Top 20 Oilers Prospects (Poll #8)

8th Best Oilers Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'll be making a series of polls to determine the Oilers consensus top-20 prospects on HFOil.

1. RD Evan Bouchard - 95%
2. LD Philip Broberg - 65%
3. LD Dimitri Samorukov - 49%
4. LW Tyler Benson - 65%
5. LD Caleb Jones - 50%
6. RW Kailer Yamamoto - 53%
7. RW Raphael Lavoie - 46%

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Time and time again, our prospects fizzled out when they hit the AHL. Marody had a great year. Surprised he doesn't get more votes.
It's between him and McLeod for me, and McLeod looks like he has more upside. Plus, they're probably not far apart in terms of NHL readiness. Marody needed to work on his speed, McLeod needs seasoning and experience.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Voted Marody last time, voting him again. I agree with @Senor Catface, Marody's AHL success means a lot to me. He showed decent at the NHL too.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Marody has as much of a shot to make the team this year as Benson. I really don't see the difference between them being like 4-5 other prospects. He's right there with Benson. Some would argue Benson needed Marody this year more than Marody needed Benson to produce. Looking forward to seeing both in camp.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Marody has as much of a shot to make the team this year as Benson. I really don't see the difference between them being like 4-5 other prospects. He's right there with Benson. Some would argue Benson needed Marody this year more than Marody needed Benson to produce. Looking forward to seeing both in camp.

Be nice for them to make the team together too. They work very well as a pairing, we should try and see if they can maintain the chemistry at the NHL level. Best case scenario they slot on either side of RNH and kill it.

Reactions: Messrules11

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Voted Marody last time, voting him again. I agree with @Senor Catface, Marody's AHL success means a lot to me. He showed decent at the NHL too.
Showed what? That he is on par with guys like Gamberdella\Cave and a step below Caggiula\Rattie ? His limitations are the same as many career AHLers. Too small, too slow.
McLeod has top 6 upside and can secure a middle 6 role as early as this season.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
surprised Rodrigue is so low, was the last goalie cut for the world junior team and has been great since, hope he continues to grow its been forever since we had a legit G in the system pan out.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Marody by a mile at this point. I like McLeod, but Marody was over PPG last year as an AHL rookie. People seem to be writing that off as if it’s nothing. His value has gone way up since we got him a year ago

Reactions: MikeFLB and Aerrol

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Showed what? That he is on par with guys like Gamberdella\Cave and a step below Caggiula\Rattie ? His limitations are the same as many career AHLers. Too small, too slow.

Career AHL? lol, he's played one season. Since you compare him to Gamberdella (who I like) and Cave, actually compare them.

Rookie years

Marody 64 points in 58 games
Cave 29 points in 75 games
Gamberdella 19 points in 50 games

Which one stands out to you?

Clearly there's a difference in talent here.

Even look at pace. If Marody played as many games as the top two guys in the league, he would have led the AHL in points. As a rookie.

Maybe give him more than one (great) season in the AHL before comparing him to inferior talents and claiming he's on par with an AHL lifer.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

He showed offensive instincts and the skills to actually make plays happen at the NHL level. He wasn't up for very long and for good reason - he was getting limited minutes on a non playoff team vs carrying the AHL team into a playoff run.

He looked better than Rattie and worse than Caggiula in his short stint but he showed better hands than either IMO. What has McLeod shown so far? That he's fast and can play in the OHL? Great. Let's see how he does in the pros before making claims that he's next level above a guy already dominating a pro league. And McLeod didn't exactly blow the roof off this year either in the O.

Reactions: Messrules11

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
If Ethan Bear is our 10th best prospect (judging by how the votes are going), then this is the deepest prospect pool we've had in years

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
surprised Rodrigue is so low, was the last goalie cut for the world junior team and has been great since, hope he continues to grow its been forever since we had a legit G in the system pan out.

I’m as high on him as anyone, but he’s somewhere from 9-12 right now. He’s competing with McLeod, Maksimov, and Bear for my vote once Marody goes

Career AHL? lol, he's played one season. Since you compare him to Gamberdella (who I like) and Cave, actually compare them.

Rookie years

Marody 64 points in 58 games
Cave 29 points in 75 games
Gamberdella 19 points in 50 games

Which one stands out to you?

Clearly there's a difference in talent here.

Even look at pace. If Marody played as many games as the top two guys in the league, he would have led the AHL in points. As a rookie.

Maybe give him more than one (great) season in the AHL before comparing him to inferior talents and claiming he's on par with an AHL lifer.

Exactly. His production last year was damn impressive no matter how one tries to spin it.

I feel like I missed a memo where you have to be 6’6 or able to outskate McDavid in order to play in the NHL. He’s listed at 6’0, which is probably a little generous, but it’s not like he’s 5’6. Why are we talking about his size like it’s impossible for him to be good?

Reactions: Aerrol

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Too early to say where he sits given that he is only 22. However, I agree skating his the main concern that drops him down my list below McLeod. Size is not an issue with Marody, and his puck protection game is actually pretty decent.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not big on rating goalies in the top 10 unless they're pretty close to a sure thing. I think between Konovalov, Rodrigue, Skinner and Wells we have a pretty good goalie pool. I'm not that high on Starrett, but he could potentially end up an NHL backup. Skinner and Wells had encouraging years for 20 year olds transitioning to pro, as that jump is often a shock and takes some adapting for goalies. Look for them to put up better stats next year. Rodrigue is I guy I like because he moves so well. Konovalov I don't know much about, but his stats and the limited footage I've seen of him look encouraging.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Goalie prospects are worthless.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He showed offensive instincts and the skills to actually make plays happen at the NHL level. He wasn't up for very long and for good reason - he was getting limited minutes on a non playoff team vs carrying the AHL team into a playoff run.

He looked better than Rattie and worse than Caggiula in his short stint but he showed better hands than either IMO. What has McLeod shown so far? That he's fast and can play in the OHL? Great. Let's see how he does in the pros before making claims that he's next level above a guy already dominating a pro league. And McLeod didn't exactly blow the roof off this year either in the O.
McLeod showed that he can hold his own when he got thrown into round 2 of AHL playoffs. Unlike Bouchard he wasn't sheltered and unlike Marody he actually produced in his short stint.
Marody's footspeed will always be an issue just like many before him who dominated the AHL.

McLeod will find it easier IMO.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Time and time again, our prospects fizzled out when they hit the AHL. Marody had a great year. Surprised he doesn't get more votes.
Bear has struggled of sorts but far from fizzling out. Same goes for Yama. There is also Bear and Lagesson along with the goalies who are still on the table. It is really not a Shame to be still left in this poll. Our pool has quality for a change.

Reactions: Senor Catface

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

McLeod had an amazing camp last season, he looked better in training camp than any of the prospects listed here, and had a great AHL playoff run when he was sent there. It was smart management to send him back down even though he looked close to making the team, but the kid is going to be a stud sooner than later. Marody is a great prospect and all, and might even be closer to NHL ready, but to write off McLeod as having done nothing is ridiculous, inaccurate, and makes the rest of your post less credible.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
McLeod had an amazing camp last season, he looked better in training camp than any of the prospects listed here, and had a great AHL playoff run when he was sent there. It was smart management to send him back down even though he looked close to making the team, but the kid is going to be a stud sooner than later. Marody is a great prospect and all, and might even be closer to NHL ready, but to write off McLeod as having done nothing is ridiculous, inaccurate, and makes the rest of your post less credible.

Honestly, I was unaware of McLeod's AHL performance so I will concede that it looks pretty impressive in an admittedly small sample size. I still take Marody given the full year track record and McLeod's OHL performance, but it is a good piece of evidence in his favour. (I don't take pre-season very seriously anymore given how many amazing pre-season showings we've had the last few years turn into total dog-crap)

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
People seem to be forgetting that guys like Marody can light it up in the AHL but never be effective at the NHL level (see Arcobello).

McLeod seems the most likely to be an impact NHLer. But Lagesson and Bear are close behind imo. I don't think Marody should be anywhere near the top-10 prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad