Ryan Ellis 1
Kris Letang
Jake Guentzel
Jamie Benn

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Marner

By far the best/most proven offensive player left on here. You might argue Stamkos for that title - but I feel as though Marner is already slightly better and on the rise. I'd have them as next 2, with Point to follow

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Marner

By far the best/most proven offensive player left on here. You might argue Stamkos for that title - but I feel as though Marner is already slightly better and on the rise. I'd have them as next 2, with Point to follow
Point is better than both. Better defensively than both, and he plays center unlike the other two (stamkos is on the wing now)

Point, then marner, then stamkos is an easy order for me

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Point is better than both. Better defensively than both, and he plays center unlike the other two (stamkos is on the wing now)

Point, then marner, then stamkos is an easy order for me

Yeah - I've seen you and many other Tampa fans saying that repeatedly, Point over Stamkos

I acknowledge that I watch very few Tampa games so can't really back my opinion up on anything other than stats. But i'm much more an offense first guy vs defense - and I don't think Point has surpassed Stamkos offensively at all yet, which is why I still prefer Stamkos. Think they're all in the same tier though

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Yeah - I've seen you and many other Tampa fans saying that repeatedly, Point over Stamkos

I acknowledge that I watch very few Tampa games so can't really back my opinion up on anything other than stats. But i'm much more an offense first guy vs defense - and I don't think Point has surpassed Stamkos offensively at all yet, which is why I still prefer Stamkos. Think they're all in the same tier though
For the eye test, Brayden Point is one of the most impressive players in the league to watch. He's all over the ice - always in the right place, skates moving, hounding players, winning board battles, 50/50 pucks, making the right passes, etc. Doesn't hurt that he's a great goal scorer too.

Still, Stamkos' production speaks for itself. He may not be as "impressive" to watch, but his consistent place near the top of the league is hard to argue against. He can still pot one in the blink of an eye, and his playmaking has come a LONG way. His lethality is second to none, and he doesn't really need to "take over" a game to make an impact. I wouldn't fault anyone for erring either way on these 2.

Reactions: bobholly39

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
How is Marner winning over Point when they are the same age and have similar offensive production, but Point is a 2-way center

Point scored 66 points 2 years ago, paced for 95 points over 82 games last season (a season in which his winger scored more points than anyone in the NHL for the past 20 years, which likely helped), and is pacing for 80 points over 82 games this season.

Marner scored 69 points 2 years ago (comparable), scored 94 points last season (comparable, probably no one as good as Kucherov helping him along though), and repeated his performance by pacing for 93 points this year over 82 games.

I wouldn't say they're similar offensive production. Edge to Marner by repeating this year. If Point can solidify himself as similar offensive production - I'd agree with you, i just don't think he's there yet.

Another point in Marner's favor for me is - before either of them broke out last year, I expected Marner to reach 90+. So me thinking he'll continue at that level seems more a sure thing, especially since he maintained pace. Point took me by surprise, i didn't expect him to score so much - and he didn't repeat this season - so i'm less prone to say that's his level moving forward.

Reactions: Smif

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How is Marner winning over Point when they are the same age and have similar offensive production, but Point is a 2-way center
More Leaf fans on here than TBay fans would be my explanation. I think both are close but Points better two way game and his more important position tip this to him imo. That said they are both very good players who should be picked around here.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Point PPG: 0.98
Marner PPG: 1.14

Marner is great defensively, and at PKing too. Point has the upper hand, and have being a C rather a W, but its not absurd to go with Marner here.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Marner

Marner is a more proven offensive player than Stamkos. Wild.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Point PPG: 0.98
Marner PPG: 1.14

Marner is great defensively, and at PKing too. Point has the upper hand, and have being a C rather a W, but its not absurd to do with Marner here.
I don't dislike Marner at all I just think Point and maybe Couturier are better today. Depends on how much you value defensive play

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Marner will be a fixture in the top of the scoring race year in year out , and only has scratched the surface as a player

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How is Marner winning over Point when they are the same age and have similar offensive production
Because they're not the same age, and they don't have similar offensive production, despite Point being in better situations to produce. Marner should already be on the list, a while ago.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
More Leaf fans on here than TBay fans would be my explanation.
If that was true and using your logic why didn't we see Matthews, Marner, and Tavares get voted 1st, 2nd, and 3rd?

Don't you think that the Leafs have more fans on here excuse has been said enough when one of their players defeats another player in a poll?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad