Novak
Roger
Romeo
Tychonick

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We still have a decent top-20 despite the graduations and the 2021 + 2022 meh drafts

Outside of Greig and Sogaard, no real high end talent though

Jarventie, Pettersson and Donovan seem to be the next 3 with the highest upside but after that? Mostly potential bottom-6 forwards and bottom-4 (#4-7) D-men

Last edited:
Reactions: Good in Osgoode

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I think the prospects we have picked as "reaches" reflect the scouting staff's opinions as to which prospects might turn out to be better players than the rating agencies' forecasts.

If the Senators draft a player in the later rounds who turns out to be a star (e.g., Stone), then I wonder if the scouts were that smart because if they projected him as a potatntial star should they not have drafted him much sooner as a "reach"? Or were they just "lucky"?
Lucky. Any 3rd round or later pick that makes it as a regular NHLer much less a star is some degree of luck. Especially CHL players which have the crap scouted out of them.

As for reaches, there can be a couple of reasons. A big one is view bias, where a player gets viewed a lot more due to the team already having a player on a team they are really tracking (i.e. our fascination with ND, although it has served us well). Another is teams trying to build an identity (See Boucher), which I disagree with, draft the most talented players and let that build your team identity. This hurt Edmonton for years as outside of the top of the first round they drafted for identity not talent. Reaches also happen when a team is trying to fill a hole in their team with a high first rounder. I have no issue if a team outside the top 15 drafts for organizational depth issues, but reaching because you are short RHD for example tends to backfire. Also falling in love with "character" players. While I think character is important, its junior level hockey. Drafting character over talent is a road to the lottery. 99% of NHL players, even role playing character players, were elite point producers in junior and often in the NCAA. And lets not foget some some people just want to draft different than consensus to prove they are smart .....

Truth is, rating agencies have always been the best barometer. They are independant and enough different eyes that biases come out of the equation. Some teams can look like drafting geniuses by getting two lucky picks outside of the top 10, but there is just not enough data to rate them vs an agency which rates 300+ players, as opposed to teams that are just rated on the 7 they pick.

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
I think the prospects we have picked as "reaches" reflect the scouting staff's opinions as to which prospects might turn out to be better players than the rating agencies' forecasts.

If the Senators draft a player in the later rounds who turns out to be a star (e.g., Stone), then I wonder if the scouts were that smart because if they projected him as a potatntial star should they not have drafted him much sooner as a "reach"? Or were they just "lucky"?
I don't think Stone was ever drafted and projected to be a star. He was drafted on potential and exceeded that. Sometimes some players for some odd reason just tend to become different and better players the harder the competition gets.

If later picks more often then not end up being good NHL players then obviously the team scouts can't be just lucky. As they say "you gotta be lucky to be good and good to be lucky".

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think Stone was ever drafted and projected to be a star. He was drafted on potential and exceeded that. Sometimes some players for some odd reason just tend to become different and better players the harder the competition gets.

If later picks more often then not end up being good NHL players then obviously the team scouts can't be just lucky. As they say "you gotta be lucky to be good and good to be lucky".
Mark Stone had over 100 pts his draft yr & followed that up with 123 pt season. He wasn't selected higher because of his skating which was clearly a mistake by all teams.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Honestly it’s a pretty terrible overall group of prospects. Don’t see a lot of top 6 F or top 4 D potential

Might be the worst it’s been since the Muckler days .

(Yes we’ve had a lot of recent graduates)

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
Mark Stone had over 100 pts his draft yr & followed that up with 123 pt season. He wasn't selected higher because of his skating which was clearly a mistake by all teams.
as stated above during his draft year he wasn't spectacular or putting up eye popping point totals... he was also playing on a team that had players one drafted 5th overall and the other 8th overall

Last edited:

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
For this list, I have effectively graduated Sanderson, Pinto and Kastelic and Parker Kelly has reached the 65-game mark earlier this season. So, those 4 are out. Here is the list:

1. Greig
2. JBD
3. Boucher
4. Ostapchuk
5. Sogaard
6. Thomson
7. Kleven
8. Crookshank
9. Jarventie
10. Sokolov
11. Hamara
12. Lodin
13. Petterson
14. Guenette
15. Donovan
16. Nordberg
17. Merilainen
18. Daoust
19. Johansson
20. Latimer
With Dorion having traded away pretty much all of our picks in '23; we had better get used to the prospects on this list. There is going to be change in where they rank but there is not going to be whole lot of change in the names on this list for the next 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad