"Top 20" 2004 Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
whlfanatic said:
Dubnyk a bad year? 4 shut outs 2.49 GAA 14-9-3 record.

And he's 17, you think thats havnig a bad season?

:dunno:

I didn't know, I just asked if he was because I though I remembered him having a really bad Canada selection camp. Either way, no way Schwarz goes before Montoya now.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
My thinking behind my proposal is this:

Ron Hainsey->We have Souray and Markov on the left side.
Marcel Hossa->Good potentiel but isn't consistent.Still Good value.
Richard Zednik->Will be replaced by Ovechkin himself
Mike Ribeiro->Higgins,Plekanec or UFA can replace him
1st round pick in 2004->We are getting Ovechkin!
1st round pick in 2005->We are getting Ovechkin!

We also have Jozef Balej,Andrei Kostsitsyn, Alex Perezhogin, Mike Komisarek, Plekanec, Higgins coming up with Bulis,Ryder,Sundstrom,Begin,ward and Langdon already in the lineup and wil cards like Korneev, Milroy , Ferland, Lapierre and Urquhart possibly becoming very good.

Do you think they would make the deal if one of the 1st round pick would be taken off?

Ovechkin-Koivu-Kostsitsyn :yo:

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Some comments based on WJC:

- Nothing against Malkin, but only reason I might take him ahead of Olesz is if I was worried about the concussion(s?) and I still would take Olesz. He's going to score big time, unbeliavable balance and hands, and he is clever too.

- Tukonen's strength is not a problem, talent wise he is great. The problem I have with him is decision making, he needs to do think and act faster. I'm somewhat concerned about lack of production against tougher competition too.

- Ovechkin is great and a lock to go first, but I have some doubts on whether he'll live up to the hype. Comparions to Owen Nolan are apt, and like Nolan his hockey sense may not be elite level. Truely great players (Lemieux, Gretzky, Stevens, McInnis, Forsberg...) have great vision to go with great skills and some like Numminen play great despite average ability simply because they are so smart. Shear talent only gets you so far, but then again Ovechkin has a lot of it.

- Nokelainen should become a solid, physical winger. Nothing too fancy about him, but no big flaws either and he plays hard. On a normal draft year he would be a second rounder IMO, but the draft supposedly lacks depth so might go in first.

leafaholix*

Marek Schwarz had a bad WJC number wise, but having seen him in 3 of his games, the guy is the most flexible goaltender I've ever seen. Even in the NHL... including guys like Hasek and Luongo.

If I'm looking at NHL style...

Alvaro Montoya: Marty Turco
Marek Schwarz: Dominic Hasek

Scouts go to tournaments in order to see talent... not just the numbers.

And from the bit I saw, I'd take Marek Schwarz in the top 5.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
teme said:
- Ovechkin is great and a lock to go first, but I have some doubts on whether he'll live up to the hype. Comparions to Owen Nolan are apt, and like Nolan his hockey sense may not be elite level. Truely great players (Lemieux, Gretzky, Stevens, McInnis, Forsberg...) have great vision to go with great skills and some like Numminen play great despite average ability simply because they are so smart. Shear talent only gets you so far, but then again Ovechkin has a lot of it.

Huh? Did you not see this kid play against men in the EHT? He's VERY smart IMO.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
Komisarek8 said:
My thinking behind my proposal is this:

Ron Hainsey->We have Souray and Markov on the left side.
Marcel Hossa->Good potentiel but isn't consistent.Still Good value.
Richard Zednik->Will be replaced by Ovechkin himself
Mike Ribeiro->Higgins,Plekanec or UFA can replace him
1st round pick in 2004->We are getting Ovechkin!
1st round pick in 2005->We are getting Ovechkin!

We also have Jozef Balej,Andrei Kostsitsyn, Alex Perezhogin, Mike Komisarek, Plekanec, Higgins coming up with Bulis,Ryder,Sundstrom,Begin,ward and Langdon already in the lineup and wil cards like Korneev, Milroy , Ferland, Lapierre and Urquhart possibly becoming very good.

Do you think they would make the deal if one of the 1st round pick would be taken off?

Ovechkin-Koivu-Kostsitsyn :yo:

Huh,... It's no secret that the Habs will every thing do to get in the 2005 entry draft #1 Sidney Crosby!
His favourite team are the Habs. So I think they would like to have Sid in 2 years! He's very popular in Quebec!
They won't trade the whole team for Ovechkin! But.... probably for Crosby!!! :)

go pierre hedin:

Hasek=Roman Malek

Many Czechs compare him to Hasek!

Jacobv2:

I think Olesz played great at his WJC although the injury and if he plays great at the U 18 tournament this year he will picked as #2!

Well, at least according to Kevin Prendergast, who's in charge of the Oiler's draft, it's a "no-brainer" that Ovechkin and Malkin go 1-2. The comment is a bit off the cuff, but the way he said it implies that the Oilers aren't the only team that thinks this way.

The other interesting thing he says is that he thinks most teams if forced to choose between Cam Barker and the three d-men from last year: Suter, Coburn, and Phaneuf, then Barker would most likely be chosen 4th.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
Marek Schwarz had a bad WJC number wise, but having seen him in 3 of his games, the guy is the most flexible goaltender I've ever seen. Even in the NHL... including guys like Hasek and Luongo.

If I'm looking at NHL style...

Alvaro Montoya: Marty Turco
Marek Schwarz: Dominic Hasek

Scouts go to tournaments in order to see talent... not just the numbers.

And from the bit I saw, I'd take Marek Schwarz in the top 5.

Personally, I think Montoya is much more similar to Rick Dipietro than Marty Turco, but I agree with what you said generally.

endacka

Mar 7, 2002
Paris
Visit site
P.S. I give ten bucks to the first person who can pronounce me Olesz's.[/QUOTE]

I guess, U should give me your phone number. Its like olesch. like Volek, former NHLer, without V and k adding sch.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
My list:

1. Alexander Ovechkin LW/R 6'2 200 (RUS)
2. Rostislav Olesz C/L 6'1 191 (CZE)
3. Yevgeny Malkin C/L 6'3 176 (RUS)
4. Cam Barker D/L 6'2 1/2 207 (CAN)
5. Alvaro Montoya GK/L 6'2 185 (USA)
6. Wes O’Neill D/L 6'4 215 (CAN)
7. Marek Schwarz GK/L 6'0 176 (CZE)
8. Lauri Tukonen RW/R 6'2 194 (FIN)
9. Wojtek Wolski LW/L 6'3 200 (CAN)
10. Robbie Schremp C/L 5'11 197 (USA)
11. Devin Dubnyk GK/L 6'5 186 (CAN)
12. Drew Stafford C/R 6'2 201 (USA)
13. Kyle Chipchura C/L 6'2 197 (CAN)
14. Alexander Radulov RW/L 5'11 176 (RUS)
15. Andrew Ladd LW/L 6'2 200 (CAN)
16. Alexandre Picard LW/L 6'2 190 (CAN)
17. Johannes Salomonsson RW/L 6'2 183 (SWE)
18. Andrej Meszaros D/L 6'2 189 (SVK)
19. Johan Fransson D/L 6'1 185 (SWE)
20. Jeff Likens D/R 6'0 185 (USA)

I'd be hesitant to draft Montoya in the top ten. Although he was nothing short of awsome at the WJC, I don't think his play at Michigan this year warrants top ten billing.
Definately a first rounder though.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Jacobv2 said:
What kind of a skater is Malkin?

He is ok skater from what I've seen, pretty strong on the skates and very fast.

I have found another Malkin video, it is from the WJC U18 2003, bronze medal game USA - Russia.

http://alexovechkin.narod.ru/video/malkin-usa.avi - great pass by Andrei Pervyshin or Dmitri Petrov (not quite sure by whom but seems it was defenseman so probably Pervyshin, he made many similar passes in the tornament).

Last edited:

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
I hope Schremp drops out of the top 10. Maybe Dallas can pick him up...we need a new young scorer to replace Modano...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Komisarek8 said:
Do you think if the Habs got the 15th overall pick and made an offering like that to let's say Colombus(1st overall pick), what would they say?

Mike Ribeiro
Ron Hainsey
Marcel Hossa
1st round pick in 2004
1st round pick in 2005
Richard Zednik

That would be like the Herschel Walker trade in the late 80's in the NFL. The Vikings traded a ton to the Cowboys for Walker, the Cowboys used the draft picks to build a dynasty in the 90's.

Munchausen

Fedz said:
They would be absolutely crazy to say no, I mean ovechkins good, but not that good.

Apparently Savard made an offer to Atlanta in 2001 for their 1st pick overall to get his hands on Kovalchuk. The reported offer was something along the lines of Markov, Garon, two 1st picks in 2001 (7th + 25th overall which ended up being Komisarek and Perezhogin) and Zednik. And even with that, it wasn't enough to convince Wadell. It's not crazy to think it will need a crazy offer to get either Ovechkin or Crosby. That's the kind of value a potential franchise player has.

leafaholix*

Marcel Hossa's done absolutely nothing.

Aside from his draft position and last name, he's been more of a disappointment then anything.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
Munchausen said:
Apparently Savard made an offer to Atlanta in 2001 for their 1st pick overall to get his hands on Kovalchuk. The reported offer was something along the lines of Markov, Garon, two 1st picks in 2001 (7th + 25th overall which ended up being Komisarek and Perezhogin) and Zednik. And even with that, it wasn't enough to convince Wadell. It's not crazy to think it will need a crazy offer to get either Ovechkin or Crosby. That's the kind of value a potential franchise player has.

I don't think they offered as much as this. As I heard it was just:
-Mathieu Garon
-MTL's 1st picks in 2001 (Komisarek)
-Two players they didn't wanted to give the identity. I don't think it would be Markov and Zednik or something around. (Savard is not foolish)

Waddell refused the offer, cause Kovalchuk is a Franchise player that could take the control of the Expansion team who was in it's third year.

But it was very close, Waddell tough about it more than one time!

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Hokay said:
Yes! And Montoya didn't looked very good out of his net today instead of Marty Turco who usually look good.

Montoya's actually a very good puckhandler.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
cagney said:
Montoya's actually a very good puckhandler.

Yes that's what I heard during the gold medal game. But I was only talking of his stickhandling only about this game. Sorry if tought I talked overally, cause he's a great puckhandler, you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad