5. G Anthony Stolarz(48.15%)
6. C Nick Cousins(77.22%)

Last edited:

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Easiest vote of the poll: Cousins.

I'd say add Heeter or Johnston. (I've been assuming with my suggestions that neither Raffl or Holmstrom will be added due to age)

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Cousins. After this one, it's going to be all over the place. An argument could be made for a lot of different guys.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Re-posting CHL numbers from the last thread:

Age 16
Nick Cousins -- 67 GP, 32 P
Tye McGinn -- N/A

Age 17
Nick Cousins -- 68 GP, 68 P
Tye McGinn -- 59 GP, 11 P

Age 18
Nick Cousins -- 65 GP, 88 P
Tye McGinn -- 48 GP, 30 P

Age 19
Nick Cousins -- 64 GP, 103 P
Tye McGinn -- 50 GP, 62 P

Age 20
Nick Cousins -- N/A
Tye McGinn -- 42 GP, 64 P

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Re-posting CHL numbers from the last thread:

Age 16
Nick Cousins -- 67 GP, 32 P
Tye McGinn -- N/A

Age 17
Nick Cousins -- 68 GP, 68 P
Tye McGinn -- 59 GP, 11 P

Age 18
Nick Cousins -- 65 GP, 88 P
Tye McGinn -- 48 GP, 30 P

Age 19
Nick Cousins -- 64 GP, 103 P
Tye McGinn -- 50 GP, 62 P

Age 20
Nick Cousins -- N/A
Tye McGinn -- 42 GP, 64 P

That's pretty irrelevant considering neither of them will be big time point producers at the next level. I voted for Cousins because he has a little more upside but I don't see him becoming anything special at the next level.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
That's pretty irrelevant considering neither of them will be big time point producers at the next level. I voted for Cousins because he has a little more upside but I don't see him becoming anything special at the next level.

And your reason for discounting the possibility that there could be an appreciable offensive difference between Cousins and McGinn at the pro level?

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
And your reason for discounting the possibility that there could be an appreciable offensive difference between Cousins and McGinn at the pro level?

I dunno, I don't see Cousins becoming another Marchand. I hope he does, but Marchand seems to have elevated his game to beyound only being a pest. I think Cousins will be an above average scoring pest (above average as in above the average pest, not above average scoring in general.)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Cousins' skating & size are concerns. Hell, he won't even make the NHL if he doesn't learn how to play defense.

I just don't put as much stock into stats especially from Juniors, they only tell half of the story if that.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I dunno, I don't see Cousins becoming another Marchand. I hope he does, but Marchand seems to have elevated his game to beyound only being a pest. I think Cousins will be an above average scoring pest (above average as in above the average pest, not above average scoring in general.)

Idk the puck just follows this kid and he's got some skill too. I see Cousins as a 35+ pt guy who will irritate the **** out of the opposing players.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia

There's a biiiiiig gap between Marchand and McGinn offensively. The NHL equivalency of McGinn's AHL numbers is about 15 points per 82. Marchand is at 50 points per 82 at the NHL level. If you think Cousins is closer to Marchand than he is to McGinn, he is the easy choice.

Cousins' skating & size are concerns. Hell, he won't even make the NHL if he doesn't learn how to play defense.

I just don't put as much stock into stats especially from Juniors, they only tell half of the story if that.

Cousins has 3 years to catch up to McGinn in terms of getting stronger and more positionally sound.

The most lucrative talent you can bring to an NHL roster is scoring ability, and Cousins has shown he's far more advanced on that front.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Cousins has 3 years to catch up to McGinn in terms of getting stronger and more positionally sound.

The most lucrative talent you can bring to an NHL roster is scoring ability, and Cousins has shown he's far more advanced on that front.

Dude, I'm not arguing if Cousins has more upside or is the better prospect right now over McGinn. I even said I voted for Cousins & would put Straka next over McGinn.

All I said is that posting their junior stats really means nothing. There's been plenty of guys who put up big numbers in Juniors & went on to do jack **** in the Pros. People look way too much into stats was my point.

Hell someone on here was questioning whether Nichushkin was worthy of top 10 selection earlier this year because he only put up a few points in the KHL this year. That's stat watching at its finest.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Dude, I'm not arguing if Cousins has more upside or is the better prospect right now over McGinn. I even said I voted for Cousins & would put Straka next over McGinn.

Yet you are arguing that the main evidence for valuing Cousins over McGinn is irrelevant.

All I said is that posting their junior stats really means nothing. There's been plenty of guys who put up big numbers in Juniors & went on to do jack **** in the Pros. People look way too much into stats was my point.

Well, you're wrong. Meaningful relationships between Junior scoring and NHL success have been shown to exist (see link for one of many studies). You can get useful data from Junior. You're going to get varying results with any method for projecting future results. That goes for scouting analysis, stats analysis, or any combination of the two. That doesn't mean you're just as well throwing out all the data.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2009/01/how-does-scoring-in-junior-predict.html

Hell someone on here was questioning whether Nichushkin was worthy of top 10 selection earlier this year because he only put up a few points in the KHL this year. That's stat watching at its finest.

Take it up with them. We're talking about two players who both played Junior at typical ages.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yet you are arguing that the main evidence for valuing Cousins over McGinn is irrelevant.

Well, you're wrong. Meaningful relationships between Junior scoring and NHL success have been shown to exist (see link for one of many studies). You can get useful data from Junior. You're going to get varying results with any method for projecting future results. That goes for scouting analysis, stats analysis, or any combination of the two. That doesn't mean you're just as well throwing out all the data.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2009/01/how-does-scoring-in-junior-predict.html

Wait so you discredit Gostisbehere because of his draft position & physical traits despite putting up good numbers in college but if I do the same with Cousins it doesn't count? I don't get it. :dunno:

My personal opinion is that Cousins won't be anymore than a 30 point guy max in the NHL because of his limitations. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it.

I'm not buying your study here in the case of Cousins. Stats are half the battle.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Wait so you discredit Gostisbehere because of his draft position & physical traits despite putting up good numbers in college but if I do the same with Cousins it doesn't count? I don't get it. :dunno:

I never discredited Ghostisbehere. I said he hasn't proven that he's a top-tier prospect. 44 points in 77 ECAC games and a #78 overall selection sans outstanding physical traits do not a top tier prospect make.

If he does something like what Dan Boyle did in his Junior year (54 points in 40 games), or Justin Schultz (44 points in 37 games), or Jake Gardiner (41 P in 41 G) or even Jack Johnson (39 P in 36 G) while wowing scouts, then there will be a legitimate argument for Ghost as a premium prospect.

My argument is that to this point he simply does not possess the resume to make him a "top tier" prospect. I don't think he even possesses the resume to push him ahead of Cousins (who I do not view as "top tier" either).

My personal opinion is that Cousins won't be anymore than a 30 point guy max in the NHL because of his limitations. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it.

I'm not buying your study here in the case of Cousins. Stats are half the battle.

That's a far cry from calling the stats I provided irrelevant and meaningless. I put them up here because I believe they are meaningful and add value to the conversation, not because I think they are the be-all, end-all. But in this case, there is such an overwhelming difference in the statistical resumes of two mid-round selections that I think it speaks volumes.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Part of me thinks that a strong-skating, big forward (McGinn) is a safer bet than a somewhat undersized, poor skating forward (Cousins). Nevertheless, I still voted Cousins because he has a higher ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad