News Article: Top 14 centers can lead to Cup championship

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The NHL ranked the top 14 centers, Kopi came in 3rd behind Crosby and Toewes (and I'd argue he should have been 2nd)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728946&navid=DL|NHL|home

I was glad to see Tavares on the list (#7) considering he's had little to nothing to work with, from the back forward, including PP and such, he's been phenomenal. In 2013, that spring drive he made, he carried that team on his back into the playoffs.

In scanning the individual writesr' list at the bottom, Dan Rosen put Giroux ahead of Kopitar, really??? Kopi had lead his team to 3 conference finals and 2 Cups in the last 3 years. Giroux has been a playoff bust during that same timeand I've suffered thru every game. Reg season he's a great 60 -65 game player (slow starts each year) but just so far hasn't shown he's a money playerin the playoffs, when they need him vs. good checking teams with solid defense (NJ devils in 2012 and Rangers 2014) Some players just don't have shoulders that broad when they need them.
ranking him 4th in the NHL...don't know what Rosen was thinking.

Captain Mittens*

The thread on the main board about this article is comedy

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The thread on the main board about this article is comedy

Thanks for the tip, I checked that out, I can't believe there are 8 pages of comments already. I only got thru 3 and the comments that are posted about another comment are gold. Like the amount of posters who put up their own list of the top centers and then someone comments 'your list is garbage'
funny stuff...

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Typical bush league main board trash. Basically unreadable. Factor in my ignore list and it might as well be a blank page.

Thank goodness we have a real great group here.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
I like on the main board all the talk about two way centers are overrated.
The last 5 cup winners all have two way centers. So winning is overrated.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

If you're an elite two-way center, you're carried by your teammates and thus you win Cups. If you're an elite offensive center, then your teammates aren't good enough for you to carry them to win. That's basically main board logic in a nutshell. It's entirely hive mind or the highway around there.

What's interesting is you won't find any credible hockey analyst outside of HF who actually ranks players the same way the forum does. The problem is that we've seen so many polls and threads about ranking players that we (the royal we) are pre-disposed to regurgitating the same players in the same order, repeatedly. HF consensus and all. Hockey analysts don't read HF, thus they have opinions which aren't valid around these parts.

Anyway, interesting read, nonetheless. I enjoy reading opinions of analysts who haven't been tainted by this place.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Nah, the real champions are Anaheim, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Boston.

Everyone knows the equation for success on HFBoards is - Potential > Execution

I looked at the thread on the main board and let out a fart. It felt appropriate.

If it wasn't juicy, it doesn't count.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Sweet, I've said for a while that that is my order of the best 3 forwards in the game

Crosby because he just is the best. Toews because he beats everyone head to head, and Kopitar because he beats everyone but Toews head to head.

Beating other top players in the league in a straight matchup is what wins games and cups, not putting up lots of points vs bad eastern teams (insert the entire eastern conference then joke here)

Nefarious

Classless Doty
Jun 27, 2006
King's Landing
Yeah, I read a lot of that thread on the MB. I was practically in tears laughing. It's a train wreck, and I couldn't look away. The guys that post there are so full of themselves, and all they look at are offensive statistics, no advance stats, no defense, no match ups, and as others have pointed out - winning/results.

I also still enjoy the Lundqvist > Quick threads. It was just a couple years ago when they were saying Quick's better stats were marginal and didn't mean anything. Then it was, Quick has a cup, but "the King" is still better. Then it was, if it was Quick vs Hank in the SCF, Hank would win.

HF mainboards have gone full Pejorative Slur.

545736_219091141527527_1423588758_n.jpg

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
I also still enjoy the Lundqvist > Quick threads. It was just a couple years ago when they were saying Quick's better stats were marginal and didn't mean anything. Then it was, Quick has a cup, but "the King" is still better. Then it was, if it was Quick vs Hank in the SCF, Hank would win.

to be fair, Lundqvist completely outplayed Quick in the series. We are with the cup, but we have the better team. I now concede Quick is 2nd in the league at best.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
dan Rosen...Giroux ahead of Kopi?...hmmm Kopi has two cups, and Giroux 0...makes no sense

Ron*

to be fair, Lundqvist completely outplayed Quick in the series. We are with the cup, but we have the better team. I now concede Quick is 2nd in the league at best.

Are you joking?

Did you forget to use this classic emoticon? :sarcasm:

It's absolutely imperative that you use this emoticon :sarcasm: if you are joking, beause if you don't, I will take you seriously AND POINT OUT THAT:

Quick did not allow a goal in the 3rd period or any of the overtimes in the entire series and HankBoy allowed 6.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
I hope that everyone puts Kopitar as the 15 the best center. Need to keep costs down

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I hope that everyone puts Kopitar as the 15 the best center. Need to keep costs down

"He is going to give the Kings that big hometown discount and sign for under $8 million"

How did I do?

I know it's big shoes to fill, but I hope I did a good job.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Dean's gonna give Kopi an ultimatom, he'll tell him he can't make more than the highest earner Doughboy.

Nefarious

Classless Doty
Jun 27, 2006
King's Landing
Are you joking?

Did you forget to use this classic emoticon? :sarcasm:

It's absolutely imperative that you use this emoticon :sarcasm: if you are joking, beause if you don't, I will take you seriously AND POINT OUT THAT:

Quick did not allow a goal in the 3rd period or any of the overtimes in the entire series and HankBoy allowed 6.

Also, wasn't Quick the only one with a shutout in the entire series? IIRC that was also the first game in NY where Quick had never played. IMO, that was the nail in the coffin.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

What ?

Hank is a reason the Rangers lost....You miss that fat rebound that ended the Finals ?

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
I love Henrik but it was Quick who was the better goalie in the series. The guy didn't let a single one in 3rd and overtime periods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad