Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
In the spirit of MSE’s idea, here are my most hated teams in Flyers history. Later on I’ll post lists of individual villains /nemeses

Dishonorable mentions:
The 88-89 Penguins
Mid 90s to 2006 Sabres
Early 2000s Ottawa Senators

10. Montreal in the mid to late 70s
It was a mix of jealousy and hatred, but we despised those Habs teams mainly because we could never beat em!

9. Today’s Washington Capitals
Tom f’n Wilson pretty much says it all.

8. mid to late 80s Capitals
Any team that employed Dale Hunter and Kevin Hatcher is automatically on this list

7. NYI late 70s thru mid 80s
Garry Howatt and the like we’re thoroughly despised in Philly. f***ers stole the 1980 Cup from us too!!

6. Boston, mid to late 70s
One of the Flyers earliest rivals, the battles between our clubs were epic and the hate ran deep.

5. St Louis 67-72
The Flyers first true rivalry. With players like Steve Durbano, Noel Picard and the Plager bros, the Blues were public enemy #1 in the earliest days of the Flyers franchise

4. NJ Devils since the mid 90s
Brodeur, Stevens and Claude f***ing Lemieux, need I go on?

3. Toronto 75-77
The hatred between these 2 teams was off the chart! It was war when these teams met during this era and with the NHL’s blatant favoritism of the Leafs and visceral hatred of the Flyers it was always us against the world when played in Toronto.

2. Pittsburgh since 2005
Crybaby Crosby and his band of cheap shot whiners are thoroughly and rightfully despised in Philly. Matt Cooke and James Neal both fill me with murderous intent!

1. The New York F’n Rangers
From Brad Park to Tomas Sandstrom to Jeff Beukeboom to Sean Avery, this is the franchise we all love to hate. They can all rot in hell! Jay Snider said it best: “you want to beat any team to show that you are superior, but you want to beat the Rangers just to shut them up” Never forget, fans of this franchise were the ones who held up a sign saying: Buy a Porsche Hextall!! f*** them all!!

And there ya go! As always please feel free to comment and post a list of your own. Oh, and wash your damn hands!!

This list, and the list of villains, lacks Oilers. This always has bugged me and always will, that those ****ers don't get the hate from our fanbase that they deserve. I couldn't care less that they didn't do Ulf-like things with Ulf-like regularity - they broke our hearts twice, but especially in 87. Will never, ever, ever forgive them, and everyone on that team is a complete villain. Except for Steve Smith.

HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA EAT ALL THE WEINERS, YOU DUMMY! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
This list, and the list of villains, lacks Oilers. This always has bugged me and always will, that those ****ers don't get the hate from our fanbase that they deserve. I couldn't care less that they didn't do Ulf-like things with Ulf-like regularity - they broke our hearts twice, but especially in 87. Will never, ever, ever forgive them, and everyone on that team is a complete villain. Except for Steve Smith.

HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA EAT ALL THE WEINERS, YOU DUMMY! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah it was more jealousy than hatred when it came to those f***s (except for Tikanen, f*** him!). I wish that Flyers team had a franchise center to match up with them. IMO, it was the one thing that team badly lacked.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
How about top 10 signs from sign guy?

Discussed on Page 19 or thereabouts.

GYI0060552515.jpg

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Too much respect for Gretzky to hate him. For those too young to remember, Gretzky regularly got nice ovations in enemy arenas, including the Spectrum.

But the rest of that Oilers team I hated with a passion, especially Messier and Tikkanen. The best part of the Lindros era was how easily we handled the Rangers. Lindros just dominated Messier. And for some reason, Kevin Haller got under his skin and constantly goaded that Skeletor-looking bastard into dumb fights.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Too much respect for Gretzky to hate him. For those too young to remember, Gretzky regularly got nice ovations in enemy arenas, including the Spectrum.

But the rest of that Oilers team I hated with a passion, especially Messier and Tikkanen. The best part of the Lindros era was how easily we handled the Rangers. Lindros just dominated Messier. And for some reason, Kevin Haller got under his skin and constantly goaded that Skeletor-looking bastard into dumb fights.

Gretzky and the Oilers rarely won in Philadelphia. Including the playoffs, the Flyers were 17-4-0 against the Oilers from 1979-80 through 1987-88 in Philadelphia but that includes Edmonton winning a game in each of the 1985 and 1987 Finals.

In the three post-season series during the 1980s (1980, 1985 and 1987), the Flyers went 5-2 at home and 2-6 in Edmonton for a 7-8 record.

In the regular season, the Flyers were 17-10-2 overall against the Oilers, 12-2-0 at home and 5-8-2 in Edmonton.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Phyllis Foreman dies at 92; the sister of the late Ed Snider, she created Flyers nickname and helped design their logo

Phyllis Foreman dies at 92; the sister of the late Ed Snider, she created Flyers nickname and helped design their logo

In the summer of 1966, on the way home from seeing a Broadway show, Ed Snider and his wife, Myrna, and Phyllis Foreman and her husband, Earl, were among a group that stopped at a Howard Johnson’s to get something to eat. (Earl Foreman, who once owned part of the Eagles and assisted Snider in decisions made by the hockey team, died at 92 in 2017.)

The discussion at the New Jersey Turnpike eatery turned toward naming the hockey team, whose first season would start in October of 1967.

“I was thinking of people skating and sliding around the ice,” Phyllis Foreman said in Full Spectrum by Jay Greenberg, “and Flyers just popped into my head. Everybody thought it was great.”

At the time, it was decided that it would be the club’s nickname, but that Phyllis couldn’t be the winner of a “name the team” contest that was about to launch.

The contest ran for 10 days and had more than 11,000 entries, including the Acmes, the Scars and Stripes, the Liberty Bells, and the Quakers. A nine-yard-old boy from Narberth, Alec Stockard, who had submitted “Fliers” -- with an i -- was declared the winner of the contest, but the team used Phyllis’ spelling.

According to Full Spectrum, the Flyers’ logo and uniform design were commissioned to Mel Richman Inc., a Philadelphia advertising and graphic design firm. Sam Ciccone is the artist who drew the logo, though Lindy Snider said her aunt, who was an artist and painter, “came up with the concept of the P with the wing. She was very instrumental in all of that.”

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

In the summer of 1966, on the way home from seeing a Broadway show, Ed Snider and his wife, Myrna, and Phyllis Foreman and her husband, Earl, were among a group that stopped at a Howard Johnson’s to get something to eat. (Earl Foreman, who once owned part of the Eagles and assisted Snider in decisions made by the hockey team, died at 92 in 2017.)

The discussion at the New Jersey Turnpike eatery turned toward naming the hockey team, whose first season would start in October of 1967.

“I was thinking of people skating and sliding around the ice,” Phyllis Foreman said in Full Spectrum by Jay Greenberg, “and Flyers just popped into my head. Everybody thought it was great.”

At the time, it was decided that it would be the club’s nickname, but that Phyllis couldn’t be the winner of a “name the team” contest that was about to launch.

The contest ran for 10 days and had more than 11,000 entries, including the Acmes, the Scars and Stripes, the Liberty Bells, and the Quakers. A nine-yard-old boy from Narberth, Alec Stockard, who had submitted “Fliers” -- with an i -- was declared the winner of the contest, but the team used Phyllis’ spelling.

According to Full Spectrum, the Flyers’ logo and uniform design were commissioned to Mel Richman Inc., a Philadelphia advertising and graphic design firm. Sam Ciccone is the artist who drew the logo, though Lindy Snider said her aunt, who was an artist and painter, “came up with the concept of the P with the wing. She was very instrumental in all of that.”
Great story! R.I.P. Phyllis

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I listed the following a few years ago in the first post of the "Visitor's Guide" sticky. I have not read each.

However, if you want introspective experiences, Bernie Parent's recent book is suggested or something biographical as Bill Meltzer's book on Pelle Lindbergh.

Gene Hart's book should be read just because it is Gene Hart. Gormley's book is a quick, easy read the way it is written. Jim Jackson's book is recommended, too.

Otherwise, you can do some research on a source such as Amazon to see what fills your desires.

What books have been written on the Flyers?
  1. "Full Spectrum: The Complete History of the Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club" by Jay Greenberg.
    • Updated in 2016: "The Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The Story of the Iconic Hockey Club and its Top 50 Heroes, Wins & Events" by Jay Greenberg.
  2. "Score!: My Twenty-Five Years with the Broad Street Bullies" by Gene Hart.
  3. "Bobby Clarke and the Ferocious Flyers" by Stan Fischler.
  4. "Orange, Black and Blue" by Chuck Gormley.
  5. "Walking Together Forever: The Broad Street Bullies, Then and Now" by Jim Jackson.
  6. "Pelle Lindbergh: Behind the White Mask" by Bill Meltzer & Thomas Tynander.
  7. "The Broad Street Bullies: The Incredible Story of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Jack Chevalier (though this is rare and expensive).
  8. "Philadelphia Flyers Encyclopedia" by David Sherman.
  9. "The Greatest Players and Moments of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Stan Fischler.
  10. "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Philadelphia Flyers: Heart-pounding, Jaw-dropping, and Gut-wrenching Moments from Philadelphia Flyers History" by Adam Kimelman.
  11. "100 Things Flyers Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die" by Adam Kimelman.
  12. "Jonesy: Put Your Head Down & Skate" by Keith Jones.
  13. "Journey Through Risk and Fear" by (Bernie) Parent, Michele M. Paiva & Dean Smith.
  14. "Philadelphia Flyers: Superman of the Ice" by Stan Fischler.
  15. "Open Net" by George Plimpton. A must for any hockey fan. The book is mostly about the author's tryout with the Bruins but it includes the notorious Flyers-Bruins' late 1970s preseason game brawl at the Spectrum and that alone is worth the read.
  16. "Fred Shero: A Kaleidoscopic View of the Philadelphia Flyers' Coach" by Rhoda Rappeport.
  17. "Shero: The Man Behind the System" by Fred Shero and Vijay S. Kothare.
  18. "Hockey For The Coach, The Player, And The Fan" by Fred Shero and Andre Beaulieu
  19. "The Riverton Rifle: My Story -- Straight Shooting on Hockey and on Life" by Reggie Leach
  20. "Keith the Thief" by Blake Allen
  21. "Sports Illustrated Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The All-Time Team - The Bitter Rivalries - The Back-to-Back Cups" by the editors of Sports Illustrated
  22. "Philadelphia Flyers, Pennsylvania (Images of Sports Series)" by Russ Cohen, Mike del Tufo, Joe del Tufo and Bruce "Scoop" Cooper
  23. "If These Walls Could Talk" by Lou Nolan and Sam Carchidi
  24. "Unmasked: Bernie Parent and the Broad Street Bullies" by Bernie Parent
  25. "The Big 50: Philadelphia Flyers: The Men and Moments that Made the Philadelphia Flyers" by Sam Carchidi and Wayne Fish
What DVDs are available?
  • Philadelphia Flyers 10 Greatest Games DVD Set
  • History of the Philadelphia Flyers
Got around to reading "If these walls could talk" during this isolation period.

The stories were enjoyable enough, but my god did Carchidi bungle the formatting. Several stories included identical paragraphs from earlier in the book, like he was so lazy he just cut and pasted instead of re-writing.

I didn't have any particular expectations going into the reading, but my general feeling after finishing it was disappointment.

No ill will towards Lou; all disappointment directed at Carchidi.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Got around to reading "If these walls could talk" during this isolation period.

The stories were enjoyable enough, but my god did Carchidi bungle the formatting. Several stories included identical paragraphs from earlier in the book, like he was so lazy he just cut and pasted instead of re-writing.

I didn't have any particular expectations going into the reading, but my general feeling after finishing it was disappointment.

No ill will towards Lou; all disappointment directed at Carchidi.

Every time I encounter Sam's work I'm disappointed someone younger and competent isn't receiving his pay.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
I don't know what the numbers will show but the Flyers had tremendous success against Patrick Roy (Montreal days) and seemed to do better against Billy Smith than Glenn Resch. Jacques Plante had the Flyers' number in the early days with the expansion Blues. The established Bruins under Gerry Cheevers had strong numbers. But I also seem to recall Mike Vernon being a thorn in the side. Just random goalies over the years to consider.

I remember the ordinary Chris Terreri always looking like a Vezina winner when he played the Flyers. 18-7-4 with a .909 SV% and a 2.72 GAA vs the Flyers.

As for Roy in his Montreal days, he was 1-10-7 vs the Flyers (excluding the 1989 playoffs), according to the 1996-97 Flyers yearbook. In Colorado, he was 6-2-3 against us.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Gretzky and the Oilers rarely won in Philadelphia. Including the playoffs, the Flyers were 17-4-0 against the Oilers from 1979-80 through 1987-88 in Philadelphia but that includes Edmonton winning a game in each of the 1985 and 1987 Finals.

In the three post-season series during the 1980s (1980, 1985 and 1987), the Flyers went 5-2 at home and 2-6 in Edmonton for a 7-8 record.

In the regular season, the Flyers were 17-10-2 overall against the Oilers, 12-2-0 at home and 5-8-2 in Edmonton.

We even beat them with the guy from Hair Club For Men in net.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@BiggE

I won't criticize someone else's list but there are so many better games that were overlooked including the one often discussed in this thread [Game 4 1977 at Toronto PO series]. It is obviously skewered towards recent years but this does look like an entertaining bracket...

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE

I won't criticize someone else's list but there are so many better games that were overlooked including the one often discussed in this thread [Game 4 1977 at Toronto PO series]. It is obviously skewered towards recent years but this does look like an entertaining bracket...

Yeah there are some key games missing for sure. If you are going for the most “memorable” of all time, I might have to go with game 7 vs Boston in 2010 as the comeback in both that game and series will likely end up being a once in a lifetime event.

Now if it’s most “important” game of all time, I have to go with game 2 of the 74 finals. If they lose that game in Boston, they likely don’t win the Cup that spring. To me, there is no more pivotal game in Flyers history.

Finally, the most exciting game I ever saw in person was game 6 of the 87 finals. The roar of the crowd after Daigneault’s goal was deafening!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Yeah there are some key games missing for sure. If you are going for the most “memorable” of all time, I might have to go with game 7 vs Boston in 2010 as the comeback in both that game and series will likely end up being a once in a lifetime event.

Now if it’s most “important” game of all time, I have to go with game 2 of the 74 finals. If they lose that game in Boston, they likely don’t win the Cup that spring. To me, there is no more pivotal game in Flyers history.

Finally, the most exciting game I ever saw in person was game 6 of the 87 finals. The roar of the crowd after Daigneault’s goal was deafening!

And any list that doesn't include Game 7 vs. NYR in 1974 doesn't understand post-expansion hockey. It was, in essence, our version of the Jets-Colts Super Bowl.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Absolutely!!
Brackets like these should appeal to younger fans but I would suggest having a start date: say 1995-2020 (25 years). There are too many games that can be excluded or overlooked especially for those who didn't experience. YouTube is void of too many 1985 and 1987 games and that is sad. An Islanders' fan, to his credit, shows some of his teams' wins against the Flyers from that era but there is a void with the Flyers' wins.

One game mentioned in that bracket is the post-Lindbergh win against the Oilers. But the OT comeback win against the Islanders three days later -- without the ceremony -- was arguably a better game and gave the team its 13th straight win.

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
And now, the 10 Greatest OT goals in Flyers history!!

HONORABLE MENTIONS
5/1/75 Bobby Clarke vs NYI
4/15/77 Rick Macleish vs TOR
5/9/89 Dave Poulin vs MTL
5/21/95 Eric Desjardins vs NYR
6/7/95 Eric Lindros vs NJD
5/2/00 Andy Delmore vs PIT
4/16/03 Mark Recchi vs TOR in 3OT

10. 4/15/77 Reggie Leach vs TOR
This one tied the series up, capped off one of the greatest Flyer single game comebacks and took all the life out of the Leafs and their fans.

9. 6/2/10 Claude Giroux vs CHI
The biggest OT goals come in the final and this was a huge one. A young Claude Giroux got the Flyers back into that series with his game 3 heroics.

8. 4/14/73 Rick Macleish vs MTL
This was the goal that gave the young Bullies the confidence to know that they could skate with the big boys. Though they lost the series, here is where the road to the 74 Cup began.

7. 5/4/04 Jeremy Roenick vs TOR
For pure excitement, this might well be #1. JR’s electrifying goal on the heels of Kapanen almost being knocked out cold won the series and silenced Maple Leaf Gardens. It was awesome!

6. 5/7/10 Simon Gagne vs BOS
If Gagne doesn’t score this huge goal, the greatest comeback in Flyers history likely never happens. At the time it was just a feel good moment, but a week later it was epic

5. 5/20/04 Simon Gagne vs TB
This goal capped off a thrilling game that left the Flyers one game away from a trip to the finals. Keith Primeau was a force of nature during this spring and if not for a devastating rash of injuries to the D, there is no doubt in my mind that the Flyers would have won their third Cup in 2004. (sigh)

4. 4/22/08 Joffrey Lupul vs WAS
What a way to cap off the amazing resurgence that was the 07-08 season. The Flyers had blown a 3-1 lead in the series and were a single mistake away from disaster when Lupul, at the tail end of a rare OT powerplay, put the Caps away.

3. 4/10/85 Mark Howe vs NYR
Going into game one of the 85 playoffs the Flyers had not won a series since 1981 and had been utterly humiliated in their last 2 first round losses. Though the Flyers had finished with the leagues best record, Mike Keenan’s young team was wound tighter than a drum going into the playoffs. When Mark Howe ended game one in OT, he didn’t just give the Flyers a 1-0 lead in their 1st round series. More importantly, he removed the weight of the world from a young team’s shoulders and set them on their way to the Stanley Cup Final!

2. 5/4/00 Keith Primeau vs PIT in 5OTs
Five f’n OTs!!Five!! Epic doesn’t do this one justice. The stories, the goaltending, the move Primeau made and the shot he roofed on the game winner!! This was one for the ages!

But there can only be one at the top....

1. 5/9/74 Bobby Clarke vs BOS
The greatest goal in franchise history was scored by the greatest player in franchise history. Prior to the finals, the Flyers had not won in Boston since the 67-68 season. After losing game 1, the Flyers knew, to a man, that game 2 was a must win game. They simply had to win in Boston if they wanted to drink from Lord Stanley’s Cup. Bobby Clarke’s will to win was indomitable that day as the captain, who seemed to be on the ice other shift, put his own rebound past Bruins goalie Gilles Gilbert and guaranteed that as long as the Flyers took care of business at home, the Cup was theirs. It’s the biggest goal and biggest win in Flyers history and for those of us old enough to remember it, it was glorious!!

And there you have it, you know the drill.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
And now, the 10 Greatest OT goals in Flyers history!!

HONORABLE MENTIONS
5/1/75 Bobby Clarke vs NYI
4/15/77 Rick Macleish vs TOR
5/9/89 Dave Poulin vs MTL
5/21/95 Eric Desjardins vs NYR
6/7/95 Eric Lindros vs NJD
5/2/00 Andy Delmore vs PIT
4/16/03 Mark Recchi vs TOR in 3OT

10. 4/15/77 Reggie Leach vs TOR
This one tied the series up, capped off one of the greatest Flyer single game comebacks and took all the life out of the Leafs and their fans.

9. 6/2/10 Claude Giroux vs CHI
The biggest OT goals come in the final and this was a huge one. A young Claude Giroux got the Flyers back into that series with his game 3 heroics.

8. 4/14/73 Rick Macleish vs MTL
This was the goal that gave the young Bullies the confidence to know that they could skate with the big boys. Though they lost the series, here is where the road to the 74 Cup began.

7. 5/4/04 Jeremy Roenick vs TOR
For pure excitement, this might well be #1. JR’s electrifying goal on the heels of Kapanen almost being knocked out cold won the series and silenced Maple Leaf Gardens. It was awesome!

6. 5/7/10 Simon Gagne vs BOS
If Gagne doesn’t score this huge goal, the greatest comeback in Flyers history likely never happens. At the time it was just a feel good moment, but a week later it was epic

5. 5/20/04 Simon Gagne vs TB
This goal capped off a thrilling game that left the Flyers one game away from a trip to the finals. Keith Primeau was a force of nature during this spring and if not for a devastating rash of injuries to the D, there is no doubt in my mind that the Flyers would have won their third Cup in 2004. (sigh)

4. 4/22/08 Joffrey Lupul vs WAS
What a way to cap off the amazing resurgence that was the 07-08 season. The Flyers had blown a 3-1 lead in the series and were a single mistake away from disaster when Lupul, at the tail end of a rare OT powerplay, put the Caps away.

3. 4/10/85 Mark Howe vs NYR
Going into game one of the 85 playoffs the Flyers had not won a series since 1981 and had been utterly humiliated in their last 2 first round losses. Though the Flyers had finished with the leagues best record, Mike Keenan’s young team was wound tighter than a drum going into the playoffs. When Mark Howe ended game one in OT, he didn’t just give the Flyers a 1-0 lead in their 1st round series. More importantly, he removed the weight of the world from a young team’s shoulders and set them on their way to the Stanley Cup Final!

2. 5/4/00 Keith Primeau vs PIT in 5OTs
Five f’n OTs!!Five!! Epic doesn’t do this one justice. The stories, the goaltending, the move Primeau made and the shot he roofed on the game winner!! This was one for the ages!

But there can only be one at the top....

1. 5/9/74 Bobby Clarke vs BOS
The greatest goal in franchise history was scored by the greatest player in franchise history. Prior to the finals, the Flyers had not won in Boston since the 67-68 season. After losing game 1, the Flyers knew, to a man, that game 2 was a must win game. They simply had to win in Boston if they wanted to drink from Lord Stanley’s Cup. Bobby Clarke’s will to win was indomitable that day as the captain, who seemed to be on the ice other shift, put his own rebound past Bruins goalie Gilles Gilbert and guaranteed that as long as the Flyers took care of business at home, the Cup was theirs. It’s the biggest goal and biggest win in Flyers history and for those of us old enough to remember it, it was glorious!!

And there you have it, you know the drill.
^ And one that absolutely needs to be mentioned is Ilkka Sinisalo Game 1 vs. Montreal in 1987. Perhaps the most tantalizing goal scored in Flyers' history.

One to add...Arguably Tim Saunders' most famous call (though not on this clip):

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
^ And one that absolutely needs to be mentioned is Ilkka Sinisalo Game 1 vs. Montreal in 1987. Perhaps the most tantalizing goal scored in Flyers' history.

One to add...Arguably Tim Saunders' most famous call (though not on this clip):

The Sinisalo goal should at the very least be an HM, my bad! It was in my notes, but I just spaced on it. Carcillo’s goal got some consideration, but that series ended so poorly that I felt it was best left off the list, lol.

The other one that came close was Don Blackburn’s 2OT goal in game 6 against St Louis in 68.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The Sinisalo goal should at the very least be an HM, my bad! It was in my notes, but I just spaced on it. Carcillo’s goal got some consideration, but that series ended so poorly that I felt it was best left off the list, lol.

The other one that came close was Don Blackburn’s 2OT goal in game 6 against St Louis in 68.

I will create a top ten list later but my initial feeling is the Sinisalo goal will make my top ten.

Why did the series against the Devils end poorly? That was a unifying experience. A win that helped exorcised demons and partly set the 2010 run in motion. Or do you mean the 2010 season ended poorly? Still, that shouldn't affect this goal.

The one game that could be compared to 1968 is 1988 Game 4 vs. Washington in what would be Mike Keenan's last win with the Flyers. The team was down by three goals with about nine minutes to play. One bleeping amazing comeback. The crowd was thinking the same thing "Here we go again...repeat of 1987..." wild and stunned simultaneously. Then came the unthinkable, three straight losses and that ghastly Game 7. One fantastic comeback overshadowed by the next three games. The Game 4 OT winning goal led to one of the most famous pictures in Flyers' history when Tocchet and Craven embraced near the goal line while on their knees.

I think this was the cover of the Flyers' calendar or one of their other publications:

hug-1.jpg

Finally, Kevin Haller in 1995 vs. NYR should be mentioned.

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I will create a top ten list later but my initial feeling is the Sinisalo goal will make my top ten.

Why did the series against the Devils end poorly? That was a unifying experience. A win that helped exorcised demons and partly set the 2010 run in motion. Or do you mean the 2010 season ended poorly? Still, that shouldn't affect this goal.

The one game that could be compared to 1968 is 1988 Game 4 vs. Washington in what would be Mike Keenan's last win for the Flyers. The team was down by three goals with about nine minutes to play. One bleeping amazing comeback. The crowd was thinking the same thing "Here we go again...repeat of 1987..." wild and stunned simultaneously. Then came the unthinkable, three straight losses and that ghastly Game 7. One fantastic comeback overshadowed by the next three games. The Game 4 goal/OT win led to one of the most famous pictures in Flyers' history when Tocchet and Craven embraced near the goal line while on their knees.

I think this was the cover of the Flyers' calendar or one of their other publications:

hug-1.jpg

Finally, Kevin Haller in 1995 vs. NYR should be mentioned.
Yeah, you are right re the Carcillo goal, I guess I was thinking more about his overall career as a Flyer. He just wasn’t a guy I ever warmed up to.

This was a hard list to do. The first 2 spots were easy, but after that it was tough. I gave more credence to the goals that came deeper in the playoffs along with series deciding goals like Lupul’s. But no matter what, there were going to be some good ones left of the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad