Tradeable assets for this trade:
Conor Sheary
Daniel Sprong
Ian Cole
Aston-Reese
All other prospects not named Simon or Jarry
2018 1st
2018 2nd

We are looking for an upgrade over Sheary.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I would think you'd have to send hags the other way to shed some cap space too no?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Conor Sheary
Daniel Sprong
Ian Cole
Aston-Reese
2018 1st
2018 2nd

You need to factor in cap considerations though. None of those assets has much salary going out except Sheary. Since we're a cap team that's a variable that needs to be considered.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins don't just need an upgrade over Sheary, they need a physical and defensive top-6 winger. They desperately need a prime Kunitz type of player.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Pacioretty
E. Kane
JVR (Even though why would the Leafs trade someone who is helping their squad making the playoffs "OMG HE HAS 1 YEAR LEFT TRADE HIM FOR PICKS CAUSE THATS WOT WE NEED!")

Some pretty tasty players mhmmmmmmmmmm

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I posted this in the Pacioretty thread. Habs would rather a C, so it would depend on other offers but:

RW Sprong
2018 1st rd pick
2019 2nd rd pick

~for~

LW Pacioretty
(small sweetener)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I posted this in the Pacioretty thread. Habs would rather a C, so it would depend on other offers but:

RW Sprong
2018 1st rd pick
2019 2nd rd pick

~for~

LW Pacioretty
(small sweetener)

This would put Pens way over the cap.

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't Sprong been tearing up the CHL and AHL of late?

Why should the Pens trade Sprong? Why not try him out with the Malkin-Kessel line and see how he works out.
Also, the leafs would never trade JVR, he's scoring @ a 40 goal clip, and seems sustainable .... JVR is the only front of the net presence we have, albeit, he may not be good defensively --- he is a catalyst for the powerplay, and hey its looking like JVR might have a 40 goal season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

RW Sprong
2018 1st rd pick
2019 2nd rd pick

~for~

LW Pacioretty
(small sweetener)

It's not bad value at all, but I don't think Pacioretty is the kind of winger the Penguins should target. They need a good fit for Malkin and Kessel, ideally someone who's fast, gritty and defensively responsible. I know Pacioretty is fast and defensively responsible, but he doesn't have the jam that line needs.

Why should the Pens trade Sprong? Why not try him out with the Malkin-Kessel

Dear Lord, thinking of a Sprong-Malkin-Kessel line trying to play defense makes me cry.

Reactions: Shaffer

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Hasn't Sprong been tearing up the CHL and AHL of late?

Why should the Pens trade Sprong? Why not try him out with the Malkin-Kessel line and see how he works out.
Also, the leafs would never trade JVR, he's scoring @ a 40 goal clip, and seems sustainable .... JVR is the only front of the net presence we have, albeit, he may not be good defensively --- he is a catalyst for the powerplay, and hey its looking like JVR might have a 40 goal season.
Sprong isnt producing 5v5 in the AHL. He snipes goals...on the powerplay. His defensive play is still bad and he is often out of position. He also turns the puck over in his own zone more than normal. He’s still a valuable prospect, but you don’t always have a chance for a three peat. But we aren’t trading Sprong to trade him. It must be for a clear and major upgrade on C or LW.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Conor Sheary
Daniel Sprong
Ian Cole
Aston-Reese
2018 1st
2018 2nd

Don't need an upgrade over Sheary. The dude is a heavy whipping boy now. We have other glaring needs.

We should be saving out top picks instead of dealing them. Our first round pick this year will be much more valuable then years past.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I don't want Pacioretty. He's a good skater, good defensively and has an excellent shot, but he's way too soft. We should be focused on improving the bottom 6 depth not the top 6.

I'd consider Sheary for JVR if JVR's not asking for too much.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
As Top 6 wingers available you have E. Kane, Patches, JVR, and possibly Patrick Maroon.

I think that the would probably target the Kane/Maroon type players because that's what they're missing.

Sprong/1st/Hagelin/2nd

Kane

Or possibly

Aston-Reese/Hagelin/2nd

Maroon

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
As Top 6 wingers available you have E. Kane, Patches, JVR, and possibly Patrick Maroon.

I think that the would probably target the Kane/Maroon type players because that's what they're missing.

Sprong/1st/Hagelin/2nd

Kane

Or possibly

Aston-Reese/Hagelin/2nd

Maroon
Why would the Oilers move the better player and take on a cap dump?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Why would the Oilers move the better player and take on a cap dump?
because they get a pick and a prospect instead of nothing if marron leaves. also, i'm pretty sure the team acquiring the rental is also acquiring the better player in the deal is fairly common in trades.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
because they get a pick and a prospect instead of nothing if marron leaves. also, i'm pretty sure the team acquiring the rental is also acquiring the better player in the deal is fairly common in trades.
Wishful thinking. I'm sure the Pens would love to unload Hagelin's extra year while getting a good player for the cost of a measly 2nd round pick.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Sprong/1st/Hagelin/2nd

Kane

Or possibly

Aston-Reese/Hagelin/2nd

Maroon
That Kane one is god awful. Rentals don't cost THAT much, come on son!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad