Top 25 Players in the NHL right now: #8 (added Ovi)

Vote for the best player

• Patrick Kane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Pastrnak

• Mitch Marner

• Sebastian Aho

• Nazem Kadri

• Brayden Point

• Mark Scheifele

• Mark Stone

• Max Pacioretty

• Patrice Bergeron

• Johnny Gaudreau

• Aaron Ekblad

• Charlie McAvoy

• John Tavares

• Ryan O'Reilly

• Anze Kopitar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Is that stat a problem? It eliminates a lot of confounding variables. It’s a shame more people don’t use it.

Most /60 "advanced stats" are terribly misunderstood and mis used.

Actual production out weighs any /60 metric by far.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Last 3 seasons:

Draisaitl 162 games, 100 goals, 248 points. Pace of 126 points per 82 games
MacKinnon 143 games, 64 goals, 198 points. Pace of 114 points per 82 games
Kucherov 77 games, 38 goals, 100 points. Pace of 106 points per 82 games

Two years ago - Draisaitl outscored Mack by 17 points and Kucherov by 25 points. He also outscored them by 8 and 10 goals respectively.
Last year - Draisaitl outscored MacKinnon by 19 points and 11 goals. Kucherov didn't play.
This year - Draisaitl it outscored Mack by 14 points and 17 goals. Kucherov only 9 games so far.

So he's been better then both of them by quite a bit the past 3 years combined - including each year on its own - in both goals and overall offense. I know Kuch has been great in playoffs and Mack does well too - but not enough to make up this significant gap in regular season.
Just trying to understand here - why isn't the significant postseason gap enough to make up for a "significant regular season gap"? What's the goal again? Is it to win Art Ross trophies or to win the Stanley Cup?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Because he is lol. I don't get how Draisaitl still doesn't get the same recognition as McDavid by now. Do people actually turn an Oilers game on? The guy, along with 97 carries the entire team's offense nightly. Colorado has 65 guys they can rely on to score and Kucherov is not better than Draisaitl. Come on.
He carries the offense because he treats the defensive zone like a high stakes game of the "floor is lava" and just doesn't enter it.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
From my experience /60 stats tend to change heavily season to season in comparison to PPG.
For example Mackinnon is very consistent point producer in last few season around 1.2-1.3 PPG every season
At the same time his 5v5 /60 production was between 2.07 to 3.00 per season . So that is almost 50% diff in /60 comparing to max 10% in PPG
So it seems very volatile stat. Probably need at least few seasons of data to make any conclusions based on it.
It seems consistent to me.
NATHAN MACKINNON Player Profile Page | leftwinglock.com

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Just trying to understand here - why isn't the significant postseason gap enough to make up for a "significant regular season gap"? What's the goal again? Is it to win Art Ross trophies or to win the Stanley Cup?

I value regular season more then playoffs. I think I give playoffs a ton of value - but not more, when ranking players. I'd say probably 60/40 or 70/30 regular season importance, which I think is generous.

I assume you're asking about Kucherov. For me - it's impossible to ignore the giant regular season advantage Drai has in past 3 years, no matter how good Kucherov was in the playoffs (and he was probably my #1 choice for Smythe both years). 2018-2019 season is now 4 years ago. It'll take Kucherov coming back and playing enough in the regular season to bridge the gap on Drai imo. Maybe if he plays all season and he does well enough to show he's at a similar or superior level to Drai in the regular season, it'll be enough. So far it's 9 regular season games in past 2 years - after being significant behind Drai the season prior.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Most /60 "advanced stats" are terribly misunderstood and mis used.

Actual production out weighs any /60 metric by far.
I don’t understand what there is to “misunderstand” about P/60 stats. It eliminates the following confounding variables.
  • TOI, players who get more time on ice tend to get more points, no one accounts for this.
  • PPTOI, some players get more powerplay time on on ice than others and have the opportunity to produce more points. Should we completely ignore PPP? No. Are PPP as valuable as regular points? No, it is easier to score on the power play (and rack up secondary assists). This is why we should look into penalty differential, IMO the people who draw the penalties deserve about half the credit, and players who are disciplined deserve credit as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00