Top 40 Canucks of All-Time Preliminary Discussion Thread - Lists Now Being Accepted

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The window to submit your top 60 Canucks list is now open. Please submit them via PM to myself.

The Deadline will be Sunday, January 18th at 6:00pm PST.

Please Read the rules before posting.

I am also looking for 1 or 2 participants willing to help me out. All you would need to do is if I receive a list that may need revision or explanation, I would just want a 2nd or 3rd pair of eyes to look it over to make sure there is no bias affecting my thoughts on it.

[*]Eligibility and Ranking Criteria
  • Players should be judged only on their accomplishments as a Vancouver Canuck.
  • Players currently active are eligible, but should be ranked based only on what they have already done
[*]Preliminary Discussion Thread
  • Anyone may participate in this thread, even if he/she does not plan on taking part in the voting phase
  • Any Canuck may be discussed
  • Posters are encouraged to share information about players in this thread and to take information shared into account when constructing their own lists
  • Brief comparisons between players are permitted, but detailed cases and debates should be saved for Round 2 of Voting
  • Please do NOT rank players outright in the preliminary thread
[*]Voting
  • Round 1
    • All participants submit a list of 60 players ranked in order
    • To make it easier to aggregate the submitted lists, please list players using their most commonly used name; e.g. Bobby Schmautz, not Robert Schmautz;
    • Lists may be submitted via PM to myself (or another co-admin if someone is willing)
    • We will be accepting lists until TBD Please PM myself if you can't make this timeframe and would like to participate
    • Players will be assigned a point value on the list based on ranking
    • Players will be awarded 80 points for a 1st place vote down to 1 point for a 80th place vote
    • An aggregate list of the top Canucks will be compiled ranking them in order of the most total points
    • Participants MUST submit a list in Round 1 to be eligible for Round 2
  • Round 2
    • The top 10-12 ranked players from the aggregate list will be posted in a thread
    • Players will be listed in alphabetical order to avoid creating bias
    • Player merits and rankings will be open for discussion and debate for a period of five (5) days. This may be extended the discussion period if it remains active
    • Final voting will occur for two (2) days, via PM
    • If there are major breaks in the Round 2 voting totals, we will add more or less than the targeted 4 players in certain rounds
    • The number of players available for discussion at once will depend on natural breaks in the aggregate list put together in Round 1
    • Tiebreak procedure: If two players are tied in voting points after a round, the higher ranking will go to the player who was ahead on a greater number of ballots. If they are still tied, it will remain a tie on the final list.
[*]Quality Assurance
  • Lists will be subject to an evaluation process
  • The submitter of a questionable list will be given an opportunity to defend or justify any selection under question or to correct errors and resubmit
  • The complete voting record of every participant will be released at the end of the project (up for discussion)
[*]Participants Code of Conduct
  • Participants must recognize that this is a collaborative project and that we all share the same goals, no matter how much we disagree on individual ranking
  • Participants should treat each other with respect and must not openly question the motivations of other participants

There is no rush to get this discussion completed. This thread will be open at least until the new year before we start accepting lists. The process of evaluating all lists will varying, depending on the number of lists submitted. There will be top rounds, with 4 players added to the list per round to get to our target of 40. Each vote discussion will last about a week, so at least 10 weeks for the voting.

If you are planning on participating in this project, make sure you are willing to be active in the discussion threads, and voting in each round. This project will likey take about 3 months.

Let the discussion begin! Shorty I will post some information that I have gathered over the last couple weeks for this project.

Last edited:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Canucks all-time top 3 in Points:

Player| 1st| 2nd| 3rd| Total
Markus Naslund|7| |2| 9
Henrik Sedin| 6| 3| | 9
Daniel Sedin| 3| 5| 1| 9
Thomas Gradin| 2| 3| 2| 7
Trevor Linden| 2| 4| | 6
Donald Lever| |2| 4| 6
Andre Boudrias| 4| 1| | 5
Pavel Bure| 4| | 1| 5
Stan Smyl| 2| 3| | 5
Geoff Courtnall| |2| 3| 5
Petri Skriko| 3| |1| 4
Tony Tanti| 2| 2| | 4
Alexander Mogilny| 2| | 2| 4
Cliff Ronning| |2| 2| 4
Todd Bertuzzi| |2| 2| 4
Ryan Kesler| | |4| 4
Patrik Sundstrom| 2| | 1| 3
Rick Blight| 1| 2| | 3
Dennis Ververgaert| 1| 1| 1| 3
Mark Messier| |2| 1| 3
Greg Adams| |1| 2| 3
Brendan Morrison| |1| 2| 3
Martin Gelinas| |2| | 2
Andrew Cassels| |2| | 2
Barry Pederson| |1| 1| 2
Bobby Schmautz| 1| | | 1
Orland Kurtenbach| 1| | | 1
Ron Sedlbauer| 1| | | 1
Mike Walton| 1| | | 1
Wayne Maki| |1| | 1
Dennis Kearns*| |2| |1
Chris Oddleifson| | | 1| 1
John Gould | | |1| 1
Ivan Boldirev| | | 1| 1
Darcy Rota | | |1| 1
Alexandre Burrows| | | 1| 1
Jocelyn Guevremont*| | |1|1
Kevin McCarthy*| | |1|1
Rosaire Paiement| | |1|1
Rich Lemieux| | | 1|1
*Defenceman

Leading Goals:

Player| Goals 1st
Markus Naslund| 6
Tony Tanti| 5
Pavel Bure |5
Daniel Sedin| 4
Bobby Schmautz| 2
Dennis Ververgaert| 2
Trevor Linden| 2
Ryan Kesler| 2
Andre Boudrias| 1
Donald Lever| 1
Ron Sedlbauer| 1
Rick Blight| 1
Mike Walton| 1
Thomas Gradin| 1
Stan Smyl| 1
Darcy Rota |1
Dave Williams| 1
Petri Skriko| 1
Greg Adams| 1
Martin Gelinas| 1
Alexander Mogilny| 1
Alexandre Burrows| 1
Rosaire Paiement| 1

Leading Assists:

Player| Assists 1st
Henrik Sedin| 8
Thomas Gradin| 5
Dennis Kearns*| 4
Markus Naslund| 3
Pavel Bure| 3
Andre Boudrias| 3
Alexander Mogilny| 2
Patrik Sundstrom| 2
Barry Pederson| 2
Cliff Ronning| 2
Andrew Cassels| 2
Trevor Linden| 1
Stan Smyl| 1
Chris Oddleifson| 1
Mark Messier| 1
Dale Tallon*| 1
Jocelyn Guevremont*| 1
*Defenceman

League Top 20 Points:

Player| Total| Top 20's
Henrik Sedin| 5| 1, 4, 9, 14, 20
Daniel Sedin| 3| 1, 12, 14
Markus Naslund| 3| 2, 2, 4
Pavel Bure| 3| 3, 5, 13
Todd Bertuzzi| 2| 3, 5
Andre Boudrias| 2| 20, 20
Alexander Mogilny| 1| 9
Ryan Kesler| 1| 15
Ivan Boldriev| 1| 17
Stan Smyl| 1| 20

League Top 20 Goals:

Player| Total| Top 20's
Markus Naslund| 4| 2, 5, 8, 15
Pavel Bure| 3| 1, 3, 5
Alexander Mogliny| 2| 3, 8
Todd Bertuzzi| 2| 3, 13
Daniel Sedin| 2| 4, 19
Tony Tanti| 2| 12, 12
Ryan Kesler| 1| 4
Ron Sedlbauer| 1| 10
Alexandre Burrows| 1| 10
Don Lever| 1| 13
Bobby Schmautz| 1| 15
Dennis Ververgaert| 1| 15
Martin Gelinas| 1| 17
Darcy Rota| 1| 19
Ivan Boldriev| 1| 20

Last edited:

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
There are a lot of rules.

I will just say Pavel Bure was the best Canuck ever, will be interesting to see the results as they pan out.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
There are a lot of rules.

I will just say Pavel Bure was the best Canuck ever, will be interesting to see the results as they pan out.

The number 1 spot should be a good debate between Daniel, Henrik, Pavel and Trevor. Good cases to be made for each.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Agree. I just hope that the results are not unduly prejudiced by recent memory.

To me it is kind of hard to explain to quantify properly. I mean we are dealing with different eras,so you can get into these long, silly stat based arguments trying your best to account for areas. Certainly as a goal scorer no one was remotely close in Canucks history. The X factor was the dominance. In my opinion, there was never a Canucks player before or since who put on the jersey who was such a dominant player by himself. Bure never had the luxury of having a brother who was almost as good as him and play his whole career on the same line like Henrik. Bure looked like he did it all himself sometimes and took the whole team with him. Even that being said, Bure stands out in my mind as the most dominant player in Canucks history compared to his peers in the league.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Agree. I just hope that the results are not unduly prejudiced by recent memory.

To me it is kind of hard to explain to quantify properly. I mean we are dealing with different eras,so you can get into these long, silly stat based arguments trying your best to account for areas. Certainly as a goal scorer no one was remotely close in Canucks history. The X factor was the dominance. In my opinion, there was never a Canucks player before or since who put on the jersey who was such a dominant player by himself. Bure never had the luxury of having a brother who was almost as good as him and play his whole career on the same line like Henrik. Bure looked like he did it all himself sometimes and took the whole team with him. Even that being said, Bure stands out in my mind as the most dominant player in Canucks history compared to his peers in the league.

I agree alot with what you are saying here and it would be very interesting to see how a guy like Mike "Shakey" Walton does as his per game impact was very good although his time was short, leading up the scales to a guy like Barry Pederson and ultimately Bure the highest per game impact Canuck ever.

In Contrast to career guys like the Sedins, Linden and even Stan Syml.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I agree alot with what you are saying here and it would be very interesting to see how a guy like Mike "Shakey" Walton does as his per game impact was very good although his time was short, leading up the scales to a guy like Barry Pederson and ultimately Bure the highest per game impact Canuck ever.

In Contrast to career guys like the Sedins, Linden and even Stan Syml.

Do Walton or Pederson really compete for a top 60 list? They never really came up for consideration for my initial list.

What are people's thoughts on Kearns. Lots of years, lots of points, but I've heard varying levels of his terribleness defensively. He's a tough one for me to rank. Snepsts as well, as again he played a long time, was a fan favourite, but was never as good as guys with half the career length like Hamhuis.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Do Walton or Pederson really compete for a top 60 list? They never really came up for consideration for my initial list.

What are people's thoughts on Kearns. Lots of years, lots of points, but I've heard varying levels of his terribleness defensively. He's a tough one for me to rank. Snepsts as well, as again he played a long time, was a fan favourite, but was never as good as guys with half the career length like Hamhuis.

Walton probably not but Pederson is 39th in Canucks all time scoring and had guys like Jim Sandlak to play with.

Kearns wasn't a favorite of my grade 6 and grade 7 teacher Mr Collins (who was a jerk) and would describe to our class after every Canucks home game how much Kearns sucked.

Kearns is 20th on the points list but is he even an alltime top 10 dman for the Canucks?

what about Jeff Brown?

we know he won't be on Kirk McLeans top 60 list eh?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
led the league in anything:

henrik: assists (3x), points (1x), playoff assists (1x)
daniel: points (1x)
bure: goals (1x), playoff goals (1x)
luongo: wins (1x), shared jennings trophy with schneider (1x)
mclean: wins (1x), shutout (1x)
schneider: shutouts (1x)
malik: plus/minus (1x)
odjick: PIM (1x)
williams: PIM (1x)

won anything (non-statistical):

henrik: hart, 1st team all-star (2x)
naslund: pearson, 1st team all-star (3x)
daniel: lindsay, 1st team all-star (1x), 2nd team all-star (1x)
kesler: selke
bure: 1st team all-star (1x), calder
bertuzzi: 1st team all-star (1x)
luongo: 2nd team all-star (1x)
mclean: 2nd team all-star (1x)
mogilny: 2nd team all-star (1x)
linden: clancy (1x)

am i forgetting anyone?

Last edited:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
led the league in anything:

henrik: assists (3x), points (1x), playoff assists (1x)
daniel: points (1x)
bure: goals (1x), playoff goals (1x)
luongo: wins (1x), shared jennings trophy with schneider (1x)
mclean: wins (1x)
malik: plus/minus (1x)

won anything (non-statistical):

henrik: hart, 1st team all-star (2x)
naslund: pearson, 1st team all-star (3x)
daniel: lindsay, 1st team all-star (1x), 2nd team all-star (1x)
kesler: selke
bure: 1st team all-star (1x), calder
bertuzzi: 1st team all-star (1x)
luongo: 2nd team all-star (1x)
mclean: 2nd team all-star (1x)
mogilny: 2nd team all-star (1x)

am i forgetting anyone?

Trevor Linden won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy in 96/97.

JA

Hi everyone. I'm excited to see that there is now an all-time Canucks project in the fold, and I'm confident that there will be some fantastic discussions throughout the next little while about the players that might be on this list.

As a frequent contributor to the Canucks section of HFBoards and a follower of the team, I would have loved to participate. Unfortunately, I've been far too busy at this time to really sit down and commit to such a project. I recognize a lot of the contributors in here and I know that the project is in the hands of some very well-informed Canucks fans.

I look forward to seeing the results of this project. Happy discussing!

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
So goalies are included? I assume so as there is no exclusion, just checking. Lou should make the list, otherwise I have a hard time to see anyone crack the top 40.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
So goalies are included? I assume so as there is no exclusion, just checking. Lou should make the list, otherwise I have a hard time to see anyone crack the top 40.

McLean and Brodeur both definitely should IMO. Probably not anyone else. Cloutier, Schneider and Hanlon might make a top 60

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
McLean and Brodeur both definitely should IMO. Probably not anyone else. Cloutier, Schneider and Hanlon might make a top 60

McLean, yes. But Brodeur? When only considering his Canucks performance? No, never top 40 in my book.

The Ring of honour page could be good to link here as a reference, (I had it earlier today but can't find it, google index hates the team it seems). Many of the defenders don't get enough recognition by the stats in the posts above.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
An interesting thing to me is how much to weigh longevity.

A guy like Paul Reinhart is among the very best defenseman to ever play for the Canucks - but he only played parts of two seasons here. He was excellent in those two years, but I don't know if you include a guy that only played 131 games.

Contrast that to a player like, say, Garth Butcher. Butcher played 10 seasons here, and was a warrior, but was never really a top-end player.

I haven't started compiling a list yet, so I don't know where I would slot these guys in, I bring them up more as an example for discussion sake.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
An interesting thing to me is how much to weigh longevity.

A guy like Paul Reinhart is among the very best defenseman to ever play for the Canucks - but he only played parts of two seasons here. He was excellent in those two years, but I don't know if you include a guy that only played 131 games.

Contrast that to a player like, say, Garth Butcher. Butcher played 10 seasons here, and was a warrior, but was never really a top-end player.

I haven't started compiling a list yet, so I don't know where I would slot these guys in, I bring them up more as an example for discussion sake.
Yeah that's a tough one (re: length of time spent as a Canuck). I'd lean towards quality rather than quantity - though I could see the other side of the argument.

McLean, yes. But Brodeur? When only considering his Canucks performance? No, never top 40 in my book.
Bear in mind McLean had a vastly superior team infront of him.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
we all have seen the sedins, luongo, kesler, burrows, hamhuis, etc. and while we don't all remember those guys the same way, our discussion of them i'm sure will be lively.

the vast majority of us (i think) saw naslund, ohlund, bertuzzi, morrison, and those guys. i don't think discussion will be lacking there either.

many of us saw linden, courtnall, ronning, bure, mclean, and those guys. i'm happy to talk about these guys, but i feel like all we do is reminisce about the pat quinn era.

but i'm really curious to hear firsthand accounts about 80s and especially 70s guys. i know a lot of us became fans during the pat quinn era, and specifically in the aftermath of the st. louis trade and the '91 stretch run and playoffs. i remember lidster, the tail end of smyl, butcher, snepsts, skriko, tanti, and reinhart, but only vaguely, and partially by reputation rather than actually watching them much.

steamer and gradin i've heard a lot about, and i think a lot of us have heard a lot about. but what about prime harry snepsts? how would he compare to, say, gerald diduck? was patrik sundstrom really any good, or just a guy who racked up points playing big minutes on a terrible team?

and the 70s guys predate my birth, and probably predate most of our births. i'd love for someone who's followed the team from the beginning to enlighten us about boudrias and kurtenbach and kearns and lever. who did fans like? who did fans dislike? whose contributions far exceeded their numbers? whose numbers are misleadingly high?

and should we even think about guys who seem to have just scored points because somebody on the team had to score points like blight, gould, sedlbauer, ververgaert?

anyway, i think that's the point of these prelim discussion threads right? to talk about the fringe or older guys that may not be on the tip of everyone's tongues?

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Bear in mind McLean had a vastly superior team infront of him.

Still, it is a small sample of seasons for him to get into the top 40. Did he accomplish that much in that small time frame?

we all have seen the sedins, luongo, kesler, burrows, hamhuis, etc. and while we don't all remember those guys the same way, our discussion of them i'm sure will be lively.

the vast majority of us (i think) saw naslund, ohlund, bertuzzi, morrison, and those guys. i don't think discussion will be lacking there either.

many of us saw linden, courtnall, ronning, bure, mclean, and those guys. i'm happy to talk about these guys, but i feel like all we do is reminisce about the pat quinn era.

but i'm really curious to hear firsthand accounts about 80s and especially 70s guys. i know a lot of us became fans during the pat quinn era, and specifically in the aftermath of the st. louis trade and the '91 stretch run and playoffs. i remember lidster, the tail end of smyl, butcher, snepsts, skriko, tanti, and reinhart, but only vaguely, and partially by reputation rather than actually watching them much.

steamer and gradin i've heard a lot about, and i think a lot of us have heard a lot about. but what about prime harry snepsts? how would he compare to, say, gerald diduck? was patrik sundstrom really any good, or just a guy who racked up points playing big minutes on a terrible team?

and the 70s guys predate my birth, and probably predate most of our births. i'd love for someone who's followed the team from the beginning to enlighten us about boudrias and kurtenbach and kearns and lever. who did fans like? who did fans dislike? whose contributions far exceeded their numbers? whose numbers are misleadingly high?

and should we even think about guys who seem to have just scored points because somebody on the team had to score points like blight, gould, sedlbauer, ververgaert?

anyway, i think that's the point of these prelim discussion threads right? to talk about the fringe or older guys that may not be on the tip of everyone's tongues?

That's true. I made a sketch of a list myself based on the point total and then rearranged the top 15, sprinkled some D men into the mix and took a look at the Circle of honour and made some adjustments. Then I cut the list at 40, not exactly rocket science. Some off the names on the list was virtually unknown to me so I was not satisfied.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Still, it is a small sample of seasons for him to get into the top 40. Did he accomplish that much in that small time frame?
Maybe he would've lasted longer if he had two guys named Bure or Mogilny (legit elite players vs just good players) in front of him at the time.:naughty:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

The Ring of honour page could be good to link here as a reference, (I had it earlier today but can't find it, google index hates the team it seems). Many of the defenders don't get enough recognition by the stats in the posts above.

He was a pretty major part of the team. He played 7 full seasons, playing over 50 games in 6, was the team MVP 3 times and won the Molson Cup for most three star selections 4 times. He was also a huge part of the '82 team's improbable run to the finals. Maybe in an absolute list of simply best players he might not make it, but in terms of importance to the franchise, absolutely.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Say what?

As someone already mentioned, Brodeur was named team MVP 3 times and was our best player on the run to the '82 Finals.

Not only will he be on the list, he'll be fairly high up on it.

Gary Smith or Dan Cloutier might sneak onto the end of the list as well. Smith will definitely be in my top-60 preliminary list.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Here's a full game from the 1982 Finals, which is a pretty terrific resource for people too young to remember this time period (sounds like you and I are a similar age):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_fpubPL10

First thing worth noting is how absolutely outstanding Snepsts is. Can see why he was the team's top defender for a half-decade and played in two All-Star games.

I think history has kind of left Snepsts as this comical character with a big moustache who was a loveable mediocre player on bad teams, and I don't think this was the case at all.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

2 Guys I've love to hear about are Snepsts and Kearns. Dennis Kearns played 10 years with the Canucks, and lead the team in assists 4 times. Snepsts played 16 years, wasn't much of an offensive contributor, but more of a rugged, tough defender right?

Would there be any argument to say they are the 2 best defenceman for the first 20 years in Canucks history?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad