Proposal: Top 4 defenceman to Utah

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Utah Whatevers need to add a Top 4 D, similar to what the club did last summer in moving a second rounder for Sean Durzi.

Ideal add is 27 or younger and is on a short-term deal who can fill a role until guys like Simashev and Lamoureux are ready. Open to either a LD or RD.

Expectation is Utah is willing to package picks in order to accomplish this, outside of the 1st round. Second-tier prospects like Soderstrom, Jenik, Raty are likely available as well.

So who is a good fit?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Sign Skjei. He'd be a good fit there

GM Bill Armstrong was pretty unequivocal in a recent radio hit that he has no interest in giving long-term deals to these types. Skjei is a great D, but he's 30 and going to be looking for term. That has mistaken written all over it.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Vancouver has some tough decisions to make regarding Zadorov/Hronek/Joshua, wouldn't be surprised if they keep Zads and make Hronek available

Reactions: Killer Orcas

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They might as well sign a guy like Skjei to a long term deal, maybe two guys.

"Short term until Simashev and Lamoreux are ready for top pair minutes" could be five years away.

Reactions: Dog and cslebn

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its still super weird to see Utah, sure takes time to get used to that.

---

do they need though? should they be too hasty and not let their actual top 4 develop more?

Durzi, 25 (6 foot 0 / 195 lbs)
Kesselring, 24 (6 foot 5 / 222 lbs)
Moser, 23 (6 foot 1 / 190 lbs)
Välimäki, 25 (6 foot 2 / 215 lbs)

avg age : 24.2

that 4 doesn't sound/look much for an average NHL fan, but i don't see anything wrong with that for them, for their inaugural season
3 x two-way d-men and 1 offensive mind d-man, 2 x RD, 2 X LD, looks good to me, all 4 skates really well and are good passers

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
They need to improve their 5 on 5 overall defending, that comes from forwards engaging to play d, also better coaching would help too
They should get #5 and #6 guys, if one would think improving their d. as much as i like Josh Brown, like his skating for a big guy, also, sometimes he makes pretty good plays in the o-zone as well, nothing that leads to goals, nor to points, but first pass stuff, they need someone better, also, they should not bring back Dermott..

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Low risk gambles
Liljegren
Brannstrom
Perunovich

More experienced
Ryan Lingren
McNabb or Hague from Vegas if they need cap space
I think they need guys tough to play against in their own zone which kind of eliminates the first group - at least as the "main" acquisition. I know they have a couple of big boys on the way in Lamoureux and Simashev but ETA on them is still very much TBD.

Your second group of Lindgren, McNabb, Hague - that seems more in the ballpark of what I'd be looking for if I'm Utah. Hague would be really intriguing - I think there's more meat on the bone there with his size/skillset - but he makes only $2.3 million next year and is still only 25 which doesn't make him an immediate candidate for cap slashing if I'm Vegas. I doubt Vegas trades McNabb, he's way too important and cheap still for next year, they can just let him walk after 2025. Whitecloud sems the more likely RHD to move although he's more of a pure 4/5 type than a top 4 upgrade.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Neal Pionk
28/29 yrs old
6ft, 186lbs
1 yr @ 5.875m
5 G, 28 A, for 33 pts in 82 GP this season

Offers?

Last edited:
Reactions: Huffer

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

---

do they need though? should they be too hasty and not let their actual top 4 develop more?

that 4 doesn't sound/look much for an average NHL fan, but i don't see anything wrong with that for them, for their inaugural season
3 x two-way d-men and 1 offensive mind d-man, 2 x RD, 2 X LD, looks good to me, all 4 skates really well and are good passers
But to improve in the standings they need that top four to be D numbers 3 to 6. They need 2 top 2 Dmen.

Reactions: Mosby

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
But to improve in the standings they need that top four to be D numbers 3 to 6. They need 2 top 2 Dmen.
You have a point. But, i think that 4 can improve and be that, that force that can improve their placement in the standings.
But i do understand what you are trying to say.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
GM Bill Armstrong was pretty unequivocal in a recent radio hit that he has no interest in giving long-term deals to these types. Skjei is a great D, but he's 30 and going to be looking for term. That has mistaken written all over it.
They also have more cap space than anyone and could afford to give him like $8 million a year on a 4 year deal and avoid that risk. They should just add Skjei and one of Pesce/Roy

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Fair. But if Utah offers Skjei 4x8m and some other team offers 7x6m, he's not going to Utah.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

---

I don't think either Kesselring or Valimaki have shown enough that they should be assumed as top 4 D or given those spots, and average age being 24 there they definitely need some veteran presence.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This is the group for next year, as it stands:

xxxx - Durzi
Moser - xxxx
Valimaki - Kesselring

We can get away with one of Durzi or Moser on the top pair, but not both.

Extras are Soderstrom, Kolyachonok, and Szuber.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Kesselring should be in the AHL. He’s a big, right shot defenseman who can skate, so people fall in love with him. But man is he horrendous. Turnover machine, and is constantly out of position.

Valimaki should just be let go. Not a fan of his either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad