Top 20 goaltending prospects - Results

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Hello everyone!

Over the past 20 some days, I've conducted a set of daily polls to roughly determine who hfboards thought were the top 20 goaltending prospects in the NHL.

The requirements to be included were the goalie had to be under 25 years of age at the starting date of the first poll, and the goalie must have fewer than a total of 20 NHL games of experience.

So for example Carter Hart and Alexandar Georgiyev are not eligible because they played over 30 games last season.
And Elvis Merzlikens is not eligible because he's 25 years old

In conclusion, these are the results:

#1: Igor Shestyorkin (NYR) [26.3%]
#2: Ilya Samsonov (WSH) [31.6%]
#3: Ilya Sorokin (NYI) [43.5%]
#4: Spencer Knight (FLA) [40.7%]
#5: Thatcher Demko (VAN) [41.6%]
#6: Ukka-Pekka Luukkonen (BUF) [43.8%]
#7: Cayden Primeau (MTL) [29.9%]
#8: Jake Oettinger (DAL) [19.7%]
#9: Alex Nedeljkovic (CAR) [15.2%]
#10: Michael DiPietro (VAN) [22.9%]
#11: Filip Gustavsson (OTT) [18.5%]
#12: Joseph Woll (TOR) [20.8%]
#13: Ian Scott (TOR) [16.2%]
#14: Pyotr Kochetkov (CAR) [15.9%]
#15: Mads Sogaard (OTT) [12.5%]
#16: Kaapo Kahkonen (MIN) [55.6%]*
#17: Filip Larsson (DET) [33.3%]*
#18: Lukas Dostal (ANA) [11.1%]*
#19: Ville Husso (STL) [12.1%]
#20: Cal Petersen (LAK) [20.0%]

* = tiebreaker result

Also by calculating the amounts of votes all the other nominees had along the way, and taking into consideration the weight of each vote (which round they were cast), we can make a very rough estimation of the rest of the rankings:

#21: Veini Vehvilainen (CBJ)
#22: Samuel Ersson (PHI)
#23: Mikhail Berdin (WPG)
#24: Stuart Skinner (EDM)
#25: Jakub Skarek (NYI)
#26: Connor Ingram (NSH)
#27: Linus Soderstrom (NYI)
#28: Shane Starett (EDM)
#29: Colton Point (DAL)
#30: Samuel Montembeault (FLA)
#31: Zachary Emond (SJS)
#32: Olivier Rodrigue (EDM)
#33: Ilya Konovalov (EDM)
#34: Tyler Parsons (CGY)
#35: Dustin Wolf (CGY)
#36: Felix Sandstrom (PHI)
#37: Ivan Prosvetov (ARZ)
#38: Daniil Tarasov (CBJ)
#39: Kevin Lankinen (CHI)
#40: Adam Werner (COL)
#41: Marcus Hogberg (OTT)
#42: Alexis Gravel (CHI)
#43: Hugo Alnefelt (TBL)
#44: Kyle Keyser (BOS)
#45: Olle Eriksson Ek (ANA)
#46: Adin Hill (ARZ)
#47: Tomas Vomacka (NSH)
#48: Erik Portillo (BUF)
#49: Colten Ellis (STL)
#50: Olof Lindbom (NYR)
#51-58: Vitek Vanecek (WSH), Michael McNiven (MTL), Evan Fitzpatrick (STL), Ivan Nalimov (CHI), Hunter Jones (MIN), Josef Korenar (SJS), Eric Comrie (WPG), Joey Daccord (OTT)

I hope this was interesting to you all. If you feel the results should have been different, or something I could have done to make this poll better, let me know.​

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
It'd be interesting to look back at this in 5 years or so to see how many of these guys even make it. Plus goalie prospects are so hard to predict so watch #43 end up as the best out of all of them.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Is V Husso still on the up trend?

Also whos Ian Scott? Im super behind this year....

husso was a lot higher up last year

had a badddd season.
In regards to Husso, a combo of bad all around play (him and the team) and injuries made last year rough. They've signed a bunch of decent good AHL players (plus some good prospects) and Binnington is now up for good so Husso should be the full time starter next year. We’re all expecting/hoping for a big bounce back year.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
In regards to Husso, a combo of bad all around play (him and the team) and injuries made last year rough. They've signed a bunch of decent good AHL players (plus some good prospects) and Binnington is now up for good so Husso should be the full time starter next year. We’re all expecting/hoping for a big bounce back year.
I think Husso will have a good season. Every year before the last one he’s been exceptional. So I have no reason to doubt he’ll return to that form again

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Being a huge part in Finland winning the WC should get Lankinen waaaaaaay higher on this list
Everyone pretends their prospect is great so voting at fan sites is pretty meaningless.
1st i've ever seen of this survey is right now so I'm not sure how wide reaching it is. I live in Florida but knew the name Lankinen because he stoned veteran NHL and international stars in worlds this year. Seeing his name so low told me all I needed to know about the quality of the survey.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Interesting exercise but we all know there is going to be a hell of alot more accuracy in a top 20 forward and Dman prospect polls.

Predicting future success for NHL goalies is the least successful of the 3 by far.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Interesting exercise but we all know there is going to be a hell of alot more accuracy in a top 20 forward and Dman prospect polls.

Predicting future success for NHL goalies is the least successful of the 3 by far.
For sure. But I mainly just started this poll because we see everyone with the "top 50 lists no goalies included", so I wanted to expand horizons a bit and let people know some lesser known goalie prospects out there and maybe keep an eye on

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
For sure. But I mainly just started this poll because we see everyone with the "top 50 lists no goalies included", so I wanted to expand horizons a bit and let people know some lesser known goalie prospects out there and maybe keep an eye on

Np, I wasn't trying to be a negative Nellie it's just frustrating trying to figure out goalies as there is something to be said about players who want to stand in front of disks flying at them at 100 mph especially in past days with less equipment protection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad