Top 50 players in the league #22

Who is the 22nd best player in the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Stone edged out Aho by two votes.

The ranking thus far:

(17F-3D-1G)

1) Connor McDavid
2) Nikita Kucherov
3) Nathan MacKinnon
4) Leon Draisaitl
5) Victor Hedman
6) Auston Matthews
7) Artemi Panarin
8) Sidney Crosby
9) Andrei Vasilevskiy
10) Aleksander Barkov
11) Patrick Kane
12) Brad Marchand
13) Cale Makar
14) Jack Eichel
15) Brayden Point
16) David Pastrnak
17) Mikko Rantanen
18) Jonathan Huberdeau
19) Alexander Ovechkin
20) Adam Fox
21) Mark Stone

Suggestions on who to add are welcome.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Took Aho and thought about ROR and heck a couple of other guys as well.

Ovi at 19 wow but whatever reputation.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
LOL. This list is a joke. Marner, 4th in league scoring, is not even in line to be the 22nd best player. Most of the names ahead of him make this endeavour laughable.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
LOL. This list is a joke. Marner, 4th in league scoring, is not even in line to be the 22nd best player. Most of the names ahead of him make this endeavour laughable.
There isn't a single player currently listed in that top 21 that I would trade for Marner. Regular season points are great and all but winning matters more. All of the players ahead of Marner give you a better chance of winning, particularly in the playoffs. Smaller, one dimensional wingers aren't usually thought of as highly as centers and defensemen, unless they're at a Patrick Kane-level of dominance.

All I know if there's no way I'd much rather go into a playoff series with, say, Cale Makar, Brayden Point or Mark Stone than I would Marner.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He also leads his team in playoff points, over the last 5 years.

There's definitely been a problem with playoff scoring, but it's a TEAM problem, not a Marner problem.

He’s got 0 goals, 8 assists in 12 games over the past two seasons- i like Marner, but people could easily argue that recent playoff performance hurts him.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
There isn't a single player currently listed in that top 21 that I would trade for Marner. Regular season points are great and all but winning matters more. All of the players ahead of Marner give you a better chance of winning, particularly in the playoffs. Smaller, one dimensional wingers aren't usually thought of as highly as centers and defensemen, unless they're at a Patrick Kane-level of dominance.

All I know if there's no way I'd much rather go into a playoff series with, say, Cale Makar, Brayden Point or Mark Stone than I would Marner.
Mark Stone had a worse playoffs than Marner. He was noticably worse vs MTL then Marner was. Stone isn't an elite playoff perfromer. I'd take the first two for sure, but Stone goes ghost come playoffs similar to marner

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
What a shocker.
You are, quite literally, the last person on this site who should ever be inferring bias. Hell, I voted for Aho here and the Hurricanes aren't anywhere near my list of favorite teams.

Looking at just the last four players voted in on this poll, you have a PPG+ multiple Selke finalist, last year's Norris winner, the greatest goalscorer of all time and bigger, better all-around version of Marner who has scored at practically the same rate these last four years.

I think you're the one who needs to check their bias.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Mark Stone had a worse playoffs than Marner. He was noticably worse vs MTL then Marner was. Stone isn't an elite playoff perfromer. I'd take the first two for sure, but Stone goes ghost come playoffs similar to marner

I do think Stone's playoff performances get overlooked because he's HF's analytics darling. But if you look at his playoff resume, he has one playoff run (12 points in 7 games) that lifts otherwise mediocre totals up.

The playoff runs where his teams went far, his numbers are really quite disappointing considering how he's viewed. 8 points in 19 games for Ottawa, 17 points in 20 games for Vegas (decent), and 8 points in 19 games for Vegas. If any other "star" player produced like that in those playoff runs, they probably would have a reputation for not producing when it counts.

Reactions: hamzarocks

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I do think Stone's playoff performances get overlooked because he's HF's analytics darling. But if you look at his playoff resume, he has one playoff run (12 points in 7 games) that lifts otherwise mediocre totals up.

The playoff runs where his teams went far, his numbers are really quite disappointing considering how he's viewed. 8 points in 19 games for Ottawa, 17 points in 20 games for Vegas (decent), and 8 points in 19 games for Vegas. If any other "star" player produced like that in those playoff runs, they probably would have a reputation for not producing when it counts.

Yeah. Stone is one of the most overrated players I've seen in recent years. In addition to disappearing every playoffs, he has never even hit 75pts but there are people who try to "argue" he's the best W in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad