Prospect Info: Top 20 Chicago Blackhawk Prospects - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The #6 prospect poll was a tight race but Nick Schmaltz pulled it out (Schmaltz 21 votes > Dahlbeck 18)
schmaltz-600-locker.jpg

Who is our #7?

#1 - Teuvo Teravainen (100%)
#2 - Jeremy Morin (36.36%)
#3 - Adam Clendening (41.54%)
#4 - Stephen Johns (36.51%)
#5 - Ryan Hartman (56.76%)
#6 - Nick Schmaltz (47.73%)
#7 -
#8 -
#9 -
#10 -
#11 -
#12 -
#13 -
#14 -
#15 -
#16 -
#17 -
#18 -
#19 -
#20 -

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I forgot the thread starts without poll

I was eating my lunch (Papa John's) while watching Simpson slowly putting it together

Dahlbeck gets my vote again

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I voted for Dahlbeck again (thought he should have been 5th).

It seems many Hawks fans think of Dahlbeck as an afterthought, if they think of him at all. He was a 3rd round draft pick in 2011 so it's not like he's some guy claimed off the scrap heap whose ceiling is journeyman. His strength is his defensive game where is is compared with Hjalmarsson in terms of size, stick, positioning, but his offensive game is better. His improvement from the 2012/13 season to 2013/14 is noteworthy, where he played 70 games in 12/13 and scored 1 goal and 6 points compared with scoring 10 goals and 35 points in 75 games last season. Plus he's right handed.

Schmaltz may end up better, but Dahlbeck should be an established NHL player by the time that happens, if it happens.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
So we keep hearing. I'll be a little more convinced when Rockford makes the playoffs.

Making the playoffs in the AHL is irrelevant. Why are teams like The Wolves and the Texas Stars always good? Austin and Chicago are appealing cities to live in for AhL lifers. The Stars won last year behind an AHL veteran goalie and 3 leading scorer, AHL lifers. Their complementary pieces were there Morin's, Pirri's and Clendening's. I mean, Texas has Campbell, a top 5-10 goalie prospect in hockey and they played this random 30year old over him all season.

It is a question of priorities. Rockford is a pure developmental team, other AHL squads are not treated that way... At all.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Dahlbeck, then I think Hayden has the best potential, above that of McNeill and Danault.

poes law

Nov 11, 2013
So we keep hearing. I'll be a little more convinced when Rockford makes the playoffs.

Out of the top 6 prospects, only #2 and #3 played significant time in the AHL. Even Morin spent a decent amount of time in the NHL. Rockford also lost Pirri and Hayes as contributors throughout the season. Besides them, the roster was largely made up of professional rookies, both Broadhurst, Danault, McNeill, Ross, and Leblanc, I believe. Nordstrom was getting his first experience in NA. The vets on the team were guys like Mills, Brookbank, Peckham, and Nightingale; in fact, the highest scoring vet for the Icehogs was Winchester, with 30 points in 55. Most of the posters on this board are highly critical of the head coach, Ted Dent. Despite all of this, the Icehogs were 4 points behind 8th. While we would all like if they were to make the playoffs, it's not really a knock on our prospect pool that they didn't.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Out of the top 6 prospects, only #2 and #3 played significant time in the AHL. Even Morin spent a decent amount of time in the NHL. Rockford also lost Pirri and Hayes as contributors throughout the season. Besides them, the roster was largely made up of professional rookies, both Broadhurst, Danault, McNeill, Ross, and Leblanc, I believe. Nordstrom was getting his first experience in NA. The vets on the team were guys like Mills, Brookbank, Peckham, and Nightingale; in fact, the highest scoring vet for the Icehogs was Winchester, with 30 points in 55. Most of the posters on this board are highly critical of the head coach, Ted Dent. Despite all of this, the Icehogs were 4 points behind 8th. While we would all like if they were to make the playoffs, it's not really a knock on our prospect pool that they didn't.

True ..... but that doesn't mean our prospects are anything special. Other than TT, most are destined to be 3rd liners at best, if they make it at all. Yes, to a large extent, it is a product of picking late, but let's not exaggerate the quality of our draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad