Top 5 most intimidating building in NHL history?

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by BenchBrawl, Apr 1, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl joueur de hockey

Make your top five and describe if you have the time , I'm really curious about this...

2. BamBamCam*

BamBamCam* Guest

Is there anymore? Most buildings do not have the character like they did when the Garden and Forum were around. Throw in parity and I am not sure home ice has the affect it once had.

3. BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl joueur de hockey

I said history , couldn't care less if there's modern building or not on the list.

4. Axxellien

Axxellien Registered User

Bizz.
    Top 5:

1= Chicago Stadium
    2=Boston Gardens
    3=Philadelphia Spectrum
    4= Detroit Olympia= Joe Louis Arena, Detroit.
    5= Le Colisée, Québec

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  5. Psycho Papa Joe

Psycho Papa Joe Porkchop Hoser

Forensic Accountant
    Home Page:
    The Forum in Montreal
    The Philadelphia Spectrum
    Chicago Stadium
    Maple Leaf Gardens
    The Olympia in Detroit

6. Power Man

Power Man Grrrr

Man I miss those old arenas; there was something about them that modern stadiums don't have.

Plus, most of them didnt have corporate names

7. IggyFan12

IggyFan12 Registered User

I would have to say one of them would be the Calgary Corral. Never say a game there but the Flames made it all the way to the Conference Finals their first year in Calgary. 8000 fans and I heard it felt like they were standing on top of you. I have played there a couple of times and find it very hard to believe Wayne Gretzky and Lanny McDonald played against one another at that very rink.

8. Fire Sweeney

Fire Sweeney Registered User

1.Boston Garden
    2.Philadelphia Spectrum
    3.Chicago Stadium
    4.Maple Leaf Garden
    5.The old red barn in Detroit

Visiting fans had to keep quiet in the first 2 or else they were leaving in a body bag.

9. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

1. Boston Garden
    2. Montreal Forum
    3. Philadelphia Spectrum
    4. Chicago Stadium
    5. Any number of other places.

The first 4 are definitely top-5, no question about it.

10. JWells16

JWells16 Registered User

The Spectrum and the Garden were the first that I thought about.

11. Stephen

Stephen Registered User

Home Page:
    Interesting. As a Leafs fan, I never thought of Maple Leaf Gardens as an intimidating place to play for the opposition...

12. Fresh Prince

Fresh Prince Go Red Wings!

The Gaylord Entertainment Arena :sarcasm:

13. Killion

Killion Registered User

1) Chicago Stadium
    2) The Spectrum
    3) Boston Garden
    4) Montreal Forum
    5) Detroit Olympia

14. Blades of Glory

Blades of Glory Troll Captain

Investment banker
    I doubt anyone enjoyed playing the Big Bad Bruins on the Garden's 191 X 83 ice surface. There was literally nowhere to run or hide. :laugh:

15. C77

C77 Registered User

Look at the fans hanging over the glass...:laugh: Pens announcers..."What is it about this rink, this building, this atmosphere?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0CO2CmWV5c ....

"The Bruins I have to say are better at grandstanding than any team in the National Hockey League...They play to this crowd unbelievable."

Let's just say that Boston, New York, and Philadelphia have a lot of Irish...I can say that because I'm Irish :laugh:

16. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Me neither. Don't get me wrong there was a lot of classic hockey played in those arenas but it was more the experience of being there rather than the whole feeling of the intimidation factor. Although the crowd was boisterous every time I went there. Could be the low ceiling, but I've never heard noise anywhere near that in the ACC.

Can't argue with those choices. There are too few places in hockey that you would classify as "hostile" today. I suppose Philly still is although they change the name of the place every 5 minutes. Joe Louis Arena still has that "feel" to it despite only being around since 1979. You can watch a game and you still know you're in Detroit just based on the fan's heads popping up after a goal. I think they've lost that in these new stadiums. You'd watch a game on TV at Maple Leaf Gardens and there'd be a breakaway and a guy would stand up in front of the camera (not blocking it but just at the bottom of the frame) and it almost gave you an intimate feel that you were there. I can't describe it. But you saw that in the Forum too with the camera angles.

There are way too many cookie cutter buildings around and they didn't have to make them that way either. I will say one thing, Madison Square Garden still has that "feel" about it and the Bell Centre does too in Montreal. I would call that a hostile arena and it's different from the others.

But if you've been to St Pete's Times Forum (Tampa) or the ACC (Toronto) you've pretty much been to both and that applies to most of the arenas which is a shame

17. newfy

newfy Registered User

The second video you can clearly here someone yelling take she shield off you chicken **** several times during that fight

18. Merya

Merya Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist

Psychosocialstudies
    Montreal definitely. The crowd is like a pack of hungry hyenas just waiting for someone to be hung, drawn and quartered.

19. Pie O My

Pie O My Registered User

The Hartford Civic Center used to be a pretty intimidating place to play and watch a game.....but not for the opponents or opposing fans. ;)

This was especially true when the Bruins or Rangers were in town.

20. CHGoalie27

CHGoalie27 GWAAARRRRRRR

LOL @ those who left out Madison Square Garden

21. mike1262

mike1262 Registered User

The Buffalo Memorial Auditorium could get really, really loud. The upper orange seats were so incredibly steep, you were right on top of the ice.

22. FiveForDrawingBlood

FiveForDrawingBlood Registered User

1. Montreal Forum - That team had so much talent it was unreal. They won like 15 Stanley Cups from 1955 to 1979, which is crazy. I remember watching opposing teams listen to Roger Doucet bellow out O' Canada and they would look up at all those banners and being star struck. I think my favorite game there was night they close the arena. I have never seen a time like that in sports before or since. 20,000 people and not a dry eye in the building.

2. Philadelphia Spectrum - you go in there in a playoff game in the '70s. With the tough gang they had and Kate Smith signing. When she sang the atmosphere made your skin tingle. Remember the sign guy? He can't still be living? I think favorite game from there was "they are going home game!"

3. Chicago Stadium - that was a noisy place! That organ and those fans, it would almost bust your eardrums watching on tv. Hawks had some good teams in late '60s and early 70s. Favorite game would be the Habs comeback in Game 7 of '71 Finals, I will never forget Lemaire scoring from center ice on a floater slapshot. It turned the game around.

4. Boston Garden - smallest rink in NHL and a big, tough team - what a combination! The camera angle seemed to be directly over top of the ice - which I loved. Those fans were cruel. Remember the night watching on tv Pat Quinn creamed Bobby Orr in a playoff game. I thought the fans would tear him apart.

Tie 5. Nassau Coliseum - It was an old fashion rink and they had some good teams in late '70s and early '80s. I always thougth that rink had the best fans for making signs, during a playoff series anyway. Favorite game would be Lanny McDonald scoring in overtime of Game 7. As a Habs fan you don't know how glad I was to see the Islanders upset! Chico...Chico...Chico! I shouted to my Islanders friends at school for days.

Tie 5. Maple Leafs Gardens - More outstanding atmosphere than intimadating. I never seen their heyday in early '60s. But can remember the battles in the mid-70s between the Leafs and Habs and Flyers also. The Hewitts were outstanding announcers and their fans were crazy into the game. Remember the night some of the Flyers when into the stands. That had us on edge of our seats for awhile. Favorite game there would be Sittler 10 point night. It was a classic on hockey night in canada.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  23. hahahahaha thats exactly what im saying :handclap:

24. Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus Fugu Invicta

Sign guy is still alive, kicking, and making signs at Philly games!

25. FiveForDrawingBlood

FiveForDrawingBlood Registered User

Geez, he must be old. Been like 40 years ago, he was an adult then