5. LD Caleb Jones - 50%
6. RW Kailer Yamamoto - 53%
7. RW Raphael Lavoie - 46%
8. C Ryan McLeod - 40%
9. C Cooper Marody - 42%
10. RD Ethan Bear - 45%
11. LD William Lagesson - 44%
12. RW Kirill Maksimov - 43%

Let me know who I should add for the next poll.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Gambardella is a little underrated at this point as well.

With the Oilers bottom 6... being well... the bottom bottom 6 in the NHL :)... I could definitely see Gambardella getting some time on the NHL roster this season.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Persson has is due, might just be little underrated here

How many people have actually watched him play? I know I haven’t, have you?

It’s just that stat watching, which most of us do, know that success in the SHL is hit or miss in the NHL. His ceiling is probably closer to a 6, PP2 option from what I’ve read. Where as most would say those above him probably have a lower floor but a higher ceiling if the stars aligned.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
It's actually refreshing to have a list of prospects that looks as promising as these lads. We just need a few of them to pan out for once though.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think Oil fans here are being pretty realistic with Persson... they know he's a 25 year old with zero NHL experience... which means he's a shot in the dark, but he's also a free asset that takes up just a spot on the 50 contract list. A 1 year deal where the entire cap amount is buried in the AHL if he shows nothing at the NHL level.

As a dman prospect he's close to perfect because at 25 years old... you know he's basically reaching his prime after years of development... so you should know pretty quickly if he has what it takes to contribute at the NHL level.

Not saying he'll step in and be an instant positive... but he's not a green 18 year old dman prospect where you have to wait 2 or 3 years just to start thinking about giving them a cup of coffee at the NHL level.

I'd probably rate him a little higher than 13th because he's basically ready NOW to step up and see if he can contribute... whereas some ranked ahead of him may not be at that level for several years (if ever).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gambardella is a little underrated at this point as well.

With the Oilers bottom 6... being well... the bottom bottom 6 in the NHL :)... I could definitely see Gambardella getting some time on the NHL roster this season.
This is where things get a bit interesting. Do you take the guy who will probably be in the NHL this year, but has lower potential. Or do you take a guy with higher potential, but lower chance of making it?

Reactions: Aerrol

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
This is where things get a bit interesting. Do you take the guy who will probably be in the NHL this year, but has lower potential. Or do you take a guy with higher potential, but lower chance of making it?

Ya that's the debate and where things aren't always black and white.

Gambardella is ppg in the AHL... (and he should be at this stage of his career at 25 if he's ever going to amount to anything at all at the NHL level.)

Obviously there MAY be higher upsides for guys like Benson/Yamamoto/McLeod etc... but that will take some time to play out and they may never get there either (although in those 3 cases I think all 3 have strong chances to contribute at the NHL level).

Everyone will point to Gambardella only getting 3 assists in 15 NHL games... which isn't a lot but he also was decent defensively and didn't hurt the team. Playing only 8 minutes per game... those stats aren't terrible... especially considering he had pretty tough zone starts and relatively low quality teammates in those games as well.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
While I have been voting Persson for a while now, I think he's a really interesting type of prospect. He's even more boom or bust given his unique development curve as a late bloomer with a crazy steep development curve in the SHL. IMO he either makes it this year or next as an NHL player or he's done. Arguably even just one year - though I could imagine a world where he's teetering on making the team this year, goes down and dominates the AHL, and then comes back as a proper top-4 offensive dman.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This is getting kinda nuts. Goalie should have been picked a while ago. Our goalies aren't THAT bad.

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
This is getting kinda nuts. Goalie should have been picked a while ago. Our goalies aren't THAT bad.
I voted Rodrigues for mine. We have a few decent goaltending prospects, just goalies are a crapshoot. Everyone was raving on here about Ellis the one year and he was retired by the next year. Who’s the last goalie that the oilers even developed in house and had success with them? Dubnyk player a couple decent seasons, but wasn’t a solid goalie till he left.

To me Skinner and Rodrigues have legit shots at being NHL goalies in some form

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Shane Starrett was on the AHL All-Rookie team. If it wasn't for his playoffs, I would have him a few spots higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad