Speculation: Top 5 leading scorers for 2018-2019 - #1

Who will be #1 in points for 2018-2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
My prediction is that whichever pair (Matthews/Nylander & Tavares/Marner) is stuck with Hyman on their LW is going to struggle putting up points. Now... even with them "struggling" they still may go around point per game... but those pairs without Hyman I think are capable of 100+ points (with 60+ goals for Matthews/Tavares). Just gotta use Johnsson and Marleau in the top 6.

If Hyman plays in the bottom 6, I think we could have at least 4 players with over 100 points... and Matthews and Tavares could both break 50 goals. We could have Matthews and Tavares go #1 and #2 in goal scoring.

Matthews is just a pure goal scorer and will be one of the best goal scorers of all time.

Tavares is elite and has Marner on his wing.

I think we'll be getting around 5 goals a game most nights.

Hyman is not as bad as you're making him out to be...

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yes agreed.
But to say whoever will play with hyman will struggle to get points is just incorrect.

Hyman is a very useful player (no question about it) but players like Matthews, Marner, and Tavares are going to get their points regardless of who they are playing with but playing with the same level of forwards give them a better chance of getting more points.

Babcock has played him with Matthews but that does not mean that he is a top line winger, there are definitely better offensive players on this roster that deserve to play on top 2 lines

Reactions: Leafs1993

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I went with Mitchell Marner. He's already nasty on the powerplay and now adding a legit player on his line when it comes to 5v5 is only going to make him better and get more points.. The first 30~ games of the season last year Marner really struggled and still ended up with 60+ points, I think with JT beside him up the middle of the ice, he doesn't struggle this year.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Depends on how they're used. Does Babcock see a clear #1 line, does he arrange a stacked PP or split into two groups, does he align 3 studs together, how do overtime games get managed. The talent is there, how it's used...

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Hello leaf fans

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer. I, like many other leaf fans, am very excited for this upcoming season. Don’t know if this thread has been done already, if so I apologize.

Who do you think will be #1 in points this season? I will do a poll for the next 5 days to find out who will be the top 5 in points based on your predictions. Might be fun to look back at the end of the season.

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:

My vote for #1 is Matthews. I believe a healthy Matthews gets 80-85 points this year.

1. Hyman
2. Hainsey
3. Carrick
4. Lindholm
5. Marchment
6. Holl
7. Matthews
8. Marner
9. Tavares

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think JT, Matthews and Marner will all score a tonne, but I’d guess JT will lead us in scoring. His main edge over Matthews, IMO, will come on the PP. Matthews is elite at ES, but still figuring things out on the PP, and PPs are big sources of points for top scorers. I expect JT to put up substantially more PP points than Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad