Top 10 players at each position at the end of the season

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
There's nothing wrong with putting any of those 10 wingers ahead of Draisaitl. He may not be carried by McDavid but you can't play with the best player in the world and not have your stats padded quite a bit.
Tavares, Stamkos, Point, Bergeron, Schiefele all have elite linemates. And Matthews belongs nowhere near the rest of the group, simply look at the stats

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Tavares, Stamkos, Point, Bergeron, Schiefele all have elite linemates. And Matthews belongs nowhere near the rest of the group, simply look at the stats
that's invalid. Draisaitl played wing and there's nothing wrong with that poster having the opinion that the those 10 wingers are better. As for Matthews, you said it yourself. All the rest of those centres have elite linemates. Who does Matthews have? Patrick f***in Marleau and "third liner" Kasperi Kapanen for majority of the season

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
that's invalid. Draisaitl played wing and there's nothing wrong with that poster having the opinion that the those 10 wingers are better. As for Matthews, you said it yourself. All the rest of those centres have elite linemates. Who does Matthews have? Patrick ****in Marleau and "third liner" Kasperi Kapanen for majority of the season
Alright, Matthews doesn't get a ton of support even though Kapanen/Nylander isn't that bad. He plays PP with some elite players, but that isn't an excuse for the bad defense this season, as well being a solid 25-40 points behind the rest of the players mentioned.

It's just biased to purposefully omit a guy who is 4th in the league in points, and 2nd in goals. And there is nothing wrong with calling that out.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Alright, Matthews doesn't get a ton of support even though Kapanen/Nylander isn't that bad. He plays PP with some elite players, but that isn't an excuse for the bad defense this season, as well being a solid 25-40 points behind the rest of the players mentioned.

It's just biased to purposefully omit a guy who is 4th in the league in points, and 2nd in goals. And there is nothing wrong with calling that out.
hahahaha. I've seen you on the Pesce to Leafs threads commenting on how Kapanen is a bottom 6 NHLer being carried by Matthews and how Nylander is a net negative and brings nothing to the table

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Not as much as if he has played with McDavid
But still some right. McDavid scores 1.32 points for every 1 Tavares scores.

So if we are taking off 20% from Draisaitl, we need to take off (20/1.32) 15% from Marner!

So 94 points x .85 (100-15%) is 80 points. So Marner is not even a PPG winger. And that with me ignoring that McDavid and Draisaitl spend less percentage of their ice time together than Tavares and Marner do, so honestly we should be subtracting even more off Marner's point total.

Am I doing this right?!?

The takeaway for you should be it's stupid to just blindly subtract point totals from any player because of their linemate because it's very subjective and impossible to quantify leaguewide. Even your initial figure of "McDavid adds 20%" is just a number you pulled out of your ass.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
hahahaha. I've seen you on the Pesce to Leafs threads commenting on how Kapanen is a bottom 6 NHLer being carried by Matthews and how Nylander is a net negative and brings nothing to the table
It's extremely obvious you're lying here. You just saw my name and assumed I was in the Pesce threads. I'm much more of an Oiler fan (ColoradoCanes is more from where I've lived than who I root for), and I was never arguing in the Pesce threads. I've gotten into it with some leaf fans, but not over that.

Also, you can never find me saying Nylander doesn't bring anything to the table. I've absolutely said I thought the contract was an overpayment on Dubas' part. But stop with the hyperbole, you're making your paper thin argument even weaker.

You're blindly talking out of your ass, and stop trying to play the victim card.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I know you explained your reasoning, but I really disagree with Draisaitl being rated among the centres. Put him sixth among wingers, put Scheifele at 9, and slide the other centres up.

Draisaitl often plays center for McDavid positionally.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
There's nothing wrong with putting any of those 10 wingers ahead of Draisaitl. He may not be carried by McDavid but you can't play with the best player in the world and not have your stats padded quite a bit.
The same goes for any other player who plays with excellent linemates.

The list placing Matthews as a top 5 center this season just further invalidated that particular opinion.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Gibson is your last HM for goaltending? Oookay.
Goalie is admittedly the most subjective position of the bunch, and Gibson has suffered because Anaheim has run him into the ground more then pretty much any other goalie in the NHL. Definitely, if you were to put him for a season on a team like Tampa or San Jose where he wouldn't get hung out to dry night-in and night-out until he breaks down from over use midway through the season, I imagine he would have had a much better season and be further up that list. However this list isn't about rating what-if seasons for players, it is about rating their actual performance.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Center

Mcdavid
Crosby
Mckinnon
Barkov
Tavares (gag)
Point
Giroux
Bergeron
Eichel
Stamkos

Left Wing

Gaudreau
Marchand
Ovechkin
Tkachuk (this will be interesting lol)
Landeskog
Panarin
Huberdeau
Pasternak
Lee

Right Wing

Kucherov
Kane
Stone
Rantanen
Wheeler
Marner (gag)
Mier
Radulov
Atkinson
Gallagher (lil guy has the biggest heart)

Defensemen

Giordano
Hedman
Josi
Chabot
Jones
Mcdonagh
Rielly
Yandle
Carlson
Trouba

Goalies

Lehner/Griess
Bishop
Vasilevski
Kuemper
Price
Rinne
Gibson
Murray
Dubnyk
Bob

C
Mcdavid
Crosby
Malkin
Barkov
Matthews
Sheifele
Bergeron
Tavares
Stamkos
Point

Winger
Kucherov
Kane
Ovechkin
Panarin
Marner
Gaudreau
Pastrnak
Wheeler
Marchand
Rantanen

Defence
Hedman
Doughty
Burns
Karlsson
Rielly
Pie
Giordano
Jones
Weber
Slavin

Goalie
Vasi
Gibson
Anderson
Price
Bob
Lehner
Raanta
Bishop
Flurry
Murray

It’s not in any real otder

Where did Draisaitl go? He finished 2nd in goals and 4th in points.

Reactions: BertMcDrai

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Center

Mcdavid
Crosby
Mckinnon
Barkov
Tavares (gag)
Point
Giroux
Bergeron
Eichel
Stamkos

Left Wing

Gaudreau
Marchand
Ovechkin
Tkachuk (this will be interesting lol)
Landeskog
Panarin
Huberdeau
Pasternak
Lee

Right Wing

Kucherov
Kane
Stone
Rantanen
Wheeler
Marner (gag)
Mier
Radulov
Atkinson
Gallagher (lil guy has the biggest heart)

Defensemen

Giordano
Hedman
Josi
Chabot
Jones
Mcdonagh
Rielly
Yandle
Carlson
Trouba

Goalies

Lehner/Griess
Bishop
Vasilevski
Kuemper
Price
Rinne
Gibson
Murray
Dubnyk
Bob
Where's Draisaitl?

Reactions: BertMcDrai

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I previously ranked the top 10 players in the NHL at the midway mark of the season in an article here: Top 10 players at each position at the mid-way mark

Now given that game 82 was played last night and the playoffs are still a few days away, it looks like the perfect time to re-rank all the players based on this season's body of work.

So it is the top 10 centres, wingers defencemen and goalies with 4 honourable mentions (and no more)

NOTE: this is going by their "listed positions" on NHL.com, not necessarily where they play the bulk of their ice-time.

Centre
1) McDavid
2) Crosby
3) MacKinnon
4) Barkov
5) Draisaitl
6) Bergeron
7) Stamkos
8) Tavares
9) Point
10) Matthews

HM: Eichel, Scheifele, Monahan, Giroux

Winger
1) Kucherov
2) P. Kane
3) Marchand
4) Gaudreau
5) Ovechkin
6) Pastrnak
7) Marner
8) Rantanen
9) Huberdeau
10) Panarin

HM: Wheeler, Landeskog, Kessel, Radulov

Defense
1) Giordano
2) Burns
3) Rielly
4) Letang
5) Josi
6) Carlson
7) Hedman
8) E. Karlsson
9) Chabot
10) Krug

HM: Suter, Doughty, Yandle, Jones

Goaltending
1) Vaslivskiy
2) Bishop
3) Lehner
4) Kuemper
5) Andersen
6) Price
7) Rinne
8) Greiss
9) Murray
10) Fleury

HM: Bobrovski, Binnnington, Dubnyk, Gibson

NOTE: Goalie seems especially subjective given the need to strike a balance when weighing being a work-horse vs raw sv% and GAA over a more limited amount of games started (and thus a fresher, more rested goalie).

Rookies
1) Petterson
2) Dahlin
3) B. Tkachuck
4) Heiskanen

NOTE: for the top-4 rookies I just looked at teenagers. Rookies in their 20s are much more physically developed so comparing them is apples to oranges.

So what do you guys think? What are your own 2018-2019 season top-10 lists? If someone raises a convincing argument, I am totally willing to modify my lists; I admit, I don't regularly watch all 31 teams, so I might have missed something here having just relied on the paper stats for a bunch of these guys. Just remember, if you want to move someone up into the top-10, you also have to say who you would move out to make room for him.

NOTE: After feedback, I will make any changes in an edit and highlight how those changes affected the overall rankings of all guys in the top-10 (+ or - from original position).
If you’re evaluating draisatl as a center, he’s not top 10.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Aho instead of Matthews and the center listing seems just about right
Aho's offensive production rate (30 goals, 83 points in 82 games) is significantly below Matthews (37 goals, 73 points in 68 games) and all the other centres on the top-10 list, nor does he come with the reputation of being a Selke caliber two way centre like Bergeron or Barkov. I did consider him strongly for the HM list however.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Among the group of players listed as "Centres" on NHL.com it would be hard to argue that he has not performed among the ten best this season.
Yeah but he did it as a winger... I get that he’s listed as a center, but when he plays center, he’s not top 10. I get the reasoning, but I still don’t like it.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I know you explained your reasoning, but I really disagree with Draisaitl being rated among the centres. Put him sixth among wingers, put Scheifele at 9, and slide the other centres up.
This... I agree he is a top 10 winger but he is NOT and never will be a top 5 center

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad