Top 2016 draft picks headed to G.R.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Excited to see Givani in a different environment than with Guelph. Have no idea how to gauge his game this year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Smith is whatever, Hronek is the one I'm watching.
While both are intriguing in their own way, it will be very telling to see how well Hronek handles the jump to the AHL. If the kid has another smooth transition, he might end up being a superb yield for a 2nd rounder.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
While both are intriguing in their own way, it will be very telling to see how well Hronek handles the jump to the AHL. If the kid has another smooth transition, he might end up being a superb yield for a 2nd rounder.

Anyone who can play in the NHL as a solid regular is a great find in the 2nd round. Chances of doing that are only about as good as a coin flip.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He didn't take a leap forward offensively like one would've hoped.

Needs to get faster.

I am far more interested in improvements to his skating than I am statistical production in juniors. No matter how much he produces in juniors, he will never make the NHL without serious improvements to his skating. I still like him though as a prospect.

I don't expect him to play much in GR

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Smith needs to work for on his acceleration and to quit taking stupid penalties. He's exactly the kind of player the Wings are lacking

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
When will Hronek get is first game in?

This weekend Griffins schedule: Griffins home vs Rockford on Friday, travel to Rockford on Saturday, and back to Milwaukee on Sunday. Hope the 2 will play tomorrow night. Will see.

Hronek will wear #13

Smith will wear #43

Last edited:

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Hmm, this doesn't mean that Smith is turning pro right? Can still go back to junior next season right

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Hmm, this doesn't mean that Smith is turning pro right? Can still go back to junior next season right
He can't play in the AHL full-time until after 2017-18. And he probably won't be in the NHL next year so no he's not turning pro.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
In full agreement on Hronek. If they can keep Ouellet along with Russo, & Jensen they defense would be in better shape. Still need a top line pairing. But, this would go along way.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
He can't play in the AHL full-time until after 2017-18. And he probably won't be in the NHL next year so no he's not turning pro.

Hoping Guelph trades him out in the offseason...would love him in Flint

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Excited to see Hronek in the AHL. I hope he has a better transition from the CHL to the AHL than XO and Sproul.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Hoping Guelph trades him out in the offseason...would love him in Flint

I doubt it, but I could see it at the OHL trade deadline. Guelph has been bad since they went all in for the memorial cup, but I think they will be coming back around to winning soon. I think trading Smith makes sense at the deadline for younger pieces that'll play in Merkleys draft +1 season. But at the same time chances are they'll want him around to play with and protect a 16 year old #2 draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad