Prospect Info: Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #3

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I think it goes Ghost 4th, Stolarz 5th then Cousins or Straka 6th.

I really like our 1-7, after that there's a decent drop off.

I go...

1. Laughton
2. Morin
3. Hagg
4. Gostisbehere
5. Cousins

Then the dropoff begins...

I put Straka, Stolarz, McGinn, Noebels, Akeson, Manning, Lauridsen, (Bourdon), and Flanagan in this tier.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
This one should be unanimous.

#4 should be Gostisbehere. I think Cousins should be #5, but it will probably be Stolarz.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I go...

1. Laughton
2. Morin
3. Hagg
4. Gostisbehere
5. Cousins

I put Straka, Stolarz, McGinn, Noebels, Akeson, Manning, Lauridsen, (Bourdon), and Flanagan in this tier.

I agree 100 percent with the ranking but it's just not how I see it playing out in the polls. I'm a big believer in Cousins, I truly think he'll be a solid NHLer but unfortunately many on here don't think his game will translate to the next level. Combine that with the Stollie and more recently Straka hype and I see Cousins falling a bit. Don't get me wrong, I think Stolarz has the tools to be a really good player but it's so early. And as far as Straka is concerned if he can learn to play all zone next season in the AHL and stay healthy I think he's got an NHL future but that's a lot of if's and even still I would consider him a slightly bigger and slightly younger Akeson.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I really don't consider Bourdon a prospect anymore. He may count because he didn't play enough games yet but I wouldn't rank him personally.

Neither do I. I mean if you do consider him a prospect cause of the numbers game then don't you have to consider Gus a prospect still too. Gus only has 15 more NHL games then Bourdon.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I go...

1. Laughton
2. Morin
3. Hagg
4. Gostisbehere
5. Cousins

Stolarz is easily going to be 5th. He has the biggest upside by a ton. Cousins just doesn't have that.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Neither do I. I mean if you do consider him a prospect cause of the numbers game then don't you have to consider Gus a prospect still too. Gus only has 15 more NHL games then Bourdon.

I wonder what would happen if we did a 25 and under poll and ranked our players like we would prospects based on potential and likely level of play...

1. Giroux
2. Voracek

Then all bets are off...

Couturier, B. Schenn, L. Schenn, Simmonds, Gustafsson, Laughton, Morin, Hagg, Gostisbehere, Cousins...

It'd be a lot more interesting than a prospects watch alone, and honestly, I'd like to see where we rank among the rest of the league in our 25 and under team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yup, I guess I get the feeling if Bourdon wasn't hurt he would have likely went over what the number is for required games this year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I agree 100 percent with the ranking but it's just not how I see it playing out in the polls. I'm a big believer in Cousins, I truly think he'll be a solid NHLer but unfortunately many on here don't think his game will translate to the next level. Combine that with the Stollie and more recently Straka hype and I see Cousins falling a bit. Don't get me wrong, I think Stolarz has the tools to be a really good player but it's so early. And as far as Straka is concerned if he can learn to play all zone next season in the AHL and stay healthy I think he's got an NHL future but that's a lot of if's and even still I would consider him a slightly bigger and slightly younger Akeson.

Well to be fair, Cousins is in the same boat as Straka when it comes to working on their defensive games. I personally think both will spend the full year in Adirondack.

Raffl, McGinn, Akeson, & Noebels will be ahead of them in the pecking order for call-ups IMO.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
I chose Hagg over Ghost because Hagg was deemed good enough to play 27 games in the SEL while we don't know if Ghost could hack it at higher levels yet. Though I suppose it is possible that Hagg was just brought up due to injury issues on Modo and they didn't have anyone else available.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I wonder what would happen if we did a 25 and under poll and ranked our players like we would prospects based on potential and likely level of play...

1. Giroux
2. Voracek

Then all bets are off...

Couturier, B. Schenn, L. Schenn, Simmonds, Gustafsson, Laughton, Morin, Hagg, Gostisbehere, Cousins...

It'd be a lot more interesting than a prospects watch alone, and honestly, I'd like to see where we rank among the rest of the league in our 25 and under team.

I would like to see this.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I went with Ghost. I feel like HF tends to like the shiny new prospects a little too much. Hagg would be #4 on my list behind Ghost.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I went with Ghost. I feel like HF tends to like the shiny new prospects a little too much. Hagg would be #4 on my list behind Ghost.

Eh its where they are in their careers plus potential. Ghost might have a better offensive game but I think Haag will have a better overall. Add in the smaller Haag could technically play for the Flyers now and I think Haag wins. If ghost continues to improve defensive game it could change. Right now Haag looks like he could be pp and pk while ghost just pp some pk.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I think people are selling Alt short because of a bad collegiate season.

Drafted in the 2nd rd, 6'4" 210 RHD that can skate really well.

I think he will pass Ghost after another season of working with Murray in the A.

???? - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Grossmann - Alt

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

I agree. Hagg is solid, but Gostisbehere is one of the most skilled defenseman I saw all last year. He has gamebreaking ability. Something, as you all are well aware, that this organization desperately needs on the backend. Hagg is a solid puck mover, but I don't see him contributing to the level of Gostisbehere.

Everyone will say he's too small, but to me that just adds to his upside. Great skater, good hands, and pound for pound one of the best clappers among prospects. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in Orange and Black in April.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I agree. Hagg is solid, but Gostisbehere is one of the most skilled defenseman I saw all last year. He has gamebreaking ability. Something, as you all are well aware, that this organization desperately needs on the backend. Hagg is a solid puck mover, but I don't see him contributing to the level of Gostisbehere.

Everyone will say he's too small, but to me that just adds to his upside. Great skater, good hands, and pound for pound one of the best clappers among prospects. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in Orange and Black in April.

Yea, we will need a powerplay quarterback once Kimmo retires and, hopefully Ghost will be that guy.
It feels great to have so many quality defensive prospects in the organization.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yea, we will need a powerplay quarterback once Kimmo retires and, hopefully Ghost will be that guy.
It feels great to have so many quality defensive prospects in the organization.

The funny thing is, with his shot, he hasn't really been asked to really QB a PP. He's been more of a triggerman on the right side. He definitely has the skills to be one, but he needs some time in the system. Him playing pitch and catch with Giroux one day could be a treat to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad