Top 20 Oilers Prospects (Poll #5)

5th Best Oilers Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Picked Lavoie because I love his potential and skills package. I know he's not as NHL ready as some of these other guys, but I honestly believe he could produce like an early career Bobby Ryan if he can become a more consistently engaged player. To me, he is the highest upside player on this list, and has a floor that could still see him as a useful bottom 6 guy with some skill.

Yamamoto is next on my list. I think he gets criminally underrated and I think he's still ranked as a 1st round quality prospect (Lavoie is a 1st round talent as well in my mind). Once he figures out how to deal with the rigours of the pro-game his skating and IQ to go along with some nice playmaking, hands, and shooting will shine through and find him as a complementary top 6 player.

Jones I've let slip to 7 despite being really high on him. I think he's NHL ready and should make the team next year. Needs to continue to get a bit stronger and work on some of his defensive zone reads, but his skating and puck moving combo are awesome. He has middle pairing D written all over him when he reaches his prime if he can shore up a few of his weaknesses.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I loved what I saw of Ryan McLeod last year. I think he's got the highest ceiling of any player on this list, so I picked him.
He's lower on my list for honestly the exact opposite reason as what you said. I think his ceiling at the NHL level is a 2nd line, but likely better suited for 3rd line centre. His skating and hands are both imo elite, and he is a good playmaker, but I think his overall package just isn't there to make him a high point producer in the NHL. I will say this though, I do think he will be NHL ready quick, and I do think he has a very high floor as his game just screams "pro-style player".

I think he'll be our much bigger Todd Marchant.

Reactions: Faelko

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Picked Lavoie because I love his potential and skills package. I know he's not as NHL ready as some of these other guys, but I honestly believe he could produce like an early career Bobby Ryan if he can become a more consistently engaged player. To me, he is the highest upside player on this list, and has a floor that could still see him as a useful bottom 6 guy with some skill.

Yamamoto is next on my list. I think he gets criminally underrated and I think he's still ranked as a 1st round quality prospect (Lavoie is a 1st round talent as well in my mind). Once he figures out how to deal with the rigours of the pro-game his skating and IQ to go along with some nice playmaking, hands, and shooting will shine through and find him as a complementary top 6 player.

Jones I've let slip to 7 despite being really high on him. I think he's NHL ready and should make the team next year. Needs to continue to get a bit stronger and work on some of his defensive zone reads, but his skating and puck moving combo are awesome. He has middle pairing D written all over him when he reaches his prime if he can shore up a few of his weaknesses.
Those three are very close for me. There is a very strong argument for all of them as the 5th best prospect. McLeod is my clear 8th best prospect after that.

Reactions: McFlyingV

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Those three are very close for me. There is a very strong argument for all of them as the 5th best prospect. McLeod is my clear 8th best prospect after that.
Mine as well. I actually had my 4, 5, 6 as Lavoie, Yamamoto, Benson in that order followed by Jones and McLeod. Even with Benson as 6 on my list I have probably been one of his biggest supporters on HF Oil over the past three years. I think if he can gain a bit more acceleration and top speed on his skating he could easily leapfrog some on my list, but I put Lavoie and Yamamoto higher on my lists because I don't have any worries about their skating. With that said I'm not overly worried about Benson's skating, as I feel he is strong on his feet, has good edges and lateral mobility, and makes up for his lack of explosiveness with his positioning due to his high hockey IQ. I have always thought his playmaking and hockey IQ were elite, but I think he needs to gain that extra step to be a more effective player when attacking off the rush, and to become a better neutral and defensive zone player. Also love that every now and then he will just blow someone up with a huge check. He's the kind of guy I want in the playoffs.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Marody was over a PPG in the AHL in his first pro season, and had a pretty solid 200 ft game during his time up. Went with him by a hair over Jones and Yamamoto.

He’s easily our most underrated prospect imo. He’s only one year older than Benson, and had a 1.10 PPG vs Benson’s 0.97 and Yamamoto’s 0.66

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Yamamoto getting less love than he should simply because he was rushed into the NHL.

He hasn’t looked very good at the pro level yet. That, along with his size, puts him pretty low on my list. A bounce back season in the AHL, where he can stay healthy, could change my mind.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He hasn’t looked very good at the pro level yet. That, along with his size, puts him pretty low on my list. A bounce back season in the AHL, where he can stay healthy, could change my mind.

He was pretty decent in the AHL for a rookie pro until he hurt his wrist.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McLeod almost made the team last year. He may steal the 3C spot this year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Marody was over a PPG in the AHL in his first pro season, and had a pretty solid 200 ft game during his time up. Went with him by a hair over Jones and Yamamoto.

He’s easily our most underrated prospect imo. He’s only one year older than Benson, and had a 1.10 PPG vs Benson’s 0.97 and Yamamoto’s 0.66
He's in my top 10, but closer to 9. There's no question his playmaking and vision are NHL level, and he looked strong on pucks even in his short time in the NHL. The main question is if that skating will ever be strong enough for the NHL. It needs work without question, but he thinks the game more than well enough. If the skating doesn't get there I wonder if he's converted to the wing where you can mask that deficiency a little bit more.

I'm actually excited to see how he looks in camp. I think he could fight for a 3rd line spot to start the season.

McLeod almost made the team last year. He may steal the 3C spot this year.

Very polished player who should transition to pro hockey seamlessly. His lack of big numbers in the OHL don't concern me, but he's lower on my list simply because I don't see a guy with high offensive potential. I see a middle 6er who gives you speed, size, and 2-way play. Very smart player.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Some never heard of Lavoie?

Was a stellar pick that dropped.

McLeod was a virtually identical situation.

Went with Yamamoto - tough season with injuries - but still produced at a 25 goal pace when healthy. Could easily see it being any of Jones/Lavoie/Yams, even Bear or Lagesson.

I do think McLeod has the highest floor of any of our remaining forward prospects. A Cogliano type, but actually plays C.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

The AHL is pro. He scored at a really good pace for a rookie in the AHL.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Based on what?

His numbers in the AHL are pretty normal. Right there with guys like Logan Brown, Taylor Raddysh, Max Jones etc..

Reactions: McFlyingV

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
My list:

1. Bouchard
2. Samorukov
3. Benson
4. Jones
5. McLeod

Hope I'm wrong and Broberg really does turn out that good. I do think he has potential to be our best prospect.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Wow, Jones grabbing this one. This is a bit of a surprise to me. Well cheers, hope he can step up this season and grab a roster spot on the big club.

4 of the top 5 are Dmen. FML is this for real?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lagesson will have a better nhl career than jones.
I don't see it, but it would be a pleasant surprise. I see Lagesson as a bottom pair guy we inevitably trade or let go as others push up, and I see Jones as a 3/4. Jones' puck moving and skating just give him the edge over Lagesson imo.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
My list:

1. Bouchard
2. Samorukov
3. Benson
4. Jones
5. McLeod

Hope I'm wrong and Broberg really does turn out that good. I do think he has potential to be our best prospect.
Mine is similar for this year already. Broberg and Lavoie may crack it next year once we actually know more about them then where they were picked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad