Top 25 OHL Prospects for 2018

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
As has become regular practice now, following the conclusion of my NHL team write ups ('31 Teams in 31 Days'), I give you a list of the top prospects who played in the OHL during the previous season. In this case, it was the 2017/18 season. The list is capped at 25, with some honorable mentions.

OHL Prospects: Top 25 OHL Prospects - Summer of 2018

For full write ups (and more), please hit up the link above.

Here's the list:
1. Andrei Svechnikov
2. Gabe Vilardi
3. Robert Thomas
4. Jordan Kyrou
5. Evan Bouchard
6. Nick Suzuki
7. Morgan Frost
8. Barrett Hayton
9. Logan Brown
10. Owen Tippett
11. Ty Dellandrea
12. Conor Timmins
13. Nic Hague
14. Boris Katchouk
15. Michael McLeod
16. Rasmus Sandin
17. Ryan Merkley
18. Jason Robertson
19. Alex Formenton
20. Michael Dipietro
21. Logan Stanley
22. Max Jones
23. Jack Studnicka
24. Issac Ratcliffe
25. Taylor Raddysh

You can find all the HM's over on my site (link above).

Happy to answer any questions/reply to comments.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I like that top 3. Personally, I like Frost, Sandin and Formenton to be higher...Formenton is probably around the Owen Tippett level for me, maybe even above him. I think Formenton is a monster...

Of course, Keane makes my top-10...but we all know I'm on the "Keane for President" campaign payroll...

Reactions: Rebels57 and Lays

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Great list Brock, in line with my own observations. I think Ty is going to rise a bit this year, and would have Katchuok much lower, but other than that it's basically bang on.

edit: I would also have Frost lower, and Hayton higher.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I see you struggled to get Sokolov into your top 25. I don't think it should have been that hard to do. The guy scored more in goals than some players on your list scored points.

I realize he has blemishes but what more can you ask a guy to do than put up over 100 goals in two years?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
As has become regular practice now, following the conclusion of my NHL team write ups ('31 Teams in 31 Days'), I give you a list of the top prospects who played in the OHL during the previous season. In this case, it was the 2017/18 season. The list is capped at 25, with some honorable mentions.

Here's the list:
1. Andrei Svechnikov
2. Gabe Vilardi
3. Robert Thomas
4. Jordan Kyrou
5. Evan Bouchard
6. Nick Suzuki
7. Morgan Frost
8. Barrett Hayton
9. Logan Brown
10. Owen Tippett
11. Ty Dellandrea
12. Conor Timmins
13. Nic Hague
14. Boris Katchouk
15. Michael McLeod
16. Rasmus Sandin
17. Ryan Merkley
18. Jason Robertson
19. Alex Formenton
20. Michael Dipietro
21. Logan Stanley
22. Max Jones
23. Jack Studnicka
24. Issac Ratcliffe
25. Taylor Raddysh

Max Jones and Logan Stanley over Studnicka, Ratcliffe, and Raddysh?

Reactions: Rebels57

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I see you struggled to get Sokolov into your top 25. I don't think it should have been that hard to do. The guy scored more in goals than some players on your list scored points.

I realize he has blemishes but what more can you ask a guy to do than put up over 100 goals in two years?
Yeah there’s no way Sokolov should be on this list

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Regarding So

Regarding Sokolov, it really is those blemishes preventing him from being on this list. It was a toss up between Raddysh and Sokolov for number 25, but I just feel a bit more comfortable that Raddysh's play away from the puck will give him more of a chance to be an NHL player.

Sokolov's skating, conditioning, play in traffic, and play away from the puck have come a long way over his OHL career. But they still have to grow further if he wants to be an NHL player. He's going to have way less time to operate at the pro level and he's not going to be able to plough through defenders the way he does in the OHL. The shot and release will play, but as I said in my Minnesota write up, I think he's going to be the type who really needs strong linemates to create those scoring lanes and chances for him.

It's not about who has scored the most goals at the junior level, it's about projection. Guys like Jeremy Morin, Reid Boucher, and Bryan Cameron were prime time goal scorers in the OHL in the last decade. But all three had difficulty transitioning to the NHL because their skating strides and playing style were similar to Sokolov's. At least IMO.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Max Jones and Logan Stanley over Studnicka, Ratcliffe, and Raddysh?

The NHL is changing (for the better), but you still need to appreciate guys who possess both raw physical attributes (size, athleticism, physicality), blended with skill.

Stanley gets a bad wrap because he was drafted higher than he should have been (at least IMO). But he's still a solid prospect. His mobility, physicality, and reach will be a major asset in the defensive end. And he isn't a liability with the puck either, even though I don't see his offensive skill set translating exceptionally well.

Where as Jones, I am not impressed with the way his game developed over his time in the OHL. I made that perfectly clear in that write up and my Anaheim one. But, this is a guy who can still be a very useful NHL player and could end up being a better pro than junior player because of his skill set. The hands, skating, and physical gifts are all there. The Hockey sense isn't great, but if he's asked to play a simplified role, improves his play East/West and clears space, he could still be a consistent 20 goal scorer. Tom Wilson has carved out a great career as an integral part of a Stanley Cup winner and Jones is the more skilled player (at least IMO).

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Hague too low imo

Obviously I'm going to say this because I made the list...but I think Hague is ranked appropriately. In fact, I would harbor a guess that some of my contemporaries might have him even lower.

It's not a slam dunk that his offensive skill set translates to the NHL level. He'll need to increase the pace at which he plays at. As a powerplay QB, he'll be fine because of that big shot and because of his IQ level in the o-zone. But 5 on 5, I think there are some concerns as to whether he'll be effective as someone who can generate offensive scoring chances off the rush.

Combine that with the fact that he's going to have to refine his game to improve defensively, it's no slam dunk.

Solid prospect and still one of the better ones in the OHL (otherwise he wouldn't crack this list). Just feel like those ahead of him possess similar (or greater upside) combined with a greater likelihood of reaching it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Here's the list:
1. Andrei Svechnikov
2. Gabe Vilardi
3. Robert Thomas
4. Jordan Kyrou
5. Evan Bouchard
6. Nick Suzuki
7. Morgan Frost
8. Barrett Hayton
9. Logan Brown
10. Owen Tippett
11. Ty Dellandrea
12. Conor Timmins
13. Nic Hague
14. Boris Katchouk
15. Michael McLeod
16. Rasmus Sandin
17. Ryan Merkley
18. Jason Robertson
19. Alex Formenton
20. Michael Dipietro
21. Logan Stanley
22. Max Jones
23. Jack Studnicka
24. Issac Ratcliffe
25. Taylor Raddysh

Solid list. IMO, Frost should be ahead of Suzukin, Bouchard is too high, and Stanley doesnt belong on the list... but its splitting hairs. Well done.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Where would you rank Kirill Maksimov and Ben Jones?

KM is a HM so obviously in your top 43 but I'm curious to still.

Tough to say. Kirill is a favourite of mine. He'd probably be in that 30-33 range.

Jones was someone I considered listing as an HM. Consider him a final cut (along with the likes of Matt Strome, Sean Day, etc). He'd come in right around the 45 mark likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad