Value of: TOP 6 Centre to Canucks via trade or UFA

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
That's too rich for us to warrant. We shouldn't give up a mid pick for a guy we are essentially using as a placeholder. We'd be better off just holding onto Gagner and playing him at the 2C.
Fair enough. I honestly can't see Dallas taking any less because the chance of him bouncing back is worth more than a pick worse than a 3rd to us

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Fair enough. I honestly can't see Dallas taking any less because the chance of him bouncing back is worth more than a pick worse than a 3rd to us
Yeah if you guy's were more pressed for cap it would make more sense. But when you have the cap space to sign say Kovalchuk on his own that would go a long way. Looking at it, the only way I could see you guys paying to move Spezza is if you landed JT and Kovalchuk. However that would severely handcuff you down the road for Seguin's extension.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Dallas seems set on keeping Spezza according to Shapiro but if Vancouver dont want to commit to term on a UFA and want a veteran center for a single year then Spezza at 50% could be had for cheap I assume

He would have to waive so im not sure of it would work
Pretty sure that Spezza is already on record saying that he has no desire to play in Canada again, And besides Spezza isn't waiving to leave Dallas for a bottom feeder like Vancouver. He'll want to go to a contender not pretender.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Not sure how Vancouver plans on acquiring a top 6 Center through a trade, When it's quite obvious that the pieces that those teams would want them to surrender for their top 6 Centers are't available.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
What would be the point of acquiring a player like Stastny?

All that does it keep them picking in the 6 - 9 range instead of bottoming out and landing a potential franchise player through the draft

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
What would be the point of acquiring a player like Stastny?

All that does it keep them picking in the 6 - 9 range instead of bottoming out and landing a potential franchise player through the draft

The point of acquiring Stastny is helping an elite prospect like Pettersson reach his potential. Giving him confidence and allowing him to learn and compete.

I still dont understand why people think players just magically develop under losing cultures.

And Stasrny is not the difference whether or not the Canucks would be picking in the top 3 ot top 9 next year. At the end of the day it comes down to lottery luck. I would take stastny and risk it over a few measly percentages at the lottery..

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The point of acquiring Stastny is helping an elite prospect like Pettersson reach his potential. Giving him confidence and allowing him to learn and compete.

I still dont understand why people think players just magically develop under losing cultures.

And Stasrny is not the difference whether or not the Canucks would be picking in the top 3 ot top 9 next year. At the end of the day it comes down to lottery luck. I would take stastny and risk it over a few measly percentages at the lottery..

At the 7 million per it will likely take to sign him, he'd better be the difference between picking in the top 3 vs picking 9th

Teams should be spending money when they're ready to compete, otherwise they should be saving their cap space for when they are

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
At the 7 million per it will likely take to sign him, he'd better be the difference between picking in the top 3 vs picking 9th

Teams should be spending money when they're ready to compete, otherwise they should be saving their cap space for when they are

If canucks feel like he would be an amazing asset in developing Elias then they can offer him 9 mil /year for 3 yrs

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
OK Ill bite....I am one who believes that Mika has peaked and his play is low 1c high 2c.
Its a gamble but we have decent depth...so 2018 1st and Virtanen

Mika and your choice of Spooner or Nam or maybe both include a 2019 2nd.

Pick 7 + Virtanen for Zibanejad + Spooner + 2nd? I take this and run if im the nucks

Zibanejad would have been a 30g/55pt player this year had he not missed 10 games. right now he is a low 1C/high 2C. that would be a solid 1-2 with horvat. Spooner had 41pts in 59 games (that would have been 5th on the nucks). probably a 50-60pt guy with PP ice time in Van.

Baertschi-Horvat - Boeser
Eriksson-Zibanejad-Pettersson
Leipsic - Gagner - Spooner
Jokinen-Sutter-Granlund

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If canucks feel like he would be an amazing asset in developing Elias then they can offer him 9 mil /year for 3 yrs

That's a lot of money to spend to help a prospect develop! And besides, isn't that the job of the coaching staff?

If I were the owner, I certainly wouldn't want my GM being so cavalier with my cash. It is, after all, a business

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad