Top 3 defenseman for the 2004 NHL draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
I can only comment on the top 3 from out west and without a doubt I would have to say Mike Green, Cam Barker and Mark Fistric are the top 3 without a doubt.

The player I would like to comment on is Saskatoon Blades defenseman Mike Green. He has participated in the Canadian Under 17, the Canadian Under 18 and was invited to the World Junior evaluation camp this past summer in Calgary. He is a 6'1 200 pound defenseman who skates unbelievably well and hits hard too. Last year Mike Green put up 6-36-42 playing nearly half the season as a 16 year old. This season Mike already has 5 assists in 4 games and has had plenty of chances to score as he is pinching in more often this year with the maturity leval rising.

Mike Green is a late 85 birthday thus putting him a draft year later than Phaneuf, Coburn, Seabrooke and Belle but there is no denying this kid has ample talent and will be a star someday. Cam Barker is talked about all of the time but Green should really get more attention as he is the real deal and won't hurt you defensively where as Barker may.

Green by season's end will be a top 20 NHL draft pick!

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
Tell me why you feel that Fistric, Card and Barker are all better players than Mike Green. I'm just curious seeing as how Green has made the U17, U18 and invited to the World Junior Camp where as all of the other 3 have not been invited thus far>

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I've watched Mike Green for 3 years. Not sure if I'd say he's the #1 d-man available. Not bad skater, decent with the puck. Does lead his team in scoring. However, these other players are very, very good hockey players. Barker is a lock to be the top defenseman picked, while Card and Fistric could both go in the first round, as well it is possible that defensemen from other leagues and countries could get picked such as Johan Fransson and Oscar Hedman from Sweden, Mikko Kuukka from Finland, Kirill Lyamin and Anton Belov from Russia, and what about Nicolai Goc from Germany (Marcel and Sasha's younger brother). Well see what happens, it is still early in the season and a lot can change espcially in how the scouts see the prospects.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
My question still hasn't been answered!!! I'm wondering why Mike Green isn't mentioned in the same breathe as players like Cam Barker, Mark Fistric and Mike Card or even Shawn Belle, Brayden Coburn and Dion Phaneuf for that matter. He has moved up the Canadian teams through his career, yet doesn't get the respect he deserves!

I am wondering why he is so under rated as a player?

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
I just feel that certain players get blown way out of perportion at times. Cam Barker is a good player but put up his points due to the fact he had Ben Thomson, Chris St.Jacques and Joffrey Lupul scoring so many points and he happened to be the guy playing the point getting so many points. However he was like a -30 and that would suggest to me that he has a long ways to go.. Mike Card came out of no where to become a 1st round draft pick?? WHY you ask? Because he played on the Kelowna Rockets a Mem Cup team! He was playing along side players like Thomas Slovak, Duncan Keith and Josh Gorges and had a great team which boosted his stats. Mark Fistric is a good stay at home d-man but didn't get any recognition either!!!

Mike Green has to be considered better than Cam Barker but won't be because of pure politics!!

TheGreek

Feb 28, 2002
New York
Visit site
While Green is very solid and should be a solid NHLer it seems that his upside is quite limited. He is what he is a stay at home defenseman. Has playing on a bad Blades team hurt his stock? Sure... but I think people feel that being almost a year older than all other 2004 Draft Prospects he should be further along then the likes of Barker, Card, Fistric, etc.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
The fact is that he IS a year better than Barker, Card and Fistric and as good as Belle, Seabrooke and Coburn!! He is a hard hitter that skates very good and is FAR FROM BEING A STAY AT HOME D-MAN!!!

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
When most of the scouting agencies come out with their first rankings I think you'll see Green rated in the mid-late 1st round, behind Barker (higher upside, slightly younger, bigger, home-run possibilities), about even with Fistric (Fistric has size, meanness and age advantage= upside, although Green is smoother and better two-ways right now), and ahead of Card, who is overrated on these boards (IMO).

Green is forgotten about by Joe Fan here because he is a late 85 B-day and thus the focus for 85 DFmen was on last years' strong WHL 85 DF contingent. He'll get his due as the year goes on I think.

Roomer

steblick said:
When most of the scouting agencies come out with their first rankings I think you'll see Green rated in the mid-late 1st round, behind Barker (higher upside, slightly younger, bigger, home-run possibilities), about even with Fistric (Fistric has size, meanness and age advantage= upside, although Green is smoother and better two-ways right now), and ahead of Card, who is overrated on these boards (IMO).

Green is forgotten about by Joe Fan here because he is a late 85 B-day and thus the focus for 85 DFmen was on last years' strong WHL 85 DF contingent. He'll get his due as the year goes on I think.

First of all, Mike Green is better than Barker, fistric, Card etc.

Mike has been outstanding for the Blades, and is the most defensively responsible defensemen of the bunch.

Barker as I stated before, is over-rated. Defensivley, he stinks. As far as upside goes, have a good look at him, he is very manly already. I think you'll find his stock drop somewhat with some of his off-ice habits.

Fistric is big and strong, but lacks Green's skating and puck poise.

Card I would rate behind Greene, but similar.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
WHL Follower said:
The player I would like to comment on is Saskatoon Blades defenseman Mike Green. He has participated in the Canadian Under 17, the Canadian Under 18 and was invited to the World Junior evaluation camp this past summer in Calgary. He is a 6'1 200 pound defenseman who skates unbelievably well and hits hard too.

He sounds a lot like myself...... only he can skate unbelievably well and hits hard too... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad