Prospect Info: Top 20 Chicago Blackhawk Prospects - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
Yeah I agree. I think some voters vote more towards who is closer to being NHL ready, than just who is the better prospect.

For me, the "better prospect" includes being able to produce at higher levels. Even among highly rated prospects, few maintain their hype as they advance closer to the NHL. When I rate a guy like Schmaltz I always think back to the draft hype of Morin, McNeil, Hartman, Danault, and try to keep Schmaltz's ceiling in perspective.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Schmaltz has much more talent/skill than any of those players do though. Those players got to be successful by giving 100% effort while not quite having an elite skill level. Schmaltz has been successful by just his talent alone.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Schmaltz has much more talent/skill than any of those players do though. Those players got to be successful by giving 100% effort while not quite having an elite skill level. Schmaltz has been successful by just his talent alone.

That's both the positive and negative of him, but I'll be optimistic and use it as a positive.

He has elite skill, period, and that's not an exaggeration. With his skill level he could have and should have torn the USHL apart point-wise. He still had good production, but with his abilities he could have done even more. Even with what he did, he was still a First Round caliber player and that was without seeing the best of what he really is capable of.

If he decides to increase his effort and work ethic, even in the offensive zone, he absolutely can be a top-six player at the NHL level. I'm not saying he's going to be as good or is the exact same player, but he has a lot of Kane qualities in him as far as his hands, vision, creativity, and skating ability go. He's quick, shifty, elusive, and he's smart on top of it all. I'm really interested to see how he progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad