#19 -
#20 -

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Danault for me.

Again, I suggest Raanta not be considered a prospect. He's our backup, he's fulltime roster barring an injury.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Hayden...I'm surprised he's been mostly ignored so far.

Still some solid guys with AHL/NHL experience on the board. Hayden has some potential. Will be interesting to see how he develops playing the abbreviated Ivy League schedule. Already has some nice size and developed body...I'm sure the Hawks would rather have him playing somewhere where he'd see the ice more.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
danault...he will take Krugers roster spot when Stan can't pay the best 4th line C in the league to stay...(I think Danault has a higher ceiling than Kruger as well)

poes law

Nov 11, 2013
Responding to a post from the previous topic.

BobbyJet said:
True ..... but that doesn't mean our prospects are anything special. Other than TT, most are destined to be 3rd liners at best, if they make it at all. Yes, to a large extent, it is a product of picking late, but let's not exaggerate the quality of our draft picks.

I agree that outside of TT and Schmaltz, and maybe Hartman, most of our forward prospects are more likely bottom 6 guys than top 6 guys, but I was just pointing out that the fact that Rockford missed the playoffs isn't the greatest indicator of the strength of the prospect pool.

As to your second point, I think that is part of the drafting philosophy; for example, take a look at our 2011 draft. #18 McNeill, #26 Danault, #35 Clendening, and #43 Saad; the two first rounders seem more like safe picks, guys who are more likely to play in the NHL at all, and the two second rounders seem like more boom or bust types, higher upside than the first rounders, but less likely to stick because of Clendening's defensive deficiencies and Saad's "effort problems." Obviously, with hindsight, we can see that Saad's effort problems were majorly overblown as he has already won a cup as a regular roster player, but that was the reason he dropped so low.

When someone says that the Hawks are stacked with prospects, it's not too far off considering that the first 7 prospects so far could all realistically have careers longer than just a cup of coffee, and then there are certainly going to be a couple of surprises among the rest just like every other team. However, I doubt that most teams have more than a handful of prospects that they confidently project as being legitimate NHLers in the future even if their guys do have higher upside.

Ultimately though, the fascination with prospects is excessive. I get that prospects represent whats going to come in the future, but by using prospects, we unnecessarily exclude players like MacKinnon just because he was good enough to play in the NHL immediately while at the same time blowing our load over how great a guy like Drouin is going to be.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Responding to a post from the previous topic.

I agree that outside of TT and Schmaltz, and maybe Hartman, most of our forward prospects are more likely bottom 6 guys than top 6 guys, but I was just pointing out that the fact that Rockford missed the playoffs isn't the greatest indicator of the strength of the prospect pool.

As to your second point, I think that is part of the drafting philosophy; for example, take a look at our 2011 draft. #18 McNeill, #26 Danault, #35 Clendening, and #43 Saad; the two first rounders seem more like safe picks, guys who are more likely to play in the NHL at all, and the two second rounders seem like more boom or bust types, higher upside than the first rounders, but less likely to stick because of Clendening's defensive deficiencies and Saad's "effort problems." Obviously, with hindsight, we can see that Saad's effort problems were majorly overblown as he has already won a cup as a regular roster player, but that was the reason he dropped so low.

When someone says that the Hawks are stacked with prospects, it's not too far off considering that the first 7 prospects so far could all realistically have careers longer than just a cup of coffee, and then there are certainly going to be a couple of surprises among the rest just like every other team. However, I doubt that most teams have more than a handful of prospects that they confidently project as being legitimate NHLers in the future even if their guys do have higher upside.

Ultimately though, the fascination with prospects is excessive. I get that prospects represent whats going to come in the future, but by using prospects, we unnecessarily exclude players like MacKinnon just because he was good enough to play in the NHL immediately while at the same time blowing our load over how great a guy like Drouin is going to be.

Nice post.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Have no idea what you guys see in Danault. He is well behind McNeill in development. Raanta, McNeill, Rundblad, Hayden and maybe even Nordstrom should be ahead of Danault.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
After TT this prospect pool is basically wide open as far as I see it, and no one is "wrong" for how they rank them at that point.

Speaking for myself, my thoughts on the Rockford guys are based on a very, very small sample size so I'm not going on much. I just like what I've seen from Danault and at this spot in the ranking I was back and forth between him and McNeil, but really, what does it matter who is one spot behind or ahead at this point on this list? Completely arbitrary past the top couple of spots in this organization, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad