Top 20 San Jose Sharks prospects embody hunger for success

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
timo_meier_switzerland_123114.jpg
Photo: San Jose Sharks prospect Timo Meier, the team’s first top ten draft pick since 2007, is part of a European talent influx into the organization (courtesy of Dennis Pajot/Getty Images)

</p> Over the course of two off-seasons, the San Jose Sharks have vastly improved their prospect ranks. The once small and meager prospect pool has quietly evolved into a massive, shark-infested ocean.

While still lacking in true blue chip talent, this is without a doubt the strongest crop of players the Sharks have had in their system in the last ten seasons. But that comes as no surprise with the decline of the NHL roster and its recent playoff failings.… read more

The post Top 20 San Jose Sharks prospects embody hunger for success appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Good read. There's a couple players in our system that I'm still holding out hope for, mainly Brodzinski and O'Reagan.

Now time for "Everyone's a critic":

While still lacking in true blue chip talent, this is without a doubt the strongest crop of players the Sharks have had in their system in the last ten seasons.

It is now officially Timo time in San Jose. Timo Meier has the heart of a lion and the body of a bear. You won’t find a harder working blue-chip prospect in the entire NHL.

;)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I feel that the Sharks may be putting 1-2 "vets" on waivers by the end of camp as the kids will be good enough to upsurp their NHL roster spot.

And regardless of personal feelings, the players do not have to relocated a continent away to continue playing, or they find a new NHL home (and the Sharks have more $$ they don't have to spend).

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I feel that the Sharks may be putting 1-2 "vets" on waivers by the end of camp as the kids will be good enough to upsurp their NHL roster spot.

And regardless of personal feelings, the players do not have to relocated a continent away to continue playing, or they find a new NHL home (and the Sharks have more $$ they don't have to spend).

Which players. Not trade worthy?

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Which players. Not trade worthy?

Mike Brown is the only one that immediately comes to mind.

Players like Goodrow I would expect to start in the AHL but they are waiver exempt anyway so I don't see that mattering. It will be interesting to see if someone like Donskoi impresses during camp and forces the teams hand to trade or waive someone, Goldobin has a good shot and there are a few others. I'd like to see an invite or two in addition.

Last edited:

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Interesting, sort of a lackluster write up on Roy; he and Goldobin have some polarizing write ups and opinion on potential.
It's nice to see a couple boom bust guys in addition to the safe guys at the top of the list.

I do think it's maybe the best top 5/6 prospects the team has had since at least the 05 lockout.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Interesting, sort of a lackluster write up on Roy; he and Goldobin have some polarizing write ups and opinion on potential.
It's nice to see a couple boom bust guys in addition to the safe guys at the top of the list.

I do think it's maybe the best top 5/6 prospects the team has had since at least the 05 lockout.

Just from face value, it might be the best pool the Sharks have had period.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Just from face value, it might be the best pool the Sharks have had period.

Only if you started following hockey in 2010.

How about when they had Goc, Boyles, Michalek, Morris, Cheechoo, Samuelsson, Bernier, Carle, Hennessey, Patzold, Pavelski, Davison, Jillson, Clowe, Ehrhoff, Gorges, Kiprusoff, Plihal, Toskala, Dimitrakos, Murray, Zalesak, Fahey, Kotyk, Carkner....Lynn-freaking-Lyons.

Jul 10, 2010
Not a fan of O'Reagen as high as he is. Very unlikely to be an impact NHLer, a lot less likely than Sadowy and Chartier

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The write up is nice, but I still don't like the rankings. Every prospect "might" make their potential or fall of the map? No player has the potential for the first line or top 2 D?

We have nowhere to go but up by those rankings.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Hey, I gotta get my shots in while they're still relevant. :laugh:

While I would say that your overall record has been a little conservative, your doses of pessimism are necessary to counter the widespread overrating of prospects.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
Personally a huge fan of Sadowy, met him a few times and have caught a lot of his games. Great player and great kid, not elite talent by any means of course but gonna be a great player. Seems to only improve.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
While I would say that your overall record has been a little conservative, your doses of pessimism are necessary to counter the widespread overrating of prospects.

My overall record is I've missed on just one in 20 years of AHL hockey here...I never thought Desi would make the NHL. I just didn't think his heart and drive, which might be the best I've ever seen from a player from here, was enough to make up for average talent. I was wrong, and now he has his name on the Cup.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Two things...

Ummm, what? :laugh:

If DeMelo is playing for your NHL team you're in trouble because everyone else is injured.

I've only seen him a few times but not impressed with him either. Not sure why the organization seems to think so highly of him. I don't see him as a future NHLer, at least not on a good/winning team.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I've only seen him a few times but not impressed with him either. Not sure why the organization seems to think so highly of him. I don't see him as a future NHLer, at least not on a good/winning team.

Looking at how much improved DeMelo was from 13-14 to 14-15 if he can make that same leap again in 15-16 he's got a shot. That's a big "IF" though. His big issues are turnovers and mind cramps. He gets those things worked out and he could make a run at a 6-7 NHL spot. I was more making fun of the write up for him...it was about as wrong as wrong can be in most instances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad