Top 5 (22 and under): NJD vs MTL vs DET vs OTT vs BUF vs ANA

Best

• NJD: J.Hughes-Holtz-Mercer-L.Hughes-Nemec

• MTL: Suzuki-Caufield-Slafkovsky-Dach-Guhle

• DET: Raymond-Berggren-Seider-Edvinsson-Cossa(G)

• OTT: Stutzle-Tkachuk-Greig-Pinto-Sanderson

• BUF: Cozens-Quinn-Krebs-Power-Dahlin

• ANA: Zegras-McTavish-Drysdale-Mintyukov-Zellweger

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Is this a joke? So it’s not cherry picking to conveniently exclude this most recent season when Hughes wiped the floor with Stutzle? Lol
Once again, needing to explain the obvious.... Hughes has played a full season MORE than Stutzle.

Im not even suggesting Stutzle will be a better player, but hes shown a very good progression over his first 2 seasons much like Hughes has. The poster said "noone comes close to Hughes" yet Stutzle is on the rise, still very young. I mean it wouldnt be a shock at all to see him "close" to Hughes when their both in their primes, or see Stutzle at a PPG this coming season. Both players have VERY high ceilings.

Reactions: cole von cole

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is this a joke? So it’s not cherry picking to conveniently exclude this most recent season when Hughes wiped the floor with Stutzle? Lol

Well, it’s actually kind of interesting, because the samples are closer if you take Stutzle after being moved to C:

Hughes 49 GP 26G 30A 56 PTS
Stutzle 56 GP 19G 26A 45 PTS

And in his sophomore season? I think there’s potential there to compete with Hughes.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
NJ is maybe the obvious one here on first glance but I rate Seider highest of this entire list and also really like Raymond. I also have most trust in Detroit's plan so I'm gonna pick them.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Well, it’s actually kind of interesting, because the samples are closer if you take Stutzle after being moved to C:

Hughes 49 GP 26G 30A 56 PTS
Stutzle 56 GP 19G 26A 45 PTS

And in his sophomore season? I think there’s potential there to compete with Hughes.
I don’t disagree. I think Stutzle has sky high potential. But this thread has to take into account what these players are now. And Hughes is the only one who’s shown he’s an offensive superstar.

Based jsut off potential the wings also have an argument here with Seider already being a 1D and Edvinsson having the potential to be just as good if not better. And Cossa being an elite goalie. But again I think you have to respect what Jerseys group has already done.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pretty comfortably choosing the Devils here.

Buffalo prob 2nd (but im including a lot of their guys not listed here, they have a really impressive list of prospects/players under 22)... im just not sure there is a 1c on that list.

The rest im indifferent on, prob all around same tier.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Tim Stutzle has actually played more professional hockey games in his career than Jack Hughes has - 132 NHL games + 41 DEL games = 173 against Hughes's 164 NHL games.

And Hughes is only 8 months older than Stutzle, and 8 months is about as much development time as he lost between when the 2020-21 season ended in March 2021 and the return to play in Jan 2022.

So I'm not sure where this idea that Stutzle is the fountain of youth while Hughes is a finished product is coming from.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wow, DEL games, ok.

What has Senators fans excited is that he looks like a completely different player in his natural position at C and he only has around 60 games there at the NHL level.

I don’t think anyone is saying Hughes is a completed product, but I think I would disagree if you’re arguing that Tim has more experience.

It’s always possible that Stutzle takes a step backward, but in general there is a lot of optimism with respect to his recent development and in particular if he sees someone like Alex DeBrincat or Drake Batherson as a more regular linemate.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Jack Hughes *is* a superstar, right now, today. He was pretty easily over a point per game on a NJ team that didn't have a functional power play.

Stutzle is already very good and will likely be a star, but c'mon, Hughes had only 2 fewer points (and more goals!) in 30 fewer games. Hughes is objectively the superior player by a country mile, and he's only 8 months older than Stutzle is.

It's really not close, like at all. Again, no disrespect to Stutzle, but Jack Hughes is special and will be entering top-10 NHL forward territory as soon as next season.

8 months ago, Hughes was objectively a worse player than Stutzle is today.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
8 months ago, Hughes was objectively a worse player than Stutzle is today.
Eight months ago he was rehabbing his shoulder. Then came back and put up 53 points in 47 games.

Whenever this comes up everyone posts the first two year comparison, but then ignores the contextual elements like Hughes having a child’s body and being literally the first player to go directly to the NHL from the USNTDP, while also refusing to stake a claim for Stutzle putting up 1.14ppg like Hughes did last season.

Reactions: Devils Army

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
That's great, but Hughes had as many points and more goals than Stutzle did in 30 fewer game while centering Yegor Sharangovich and a 19 year old.

Hughes made a much bigger leap going from the USNDT to the NHL, something no player in history has ever done. He was pretty clearly not physically ready for the NHL and only played because of his draft status. Stutzle spent a year playing against men in a professional league and walked into the NHL in a much better position than Hughes did.

As far as I can tell Stutzle has only missed 6 games in his NHL career. Hughes lost 33 just this season, and while he didn't actually miss time with COVID last year (because the Devils season was halted while he was sick) he was clearly not the same player when he came back. He lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 lbs during his illness and his on-ice play was greatly impacted.

I get it, Stutzle is a good young player but this is silly. Hughes's points per game was closer to Auston Matthews than it was to Tim Stutzle. Hughes is in a completely different stratosphere.

It would be comparable to Devils fans trying to say that Luke Hughes might be as good as Cale Makar. Like, c'mon. Go ahead, be excited for your guy, but this is not the hill for you to die on.

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Some Devil's fans seriously underestimating Stutzle with some of their arguments IMO but I guess we'll just see what happens this upcoming season. Should be interesting to see a full season with Stutzle at C with debrincat and batherson as his wingers.

Clearly not worth arguing if the gap between him and Jack Hughes is being compared to Luke Hughes and Makar.

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit and Bileur

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Once again, needing to explain the obvious.... Hughes has played a full season MORE than Stutzle.
Keep that same energy when youre comparing Stutzle and Raymond and their extremely similar seasons. If one is on track to be a superstar so is the other

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Hate to say it but New Jersey
But Rangers should’ve been included

Kravtsov-Lafreniere-Miller-Kakko-Othmann (& Chytil)
Schneider.

Jack Hughes *is* a superstar, right now, today. He was pretty easily over a point per game on a NJ team that didn't have a functional power play.

Stutzle is already very good and will likely be a star, but c'mon, Hughes had only 2 fewer points (and more goals!) in 30 fewer games. Hughes is objectively the superior player by a country mile, and he's only 8 months older than Stutzle is.

It's really not close, like at all. Again, no disrespect to Stutzle, but Jack Hughes is special and will be entering top-10 NHL forward territory as soon as next season.
He is top ten right now.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Add Samuelsson and Peterka for the Sabres to appreciate their depth in young talent.

The former will certainly be in the top-4 on opening night, and the latter has an excellent chance of making the team.

It's entirely possible the Sabres will have 7 22 and under roster players this season.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What a stupid f***ing argument, Hughes was also on pace for 95-100 points this year with a revolving door of wingers next to him constantly.

No, this is a f***ing stupid argument. Stutzle also had a revolving door of wingers and is a year youner, and moved from wing to center for the first time, and was outstanding after the position switch.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
didn't we already had the jack hughes - tim stützle pissing match. you can all look up the thread and read your arguments and the counterarguments once again. do something new.

how about, who is better between chabot and severson? the immediate answer is chabot. chabot has the much better track record in the nhl and chabot was the captain of team canada at the last world championship. BUT ....

severson / sanheim was the first pairing and severson also played over captain chabot on the first pp. severson was used as team canada's 1d 😝

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
No, this is a f***ing stupid argument. Stutzle also had a revolving door of wingers and is a year youner, and moved from wing to center for the first time, and was outstanding after the position switch.

Good for him, I never disparaged Stutzle so I don't know what your whole attitude is about. If you think Stutzle is going to be a superstar then that's fine too, I just need to see it from him and do what Hughes did before I call him one.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yeah, I don’t see a Cale Makar-Luke Hughes sized gap between Jack Hughes and Tim Stutzle.

This season should be interesting.

Even then, the Sens don't make up the ground in the under-22 core. Ottawa has a bright future but NJ has the better players listed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad