Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The top 10 most important non players in Flyers history!!

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Joe Kadlec
Jay Snider
Russ Farwell
Ron Hextall

10. VP Lou Scheinfeld
In the early days of the franchise, Scheinfeld was Ed Snider’s do everything right hand man. He’s also the guy who brought us Kate Smith and God Bless America.

9. Lou Nolan
The in arena voice of the Flyers for basically forever. He’s a true gem. LOOUUU!!!!!!!

8. GM Paul Holmgren
Yeah it didn’t end well, but never forget that he had the worst team in the NHL in the conference final the next season and in the SCF just 2 years after that. His trades of Carter/Richards were also ballsy as hell moves that are rarely seen in today’s NHL

7. HC Mike Keenan
Iron Mike got us closer to that 3rd Cup than any other coach in team history. In many eras, his teams would have won multiple titles. He also did an amazing job getting the team past the Lindbergh tragedy.

6. GM Bob Clarke
As GM, he certainly had flaws, but one cannot overlook the full body of his work. In 16 full years as GM, his team made the playoffs 15 times, got to the Conf. final 7 times, and the Cup final 3 times. That’s pretty damned good.

5. Gene Hart
He was simply the voice of the Flyers. Gene Hart called the game brilliantly and more importantly he patiently taught the game to a generation of new hockey fans. When it comes to hockey play by play, he is the GOAT. Good night, and good hockey forever!

4. Joe C. Scott
A lot of younger fans are probably saying “Who??” right now. Joe was the long time Chairman of the Board emeritus for the Flyers in the early years. The reason for this was that without Joe’s long time connections and influence with Philadelphia’s major financial institutions, the Flyers would have never secured the necessary funding to get the organization off the ground. To put it simply, no Joe C. Scott, no Flyers!

3. HC Fred Shero
Freddie the Fog was the befuddled genius who guided the Broad Street Bullies to back to back Cups. He was the perfect coach for that colorful bunch and he was extremely innovative and way ahead of his time.

2. GM Keith Allen
Allen was a f***ing genius! Keith the thief built a juggernaut in the 70s that reached the NHL’s final 4 6 straight years and 7 times overall. Along the way, his teams reached the SCF 4 times and won 2 Cups and he built the team that went 35 games without a loss in 79-80. No other GM in team history can hold a candle to Keith Allen!

1. Owner/chairman Ed Snider
Very few owners in any sport lived and died with their teams like Mr Snider. He was one of the great builders in NHL history and a truly one of a kind individual. We all owe him a huge debt of gratitude for bringing NHL hockey to Philly and building such an amazing franchise. R.I.P. Sir, you are deeply missed.

Good job. I would put Bill Putnam (colors, original investor/exec), who went onto the Atlanta Flames, and Sam Ciccone (logo creator) on the HM list. The Flyers colors and logo may be overlooked but both are iconic and almost similar since day one.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
There is no one even close to the Cowboy on that list, lol. Rick Macleish’s mustache would be 2nd

season-player-jerome-mrazek-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-and-player-picture-id53130443

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@BiggE

Here is one of those little known moments from the early days of post-expansion NHL. I retrieved it from my archives:

March 9, 1972 -- Bill Flett (3-1-4) stunned his former teammates in his return to LA as the Flyers won 5-3 in front of 6,618. Flett had asked to be traded from the Kings because the home fans booed him often. Bobby Clarke (2-3-5) gave Philly a 1-0 lead in the opening minute of the second period. The Kings scored twice in the third period and led 2-1 until the Flyers began a comeback with 9:02 to play. Flett, Clarke and Flett again scored within 40 seconds, the latter two 10 seconds apart, to give Philly a 4-2 lead. Flett and Clarke each recorded four points in a span of 3:31. Flett made it 5-3 and became the first Flyers' player to score a hat trick in one period. Flett scored two PPGs in the third period, one four seconds into the PP and the other five seconds into the PP. Because Kings' owner Jack Kent Cooke was so disgusted, he demanded that Flett not be made one of the three post-game stars. Afterwards, Bobby Clarke gave Flett a spittoon with an inscription that read "Unspeakable Star of the Game."

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It would be tough to pick the greatest individual players season in Flyers history but in the running would be:

Bobby Clarke 72-73, 74-75, 75-76
Bernie Parent 73-74, 74-75
Bill Barber 75-76
Reggie Leach 75-76
Mark Howe 82-83, 83-84, 84-85, 85-86
Rick Macleish 72-73
Tim Kerr 83-84, 84-85, 85-86, 86-87
Mark Recchi 92-93
Eric Lindros 93-94, 94-95, 95-96, 96-97, 98-99
John Leclair 94-95, 95-96, 96-97
Mikael Renberg 94-95
Peter Forsberg 05-06
Simon Gagne 05-06
Chris Pronger 09-10
Claude Giroux 11-12, 13-14, 17-18
Shayne Gostisbehere 17-18
Sean Couturier 19-20

I would probably add:

Brian Propp 83-84, 84-85, 85-86 (though 85-86 the best... top 10 in Hart voting)
Jakub Voracek 14-15, 17-18
Rod Brind'Amour 93-94, 95-96
Jeff Carter 08-09
Mike Richards 07-08, 08-09
Eric Desjardins 98-99, 99-00

All kind of "All-Star" team vote kind of seasons where produced at a fantastic level vs NHL... and all had argument to being top ~10 in league at their position those years. (In the wingers and Desjardins cases top 5)

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE

Here is one of those little known moments from the early days of post-expansion NHL. I retrieved it from my archives:

March 9, 1972 -- Bill Flett (3-1-4) stunned his former teammates in his return to LA as the Flyers won 5-3 in front of 6,618. Flett had asked to be traded from the Kings because the home fans booed him often. Bobby Clarke (2-3-5) gave Philly a 1-0 lead in the opening minute of the second period. The Kings scored twice in the third period and led 2-1 until the Flyers began a comeback with 9:02 to play. Flett, Clarke and Flett again scored within 40 seconds, the latter two 10 seconds apart, to give Philly a 4-2 lead. Flett and Clarke each recorded four points in a span of 3:31. Flett made it 5-3 and became the first Flyers' player to score a hat trick in one period. Flett scored two PPGs in the third period, one four seconds into the PP and the other five seconds into the PP. Because Kings' owner Jack Kent Cooke was so disgusted, he demanded that Flett not be made one of the three post-game stars. Afterwards, Bobby Clarke gave Flett a spittoon with an inscription that read "Unspeakable Star of the Game."
Awesome, thanks!!

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I would probably add:

Brian Propp 83-84, 84-85, 85-86 (though 85-86 the best... top 10 in Hart voting)
Jakub Voracek 14-15, 17-18
Rod Brind'Amour 93-94, 95-96
Jeff Carter 08-09
Mike Richards 07-08, 08-09
Eric Desjardins 98-99, 99-00

All kind of "All-Star" team vote kind of seasons where produced at a fantastic level vs NHL... and all had argument to being top ~10 in league at their position those years. (In the wingers and Desjardins cases top 5)
Good stuff!!

When you narrow it to 10 it gets tough. Parents 2 Vezina/Smythe seasons are a given as are Clarke’s 3 MVP seasons and both Barber and Leach in 75-76. Add to that Lindros in both 94-95 and 95-96 and you only have one spot left. I’m going to need to give this one a lot of thought, but right now I’m leaning towards either Mark Howe in 85-86, Hexy in 86-87 or Giroux’s eye popping first season as a full time LW in 17-18.

It’s a really tough call!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Good stuff, I’d probably change the rankings a bit, mainly by moving Holmgren up a couple spots, but overall, well done!

Yeh, Holmgren was tough to place. Debated at #6... but I think Murphy and Seidenberg were more "valuable" players at their peak, both as legit ~#2-3 defensemen vs Holmgren being a damn good 2nd liner.

Also felt harsh on Lemelin. Was not "that" far away from Peeters in terms of peak and prime... but difference was enough to drop him.

Reactions: BiggE

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
NBCSports Philadelphia had Top 10 goals in Flyers playoff history

Their list:
10. Lindros 1997 at NYR
9. Roenick at Toronto
8. Haller vs. NYR
7. Poulin vs. Quebec
6. Primeau at Pittsburgh
5. Daigneuealt vs. Edmonton
4. Gagne at Boston
3. Kelly at Buffalo
2. MacLeish vs. Boston
1. Clarke at Boston

My list. The three GWG goals (two in 1974 and one in 1975) in the Finals could easily be 1-2-3 on the list if importance is the criteria. No denying that but I went for a different approach than what was listed. And the Roenick goal was an instant classic but...

My list:
HM. Lupul at Washington. You win Game 7 on the road in OT. You should make a list.

10. Lindros 1997 at NYR -- The script was written and then the network canceled the hit TV show.

9. Howe vs. NYR -- Game 1 against the Rangers in 1985 was something exotic. The Flyers had lost 9 of 10 playoff games the prior three years. They had a rookie coach in Mike Keenan. They faced their nemesis of the past. Their archrivals. And they blew a lead in the final minute of regulation. Here we go again. And then Mark Howe scored. The weight of the world was collectively lifted off the shoulders of staff, players and yes even fans. That set the tone for the entire Cup run and the foundation for the "Baby Bullies," the new generation, as they were sometimes called.

8. Kelly at Buffalo -- Obviously more significant than some others ranked ahead but there was another goal scored later and the Flyers would have crushed Buffalo had there been a Game 7 in Philly. I mean pureed. Devoured. Decimated. Squashed. Annihilated.

7. Primeau at Pittsburgh -- 2:35 a.m. 5 OTs. Nothing else mattered.

6. Leach at Toronto -- the most overlooked or forgotten goal in team history and not mentioned on the NBC list. Here is the scene:
It was one of the most dramatic recoveries in NHL playoffs history. And this can't be understood properly unless people experienced the time period. This was more than a hockey rivalry at the time. This was societal, almost as much as sports. The Flyers came off three straight Cup Finals. In 1976, members of the Flyers appeared in courts in Toronto due to on-ice violence. This Game 4 of 1977 was as much us-against-them as any game of this era. The Toronto-Philadelphia rivalry was immense. The Flyers lost the first two games of this 1977 series against Toronto, both games in Philadelphia. The scene in Toronto was beyond belief. Going to Toronto down 2-0 in games. The entire hockey world or so it seemed had the Flyers dead. "The Leafs have bloomed, the Flyers are doomed" was an image shown on TV from inside the arena prior to Game 3 when Rick MacLeish's OT game winner in Toronto. A little light shined. But then Game 4, one of the most remarkable events in NHL history and I will stick to that. Lanny MacDonald scored four goals, three on PPs for Toronto. Bruce Hood, as infamous as any ref in Flyers' history, issued 63 PIMs to the Flyers to 12 for Toronto. Plus, three Flyers' players were ejected. Three game misconducts including two members of the Flyers second line at the same time after they flipped out on Hood with over half the third period expired. To set the scene: The Leafs led by three goals with a little over five minutes to play and going up 3-1 in the series. A crazed Maple Leafs Garden. And yet another powerplay. Then a SHG by the Flyers re-booted their drive, 5-3. Then 5-4 with less than two minutes to play. Then Bobby Clarke scored with about a minute left in regulation. This was also one of the most inspiring games of Clarke's captaincy. Then the victory culminated with Reggie Leach's slapper in the final minute of OT. After the game Lanny McDonald (not exact words) said "Every year we play them and every year we lose to them but one of these years we will beat them if it takes 101 games." In case people don't know what a Reggie Leach slapper meant:

5. Gagne at Boston -- This was the culmination of arguably the most staggering series in team history.

4. Poulin vs. Quebec -- Again, while not a Cup Finals goal, this was perhaps the coolest goal ever scored by a Flyer with the possible exception of Ron Hextall's shot in Washington.

3. Daigneault vs. Edmonton -- Yes, it came in a lost series but that is how mesmerizing and tantalizing this goal. Stories have been written about the noise level at the Spectrum. While 1980 was the greatest screw job in NHL history, this was the greatest disappointment. The Flyers should have won this Cup. The goal in Game 6 in 1987 was earth-shattering. The parade in 1987 would have dwarfed any team in any sport. And I mean that with the ultimate point of emphasis! You guys who were too young just don't know what you missed in 1987.

2. MacLeish vs. Boston -- He set up the tying goal in Game 2 with one of the most adept passes ever and in the final few seconds, to Moose Dupont, and he surpassed it with this goal.

1. Clarke at Boston -- Arguably the best goal call in Flyers history! Gene Hart. Without the goal, comes no Cup.

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
NBCSports Philadelphia had Top 10 goals in Flyers playoff history

Their list:
10. Lindros 1997 at NYR
9. Roenick at Toronto
8. Haller vs. NYR
7. Poulin vs. Quebec
6. Primeau at Pittsburgh
5. Daigneuealt vs. Edmonton
4. Gagne at Boston
3. Kelly at Buffalo
2. MacLeish vs. Boston
1. Clarke at Boston

My list. The three CUP Finals' GWG goals (two in 1974 and one in 1975) could easily be 1-2-3 on the list if importance is the criteria. No denying that but I went for a different approach than what was listed. And the Roenick goal was an instant classic but...

My list:
HM. Lupul at Washington. You win Game 7 on the road in OT. You should make a list.

10. Lindros 1997 at NYR -- The script was written and then the network canceled the hit TV show.

9. Howe vs. NYR -- Game 1 against the Rangers in 1985 was something exotic. The Flyers had lost 9 of 10 playoff games the prior three years. They had a rookie coach in Mike Keenan. They faced their nemesis of the past. Their archrivals. And they blew a lead in the final minute of regulation. Here we go again. And then Mark Howe scored. The weight of the world was collectively lifted off the shoulders of staff, players and yes even fans. That set the tone for the entire Cup run and the foundation for the "Baby Bullies," the new generation, as they were sometimes called.

8. Kelly at Buffalo -- Obviously more significant than some others ranked ahead but there was another goal scored later and the Flyers would have crushed Buffalo had there been a Game 7 in Philly. I mean pureed. Devoured. Decimated. Squashed. Annihilated.

7. Primeau at Pittsburgh -- 2:35 a.m. 5 OTs. Nothing else mattered.

6. Leach at Toronto -- the most overlooked or forgotten goal in team history and not mentioned on the NBC list. Here is the scene:
It was one of the most dramatic recoveries in NHL playoffs history. And this can't be understood properly unless people experienced the time period. This was more than a hockey rivalry at the time. This was societal, almost as much as sports. The Flyers came off three straight Cup Finals. In 1976, members of the Flyers appeared in courts in Toronto due to on-ice violence. This Game 4 of 1977 was as much us-against-them as any game of this era. The Toronto-Philadelphia rivalry was immense. The Flyers lost the first two games of this 1977 series against Toronto, both games in Philadelphia. The scene in Toronto was beyond belief. Going to Toronto down 2-0 in games. The entire hockey world or so it seemed had the Flyers dead. "The Leafs have bloomed, the Flyers are doomed" was an image shown on TV from inside the arena prior to Game 3 when Rick MacLeish's OT game winner in Toronto. A little light shined. But then Game 4, one of the most remarkable events in NHL history and I will stick to that. Lanny MacDonald scored four goals, three on PPs for Toronto. Bruce Hood, as infamous as any ref in Flyers' history, issued 63 PIMs to the Flyers to 12 for Toronto. Plus, three Flyers' players were ejected. Three game misconducts including two members of the Flyers second line at the same time after they flipped out on Hood with over half the third period expired. To set the scene: The Leafs led by three goals with a little over five minutes to play and going up 3-1 in the series. A crazed Maple Leafs Garden. And yet another powerplay. Then a SHG by the Flyers re-booted their drive, 5-3. Then 5-4 with less than two minutes to play. Then Bobby Clarke scored with about a minute left in regulation. This was also one of the most inspiring games of Clarke's captaincy. Then the victory culminated with Reggie Leach's slapper in the final minute of OT. After the game Lanny McDonald (not exact words) said "Every year we play them and every year we lose to them but one of these years we will beat them if it takes 101 games." In case people don't know what a Reggie Leach slapper meant:

5. Gagne at Boston -- This was the culmination of arguably the most staggering series in team history.

4. Poulin vs. Quebec -- Again, while not a Cup Finals goal, this was perhaps the coolest goal ever scored by a Flyer with the possible exception of Ron Hextall's shot in Washington.

3. Daigneault vs. Edmonton -- Yes, it came in a lost series but that is how mesmerizing and tantalizing this goal. Stories have been written about the noise level at the Spectrum. While 1980 was the greatest screw job in NHL history, this was the greatest disappointment. The Flyers should have won this Cup. The goal in Game 6 in 1987 was earth-shattering. The parade in 1987 would have dwarfed any team in any sport. And I mean that with the ultimate point of emphasis! You guys who were too young just don't know what you missed in 1987.

2. MacLeish vs. Boston -- He set up the tying goal in Game 2 with one of the most adept passes ever and in the final few seconds, to Moose Dupont, and he surpassed it with this goal.

1. Clarke at Boston -- Arguably the best goal call in Flyers history! Gene Hart. Without the goal, comes no Cup.

Good stuff!!

Any list that doesn’t have Clarke’s goal in game 2 of the 74 finals at #1 and Macleish’s goal in game 6 at #2 is an utter fraud!

You can start to argue after that, but those 2 are top 2, period, end of story. I also think Dornhoefer’s OT goal in game 5 vs Minnesota in 73 deserves at least an HM. Finally winning their first playoff series was huge and gave that team a ton of confidence going forward. Taking that 3-2 lead in the series was critical.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Also that 77 series vs TO was flat out war! The Flyers rally in game 4 is right up there with their game 7 rally vs Boston in 2010 except that the 77 rally was all done in the last 5 minutes!

The Flyers also had to beat the Leafs and the NHL officials. The refereeing during that series was biased beyond belief. The NHL’s blatant hatred for the Flyers from the mid 70s to the early 80s was visceral. We were despised!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Good stuff!!

Any list that doesn’t have Clarke’s goal in game 2 of the 74 finals at #1 and Macleish’s goal in game 6 at #2 is an utter fraud!

You can start to argue after that, but those 2 are top 2, period, end of story. I also think Dornhoefer’s OT goal in game 5 vs Minnesota in 73 deserves at least an HM. Finally winning their first playoff series was huge and gave that team a ton of confidence going forward. Taking that 3-2 lead in the series was critical.

I limited HM to one. But there were so many I could have added and this is an incomplete offering. Maybe I should do a Top 40 ala Casey Kasem. :sarcasm:
  • Leino at Buff 2011
  • Carcillo vs. NJD 2010
  • Delmore at Pitt 2000
  • Hextall at Wash, 1989
  • Craven vs. Wash 1988 (one of the greatest comebacks ever and then a fall off a cliff) One of the most famous photos in team history, two players kneeling celebrating the goal -- Craven/Tocchet.
  • Tocchet at Edm 1987 (Game 5... stunning comeback)
  • McCrimmon vs. Edm 1987 (His reaction was priceless...off the perfect feed from...Mellanby?)
  • Sinisalo vs. MTL 1987 (For once, something went the Flyers way... oh, that was a tantalizing few seconds).
  • Eklund vs. MTL 1987 (That speed!)
  • Leach at Vanc 1979 (Clarke's faceoff win... near OT and avoiding a possible 2-0 sweep to a bad Van team)
  • Clarke vs. NYI 1975 (one of controversy as to whether he kicked it in or not; Game 2 OT winner)

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I limited HM to one. But there were so many I could have added and this is an incomplete offering. Maybe I should do a Top 40 ala Casey Kasem. :sarcasm:
  • Leino at Buff 2011
  • Carcillo vs. NJD 2010
  • Delmore at Pitt 2000
  • Hextall at Wash, 1989
  • Craven vs. Wash 1988 (one of the greatest comebacks ever and then a fall off a cliff) One of the most famous photos in team history, two players kneeling celebrating the goal -- Craven/Tocchet.
  • Tocchet at Edm 1987 (Game 5... stunning comeback)
  • McCrimmon vs. Edm 1987 (His reaction was priceless...off the perfect feed from...Mellanby?)
  • Sinisalo vs. MTL 1987 (For once, something went the Flyers way... oh, that was a tantalizing few seconds).
  • Eklund vs. MTL 1987 (That speed!)
  • Leach at Vanc 1979 (Clarke's faceoff win... near OT and avoiding a possible 2-0 sweep to a bad Van team)
  • Clarke vs. NYI 1975 (one of controversy as to whether he kicked it in or not; Game 2 OT winner)
That game 2 vs Vancouver was another one of Bobby Clarke’s unbelievable games. There was simply no way he was going to allow the Flyers to lose that night

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Here’s a fun one: Build an all time 23 man Flyer’s roster to play a full 82 game season and playoffs. All players will be drawn from their time with the Flyers so you can’t use the 25 year old versions of Pronger or Jags.

Here’s mine with some explanations tossed in:

Fowards
Barber-Clarke-Kerr
I took Kerr over Leach because I think if you put Kerr with a center like Clarke in his prime, he’d be unstoppable. Plus I need Kerr for the pp

Leclair-Lindros-Voracek
I love Renberg, but his durability worries me. Jake has the size and strength to play the cycle game with rest of the line and his playmaking ability would mesh well with them too.

Giroux-Macleish-Tocchet
G would be the perfect playmaker to put on Hawk’s line and Tocchet gives them a forechecker with skill. Plus if someone on this team needs to get into a fight, I’d rather it be Tocchet in the box over Lindros

Poulin-Couturier-Recchi
Poulin and Coots along with Clarke/Barber would be my top PK pairs and Recchi adds pure offense to the line

Spares: Brind’amour & Roenick
As much as I hate leaving Brian Propp off my team, I want spare forwards that can play multiple positions. I took Poulin over Propp too for his leadership, work ethic and PK ability. Plus with Barber, Leclair & Giroux, I think I have plenty of offense on the left side.

On D:
Howe-McCrimmon
Pronger-Desjardins
The above gives me 2 legit top pairs. Plus I just can’t break up Howe and da Beast

Timonen-Dailey
Best 3rd pair ever!

spare D: Provorov
His durability is off the chart and with Pronger’s ability to play his off side, I’m not worried about carrying a 7th who only plays the left side.

GOAL
Parent (duh)
Lindbergh
I want a backup that will get along well with my starter. No 2 goalies were ever closer than Bernie & Pelle

PP Units
1: Clarke, Macleish, Kerr, Barber, Howe
2: Lindros, Leclair, Giroux, Pronger, Dailey

Oh, and my 3rd PK pair is Macleish/Giroux

Head coach: Fred Shero
Assistants: Pat Quinn & Peter Laviolette
I considered Keenan but felt his personality wouldn’t work well as an assistant
Goalie coach: Jacques Plante

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I think leaving Propp off a 23-man Flyers roster is just insanity.
I think insanity is a bit strong. Propp exclusively played LW during his career. Personally, I don’t think he was as good as Barber, Leclair or Giroux when you compare their best work as a Flyer. That only leaves the 4LW spot or a spare forward spot on the roster available for him. Poulin is the better PKer and fits the 4th line role a bit better. Brindamour and Roenick can each play center plus a wing so they are more useful as spares. I think Propp was a very good player, it’s just a matter of fit.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think insanity is a bit strong. Propp exclusively played LW during his career. Personally, I don’t think he was as good as Barber, Leclair or Giroux when you compare their best work as a Flyer. That only leaves the 4LW spot or a spare forward spot on the roster available for him. Poulin is the better PKer and fits the 4th line role a bit better. Brindamour and Roenick can each play center plus a wing so they are more useful as spares. I think Propp was a very good player, it’s just a matter of fit.

Propp is probably the 2nd-best winger in Flyers history. You'd really take 32-34 year-old Roenick over 97-point scoring Propp? That's pretty questionable imo.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Propp is probably the 2nd-best winger in Flyers history. You'd really take 32-34 year-old Roenick over 97-point scoring Propp? That's pretty questionable imo.
That’s fair. When it came to my spare forwards, I wanted guys that could play multiple positions but both Barber and Giroux could slide over and play the right side. So yeah, in retrospect, I’d replace Roenick with Propp.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Here’s a fun one: Build an all time 23 man Flyer’s roster to play a full 82 game season and playoffs. All players will be drawn from their time with the Flyers so you can’t use the 25 year old versions of Pronger or Jags.

Here’s mine with some explanations tossed in:

Fowards
Barber-Clarke-Kerr
I took Kerr over Leach because I think if you put Kerr with a center like Clarke in his prime, he’d be unstoppable. Plus I need Kerr for the pp

Leclair-Lindros-Voracek
I love Renberg, but his durability worries me. Jake has the size and strength to play the cycle game with rest of the line and his playmaking ability would mesh well with them too.

Giroux-Macleish-Tocchet
G would be the perfect playmaker to put on Hawk’s line and Tocchet gives them a forechecker with skill. Plus if someone on this team needs to get into a fight, I’d rather it be Tocchet in the box over Lindros

Poulin-Couturier-Recchi
Poulin and Coots along with Clarke/Barber would be my top PK pairs and Recchi adds pure offense to the line

Spares: Brind’amour & Roenick
As much as I hate leaving Brian Propp off my team, I want spare forwards that can play multiple positions. I took Poulin over Propp too for his leadership, work ethic and PK ability. Plus with Barber, Leclair & Giroux, I think I have plenty of offense on the left side.

On D:
Howe-McCrimmon
Pronger-Desjardins
The above gives me 2 legit top pairs. Plus I just can’t break up Howe and da Beast

Timonen-Dailey
Best 3rd pair ever!

spare D: Provorov
His durability is off the chart and with Pronger’s ability to play his off side, I’m not worried about carrying a 7th who only plays the left side.

GOAL
Parent (duh)
Lindbergh
I want a backup that will get along well with my starter. No 2 goalies were ever closer than Bernie & Pelle

PP Units
1: Clarke, Macleish, Kerr, Barber, Howe
2: Lindros, Leclair, Giroux, Pronger, Dailey

Oh, and my 3rd PK pair is Macleish/Giroux

Head coach: Fred Shero
Assistants: Pat Quinn & Peter Laviolette
I considered Keenan but felt his personality wouldn’t work well as an assistant
Goalie coach: Jacques Plante

It is lists such as these that lend to good conversation and pipe dreams. But two concerns: what rules are used and intangibles.

There are no guarantees players of various eras could be as successful under different rules. Top players make adjustments but also games were played and officiated differently. In addition, the training has changed immensely. Think of what Brind'Amour could have accomplished with Rick MacLeish if the two were similarly aligned.

As far as intangibles. in a sense you did that with Lindbergh and Keenan. MacLeish had much documented off-ice matters and Gary Dornhoefer has been cited often as the one individual who could properly mentor him. Sure, there are many leaders on the all-time best list but if we talk intangibles perhaps that shouldn't be overlooked. Lonsberry-MacLeish-Dornhoefer as a second line is just fine for what they accomplished.

Which brings us to Propp. He is on my list no matter what. Add him to the SH units with Barber, Clarke and Poulin in some rotation. I would not mess with Poulin-Propp.

Who knows if a strong personality like Roenick would be beneficial as a spare/healthy scratch. And if we are playing with rules of the past, I want Dave Brown as a spare... just to have him available in case an opponent gets out of hand.

Just another option: imagine a pairing of Chris Pronger and Jim Watson. Instantly one of the most intuitive combinations that can be paired.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
It is lists such as these that lend to good conversation and pipe dreams. But two concerns: what rules are used and intangibles.

There are no guarantees players of various eras could be as successful under different rules. Top players make adjustments but also games were played and officiated differently. In addition, the training has changed immensely. Think of what Brind'Amour could have accomplished with Rick MacLeish if the two were similarly aligned.

As far as intangibles. in a sense you did that with Lindbergh and Keenan. MacLeish had much documented off-ice matters and Gary Dornhoefer has been cited often as the one individual who could properly mentor him. Sure, there are many leaders on the all-time best list but if we talk intangibles perhaps that shouldn't be overlooked. Lonsberry-MacLeish-Dornhoefer as a second line is just fine for what they accomplished.

Which brings us to Propp. He is on my list no matter what. Add him to the SH units with Barber, Clarke and Poulin in some rotation. I would not mess with Poulin-Propp.

Who knows if a strong personality like Roenick would be beneficial as a spare/healthy scratch. And if we are playing with rules of the past, I want Dave Brown as a spare... just to have him available in case an opponent gets out of hand.

Just another option: imagine a pairing of Chris Pronger and Jim Watson. Instantly one of the most intuitive combinations that can be paired.
The main reason I stayed away from Jimmy Watson was his frequent injuries. Plus I think Desjardins brings much of the same intuitiveness plus more skill.

I think guys like Clarke and Poulin could keep Macleish in line, and in regards to Propp, perhaps I could move Giroux to Hawk’s right side instead of Tocchet and put Propp on the LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad