Value of: TOP 6 Centre to Canucks via trade or UFA

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks will start Elias Petterssons career at Right Wing. With Henrik Sedin retired, the Canucks currently only have Bo Horvat as a top 6 centre. Bo has chemistry with Brock Boeser so that duo will stay in tact.

That leaves the Canucks in search for a top 6 centre to play with Elias.

Which UFAs would be a good target

Or

Which teams have an available top 6 centre for trade.

Some players i heard rumblings about are Jason Spezza or Artem Anisimov.

Throw some offers folks.

* Canucks wont be looking to trade high draft picks but players available would be Tanev , Hutton , Baertschi, Granlund, Sutter, markstrom, Nillson, etc..

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Canucks don’t have many attractive trade pieces for a true top 6 center. Best bet would probably be to offer a low pick for Spezza and Dallas might bite. Maybe statsny as a ufa if they’re willing to pay the price

Winston2018

Winston The Maltipoo
Feb 5, 2018
NNJ
OK Ill bite....I am one who believes that Mika has peaked and his play is low 1c high 2c.
Its a gamble but we have decent depth...so 2018 1st and Virtanen

Mika and your choice of Spooner or Nam or maybe both include a 2019 2nd.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
We aren't in a smart position to give up assets for a centre. Assuming no trades or UFA signings our forward group is crazy crowded already, but just for sakes of putting it on paper:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-Gagner-Pettersson
Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen
Leipsic-Sutter-Gaunce/Granlund

That's still leaving out Motte and Dahlen.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
OK Ill bite....I am one who believes that Mika has peaked and his play is low 1c high 2c.
Its a gamble but we have decent depth...so 2018 1st and Virtanen

Mika and your choice of Spooner or Nam or maybe both include a 2019 2nd.
Hell no- we aren't in a position to offer up our 2018-2020 1st round picks for anyone at this point of our rebuild.

Reactions: Cogburn

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Victor Rask for Brandon Sutter after Sutter’s bonus is paid?

Rask has had a rough ~17 months culminating in recent shoulder surgery. However, he’s younger and has much higher offensive upside. Rask is Swedish to boot.

Carolina shaves 1 year and $3.625 mil from the books in this swap.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

Rask has had a rough ~17 months culminating in recent shoulder surgery. However, he’s younger and has much higher offensive upside. Rask is Swedish to boot.

Not ideal for us really. As much as Sutter is overpaid, he's crucial to allowing Bo to have offensive zone starts. If we moved Sutter, Bo would literally have to do everything at the center position for this team.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
VanRiemsdyk - Bozak - Boeser
Goldobin - Horvat - Pettersson
Gaunce - - Gagner - - Baertshi
Dowd - - - Sutter - - - Gaudett

No Bozak is not a #1 C, but that would be a crazy line offensively

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just need a veteran to do some work for another 1-3 seasons until the teams' ready to come together. I think the main goal for this season should be a bottom out. Pettersson is an elite talent, but Vancouver needs another top guy to get this show on the road (they won't be getting it with the 7th OA), perfect year to do it with some elite centres hitting the map in 2019.

I'd look at someone like Bozak. Potential buy-middle type pickup (won't cost a small fortune); maybe 4 year deal. Use him similar to how Leafs used him and Marner in his rookie season.

In theory, at the start of the 2019 season you'd love to have:

X - Hughes - Pettersson
X - Horvat - Boeser
X - Bozak - X

Like, that's the start of something good.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Thats just what I was thinking. What do you think of Stastny?
Basically with any UFA's for us this year it's all about term. We have the cap space to essentially sign anyone- but we need to keep the term down. Stastny I would pay 8M on a 2 year deal if that's the route we were to go and be fine with it. That being said I doubt Stastny would be just looking for a short term pay day at his age.

I think we would be better off staying quiet in early free agency other than JT and John Carlsson. Once they are gone, then let everyone else overpay and then we swoop in on short term high AAV guys.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

I wouldnt mind this if we can somehow get a 3C replacement to handle the tough matchups. As a poster mentioned, sutter is valuable just for the sole reason of making life easier for Horvat.

If and when Gaudette is ready, then sutter will be moved.

Reactions: THE Green Man

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Basically with any UFA's for us this year it's all about term. We have the cap space to essentially sign anyone- but we need to keep the term down. Stastny I would pay 8M on a 2 year deal if that's the route we were to go and be fine with it. That being said I doubt Stastny would be just looking for a short term pay day at his age.

I think we would be better off staying quiet in early free agency other than JT and John Carlsson. Once they are gone, then let everyone else overpay and then we swoop in on short term high AAV guys.

So who would those short term high AAV guys be?

Stastny
Thornton
Bozak

Who else ?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Dallas seems set on keeping Spezza according to Shapiro but if Vancouver dont want to commit to term on a UFA and want a veteran center for a single year then Spezza at 50% could be had for cheap I assume

He would have to waive so im not sure of it would work

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
So who would those short term high AAV guys be?

Stastny
Thornton
Bozak

Who else ?
That's basically it. Not a good group of UFA's other than the 2 big fish. I'm fine with going into the season with Gagner as the 2C if it means we don't throw term at a borderline guy like Bozak.
Dallas seems set on keeping Spezza according to Shapiro but if Vancouver dont want to commit to term on a UFA and want a veteran center for a single year then Spezza at 50% could be had for cheap I assume

He would have to waive so im not sure of it would work
What would you want for him at 50% then? At 50% he's probably worth something, that being said, we have the cap space to make it work without retention so I doubt that would be part of the discussion.

Without retention, I understand you have the cap already not to need to move him, and hope he bounces back without Hitch holding him down to the 4th line. However, if you want to make a splash and try to get say short term deal with Thornton and Kovalchuk maybe Spezza should be expendable. What would be the highest pick you'd give up to move the contract in full?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Thats just what I was thinking. What do you think of Stastny?
Term....

Have to move Elias to C sometime during his ELC. Don’t want him to get overly comfortable on the wing.

I’d roll the dice with gaudette and let it ride unless I find someone for a 3 year term or less.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's basically it. Not a good group of UFA's other than the 2 big fish. I'm fine with going into the season with Gagner as the 2C if it means we don't throw term at a borderline guy like Bozak.

What would you want for him at 50% then? At 50% he's probably worth something, that being said, we have the cap space to make it work without retention so I doubt that would be part of the discussion.

Without retention, I understand you have the cap already not to need to move him, and hope he bounces back without Hitch holding him down to the 4th line. However, if you want to make a splash and try to get say short term deal with Thornton and Kovalchuk maybe Spezza should be expendable. What would be the highest pick you'd give up to move the contract in full?
I would bank on spezza having the Canucks as a team on his mNtc list.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I would bank on spezza having the Canucks as a team on his mNtc list.
No doubt, I'm more just saying along those lines of a rental type guy if we can get assets for him. Honestly best case scenario for us would be to match Jumbo's 1 year 8M deal he got this year. Hopefully he can stay healthy and we move him at 50% retention at the TDL for a pick. We also would have MDZ and Nilson to move at the TDL for picks too, along with potentially Hutton, Baertschi and Granlund (latter 2 dependent on term they get this off season). Might as well stock up for the 2019 draft in Vancouver.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

He very likely wouldnt waive but I would take a 2018 3rd for him if you guys actually wanted him

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
He very likely wouldnt waive but I would take a 2018 3rd for him if you guys actually wanted him
That's too rich for us to warrant. We shouldn't give up a mid pick for a guy we are essentially using as a placeholder. We'd be better off just holding onto Gagner and playing him at the 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad