Top 20 Sens Prospects: Mid-Season Edition

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
For this list, I have effectively graduated Sanderson, Pinto and Kastelic and Parker Kelly has reached the 65-game mark earlier this season. So, those 4 are out. Here is the list:

1. Greig
2. JBD
3. Boucher
4. Ostapchuk
5. Sogaard
6. Thomson
7. Kleven
8. Crookshank
9. Jarventie
10. Sokolov
11. Hamara
12. Lodin
13. Petterson
14. Guenette
15. Donovan
16. Nordberg
17. Merilainen
18. Daoust
19. Johansson
20. Latimer

Reactions: Yak and DrEasy

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Any list without Jacob Leo Lucchini in the 1 hole is a false list, and a false list is no list at all.

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
It seems to me that we've got a a pretty mediocre prospect pool. Our amateur scouting is vastly over rated.
Picking the right players with highs picks as a rebuillding team is more essential then hoping some late first round player might become a regular in the NHL. Sure the odd time there is a hidden gem in the later rounds but there is plenty of average NHL players always available either through minor trades or fa.

I'll take a one Timmy over 10 of those guys anytime. Our prospect pool will regress as our better prospects graduate; its all part of the cycle. I would assume its much harder these days for scouts to find those gems in lower rounds/ picks with all the social medias around and the ease & speed with which info is shared these days

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
For sure will have full NHL careers
Greig
Boucher
Ostapchuk
JBD

After that the guy I’m most sure on:
Donovan

After that I think it’s pretty hit and miss on these prospects NHL careers

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It seems to me that we've got a a pretty mediocre prospect pool. Our amateur scouting is vastly over rated.
Not really. We've got young players driving the success we're having.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
It isn’t overrated at all. Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson, Chabot, Pinto, Sanderson, JBD, Kelly, Kastelic, and you can partially include Norris.

Those are all absolute hits based on where they were selected in the draft.

Sure Tkachuk and Stutzle were the “obvious” picks, but you still have to make them, Vs overthinking it and taking a flyer on someone else.

The amateur scouting is very good at finding future NHLers, however they tend to favour character over skill. So we are heavy on players that will their way into the NHL Vs having the high-end skill.

Taking Boucher in 2021 and trading away our 1st RD pick in 2022 just means we are missing some high end talent at the top.

Reactions: Sens9292

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
The only recent draft pick that could be described as a successful reach would be Shane Pinto and it wasn't really a big reach. Boucher, Thomson and Jarventie are reaches that look like very poor selections. Obvious picks are obvious.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Looks kinda bleak tbh.

My top 5 are:

1. Greig
2. Ostapchuk
3. Donovan
4. Boucher
5. Crookshank
HM. Guenette.

JBD and Thomson quickly reaching waiver wire prospects for me.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
1. Grieg
2. Ostapchuk

3. Jarventie
4. Boucher
5. JBD

Very, very weak group of prospects, but that's to be expected with us graduating so many. Jarventie may be the only potential top 6er in the system.

Lot's of meat and potato guys that will play in the league.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
With no goalie prospects or shut down D top 4 D it’ll be tough for Ottawa to complete the rebuild. They want to be big and mean but it’s hard to do that without a big mean Defence and a goalie that can stop pucks

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We basically have the top 6 filled in already with mostly young guys, we only really need to replace Giroux in a couple of yrs. It's the bottom six that needs replenishing & that is happening through attrition as the older vets age out. We have 3 potential good NHL players in Ostapchuk - Greig - Boucher whenever those three become NHL ready who will help fill in the bottom six. Formenton is another young guy who could return next yr & along with Pinto & Joseph could form a decent 3rd line.

Then there is Sokolov, Jarventie, Kleven, JBD & Thomson & whether they ever make it or not. They also really need a stud goalie to emerge at some point soon. And then they have a 1st & 2nd rd pick this yr & the first could be anywhere from 8th to 15th OA in a deep draft. This is a young team & I expect that our prospect list will grow over the next few yrs given our team is so young & it will be difficult to replace them.

Reactions: Cosmix

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
For sure will have full NHL careers
Greig
Boucher
Ostapchuk
JBD

After that the guy I’m most sure on:
Donovan

After that I think it’s pretty hit and miss on these prospects NHL careers
Donovan is certainly a very intriguing prospect.
I think you will see him rise up the list and will be in the top 10, maybe even top 5 by this time next year.
With any luck, we are talking about his performance for Team Canada at the 23/24 WJC.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Happy graduation to Shane Pinto on hitting his 65th NHL game!

An honorable mention to this list of prospects goes out to Stephen Halliday.
20-year-old 4th round pick in 2022.
Currently playing in his first year at Ohio State University.
6'3 213lbs as per Hockey DB. Listed as a Centre.
30 points in 28 games is impressive for a first-year player (even at 20).

Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Happy graduation to Shane Pinto on hitting his 65th NHL game!

An honorable mention to this list of prospects goes out to Stephen Halliday.
20-year-old 4th round pick in 2022.
Currently playing in his first year at Ohio State University.
6'3 213lbs as per Hockey DB. Listed as a Centre.
30 points in 28 games is impressive for a first-year player (even at 20).

Has a Sokolov feel to him

Reactions: aragorn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Halliday's production is about where it should be given he's in his 20YR old development season.

As a comparison at the same age Sokolov was putting up 25 points in 35 games for Belleville.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
For this list, I have effectively graduated Sanderson, Pinto and Kastelic and Parker Kelly has reached the 65-game mark earlier this season. So, those 4 are out. Here is the list:

1. Greig
2. JBD
3. Boucher
4. Ostapchuk
5. Sogaard
6. Thomson
7. Kleven
8. Crookshank
9. Jarventie
10. Sokolov
11. Hamara
12. Lodin
13. Petterson
14. Guenette
15. Donovan
16. Nordberg
17. Merilainen
18. Daoust
19. Johansson
20. Latimer
Boucher is hardly a top 10 in my view.

We basically have the top 6 filled in already with mostly young guys, we only really need to replace Giroux in a couple of yrs. It's the bottom six that needs replenishing & that is happening through attrition as the older vets age out. We have 3 potential good NHL players in Ostapchuk - Greig - Boucher whenever those three become NHL ready who will help fill in the bottom six. Formenton is another young guy who could return next yr & along with Pinto & Joseph could form a decent 3rd line.

Then there is Sokolov, Jarventie, Kleven, JBD & Thomson & whether they ever make it or not. They also really need a stud goalie to emerge at some point soon. And then they have a 1st & 2nd rd pick this yr & the first could be anywhere from 8th to 15th OA in a deep draft. This is a young team & I expect that our prospect list will grow over the next few yrs given our team is so young & it will be difficult to replace them.
Agree with everything except Boucher.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Greig - looks ready .. 2nd/3rd line NHL left winger.. needs to add size
JBD - looks ready or at least very close... NHL 4- 6 steady D
Ostapchuk - future NHL 3rd line crash and bang with some offense sprinkled in
Kleven - NHL future 4-6 physical D
Thomson - jury still out - can he handle the physicality of the NHL?
Donovan - promising ... putting up points in junior
Boucher - Like Ostapchuk but with less offense
Guenette - dark horse prospect.. I am always impressed when seeing him live ... jury is out.
Jarventie - has some talent but is there enough intensity? I have my doubts.
Sogaard - Was a rising prospect.. a below average season is casting doubt
Crookshank - nice AHL player.. I have doubt that he can produce in the NHL
Sokolov - like Crookshank, he can produce in the AHL.. the NHL might just be too fast for him

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Halliday's production is about where it should be given he's in his 20YR old development season.

As a comparison at the same age Sokolov was putting up 25 points in 35 games for Belleville.
Except that the AHL is a pro league where the NCAA is more comparable to junior hockey.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Why compare him to a guy in a different league,

His production is similar to Pinto's 20 year old season, no? Not saying they are equivalent prospects (Pinto was a stud defensive player too), but that seems like a more apt comparable then Sokolov, no?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I remember seeing Halliday at the development camp & being completely disappointed in his non-performance, he actually reminded me of Logan Brown with his complete lack of energy & enthousiasm with much less skill. I'm very surprised he is doing so well, it will be interesting to see how he does in the next development camp, for now, I have zero expectations for him.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why compare him to a guy in a different league,

His production is similar to Pinto's 20 year old season, no? Not saying they are equivalent prospects (Pinto was a stud defensive player too), but that seems like a more apt comparable then Sokolov, no?

I compare him to Sokolov since both were drafted after their 19YR old season, are 6'3, 210+, and have skill but have skating issues.

I actually view Pinto's 20YR old season with an asterisk since he started playing competitively so late. I don't think he's your average late-birthday that had as much development as other players in his birth year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Picking the right players with highs picks as a rebuillding team is more essential then hoping some late first round player might become a regular in the NHL. Sure the odd time there is a hidden gem in the later rounds but there is plenty of average NHL players always available either through minor trades or fa.

I'll take a one Timmy over 10 of those guys anytime. Our prospect pool will regress as our better prospects graduate; its all part of the cycle. I would assume its much harder these days for scouts to find those gems in lower rounds/ picks with all the social medias around and the ease & speed with which info is shared these days
I think the prospects we have picked as "reaches" reflect the scouting staff's opinions as to which prospects might turn out to be better players than the rating agencies' forecasts.

If the Senators draft a player in the later rounds who turns out to be a star (e.g., Stone), then I wonder if the scouts were that smart because if they projected him as a potatntial star should they not have drafted him much sooner as a "reach"? Or were they just "lucky"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad