitment to one of these picks. Even though I said in the poll that I’d rather have my best case projection of Sanderson over my worst case projection of Drysdale, when it comes to actually having to commit to a pick now, I just cant click that button.

I’ve only seen enough of some these prospects from some of the clips some of you have graciously posted here. Just enough to get a taste for what they look like on the ice mostly. That and all the discussion is all I have to go on and I find myself too scared to pick one in case im wrong and then have to take responsibility for ruining the franchise. :) The pressure is getting to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad