Top 10 skaters + stickhandlers you've seen

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
On top of those already mentioned, Mogilny and Semin were both pretty great. And I’m biased, but Gilmour :)
Gilmour was a great player, but not a top 10 all time with speed and puck skills. Part of his value was a as a great two way player with grit, sort of like an updated Keon.

Reactions: authentic

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Gilmour was a great player, but not a top 10 all time with speed and puck skills. Part of his value was a as a great two way player with grit, sort of like an updated Keon.
Yeah, hence the biased part :) But Mogilny, Selanne and Semin are all legit up there, in terms of guys that nobody else is mentioning.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Beliveau, Denis Savard, Datsuyk, Perrault, Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, McDavid, Makita, Crosby

HM - Malkin, Dionne, Lafleur, Bure, Kent Nilsson, Messier, P. Kane, ...probably a whole bunch I've forgotten. Oh, and McDavid wouldn't be #1. That would be Orr, possibly followed by Beliveau, who I never saw as a young man, when he still had great speed. 66 and 99 were giants, also. They controlled the game when the puck was on their stick.
Never saw the Rocket, nor a young Harvey(just with STL, maybe a bit in NY?). Going by people who saw them, they would be considered for this list.

Oh, and the Soviets were insane! Makarov, Lirianov...

I highly doubt even Orr would be better than McDavid in these categories even with todays technology, but still he's up there anyway and who knows maybe he would be, it's impossible to know for sure. Perrault is a good mention he reminds me most of McDavid actually with the way he skates and handles the puck.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
McDavid blows everyone away in this category easily and to pretend otherwise is just childish.
McDavid is the new Bure. These two are in a league of their own when putting the stickwork and skating abilities together, but the nature of Bure's much larger body of work puts him ahead, to me.

Bure played almost entirely in the dead puck era, scoring 51, 58, and 59 goals in three of those seasons. Factoring in older equipment, I'd say Pavel faced far greater challenges in putting his abilities to effect, and did it better. McJesus has a long, long ways to go to catch the Russian Rocket.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, hence the biased part :) But Mogilny, Selanne and Semin are all legit up there, in terms of guys that nobody else is mentioning.
Semin...c'mon! He's probably not a top 10 Soviet/Russian. Selanne I can see, but better than Lafleur, Dionne, Jagr, Malkin, Bure? No shame in being a top 50 or 100 player...we aren't even mentioning guys like Bobby Hull or the Big M, who had outstanding speed and the ability to dominate while carrying it. I just tend to think of those guys as power guys like Ovechkin, with big shots, whereas Datsuyk, Makita , Denis Savard were protypical dazzling puck handlers.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Semin...c'mon! He's probably not a top 10 Soviet/Russian. Selanne I can see, but better than Lafleur, Dionne, Jagr, Malkin, Bure? No shame in being a top 50 or 100 player...we aren't even mentioning guys like Bobby Hull or the Big M, who had outstanding speed and the ability to dominate while carrying it. I just tend to think of those guys as power guys like Ovechkin, with big shots, whereas Datsuyk, Makita , Denis Savard were protypical dazzling puck handlers.
Not saying he’s better than those guys, and also the thread is for top 10 players you’ve personally seen, not top 10 all time. Semin is in the discussion for top 10 I’ve personally seen in terms of pure skating and stick handling - guy had plenty of weaknesses, but his skill level was really outstanding in his prime.

Reactions: duga and authentic

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
McDavid has the craziest combo I've seen, he has high-end hands, but absolutely unreal skating. Bure and Patrick Kane would be shortly behind him.

Datsyuk was ridiculous. Barzal reminds me so
Much of him.

Datsyuk Top 3 All-time
Datsyuk was a pretty average skater. He might be the only guy I'd ever give an 80 out of 80 grade on the scouting scale for hands though. It really depends on the balance you are looking for.

Laine and maybe Bure as close second.
I hope this is a joke.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
McDavid has the craziest combo I've seen, he has high-end hands, but absolutely unreal skating. Bure and Patrick Kane would be shortly behind him.

Datsyuk was a pretty average skater. He might be the only guy I'd ever give an 80 out of 80 grade on the scouting scale for hands though. It really depends on the balance you are looking for.

I hope this is a joke.
No, it is not a joke at all.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No, it is not a joke at all.
Laine has good hands, but not uber elite ones, and he isn't a good skater. I don't know how he is anywhere close to the best of all-time. This isn't a discussion about his shot. If Laine had elite skating to go with elite hands along with his shot, he would be one of the best line-drivers in the league and capable of playing with anyone.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Laine has good hands, but not uber elite ones, and he isn't a good skater. I don't know how he is anywhere close to the best of all-time. This isn't a discussion about his shot. If Laine had elite skating to go with elite hands along with his shot, he would be one of the best line-drivers in the league and capable of playing with anyone.
Is it not obvious that is was sarcasm or do I need to use the ”:sarcasm::D

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
In order that they come to mind:

Wayne Gretzky

Mario Lemieux

Connor McDavid

Sergei Sansonov

David Pastranak

Paul Coffey

That’s who comes to mind off the top of my head. I’d put Bobby Orr on this list, too had I seen him play during his career.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
On suggestion from the history board, I've been watching a highlight-packed Pens-Red Wings game which took place in 1997 and had a couple of peak guys who got their mention in this thread, so let me do a little demo for you:

Here's Fedorov's first flight with the puck:

Nice one obviously. A better one followed during Pens' PP:

So you see, everything about Fedorov was smooooth. Both skating and stickhandling.

Now the the other way to do it (the mullet):

If you fast-forward to 8:22, you'll see Jagr turning Lidstrom inside out (to be fair, Nick hooked his way back into the play, but a good demo of what Jagr did to people at his best.)

Unlike with Fedorov, everything about Jagr was explosive. Even his hands were, except for that little soft touch at the very end which allowed him to make goalies go East-West).

Anyway, both combined skating and puck handling with plenty of finesse in their own way.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad