Top 10 Oilers moments of the year?

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
Good afternoon all, just thought it would be pretty neat to do a little "Year in Review". Feel free to comment or even make your own!

10: Dec 2
Tobias Reider scores two shorthanded goals on the same PK, bringing the losing streak to ten games. Meanwhile, Kale Kessy punches some dude in the face a bunch of times, probably.

9: Sep 30
Oilers forget to read the rulebook regarding their diamond-in-the-rough training camp invite Vladimir Tkachev, and he walks, likely to get drafted by one of the other 29 teams.

8: Dec 16
Eakins exit interview: "Craig's on it. I have to be nice because I want a job next year."

7: June 29
Sam Gagner is traded for another winger, who brings plenty of size and not much else.

6: June 25
MacT signs Russian Olympian Nikita Nikitin to a contract in excess of NHL scoring leader Jakub Voracek's.

5: Nov 25
This beauty:

4: June 24
Hall is snubbed once again in being named to an NHL All-Star team as a left wing, losing to San Jose third-line centre Joe Pavelski.

3: March 22
A new municipal pastime is discovered by Edmontonians:

2: January 1-December 15
Eakins tears down Nail Yakupov to build him up again into a solid two-way warrior, forgets second part.

1: Dec 31
1987 Stanley Cup hero Kevin Lowe plans captain mankind's first journey to the sun with only one guest: a feral chimpanzee. Unfortunately, he is relieved of his duties in the process, as his POHOing duties require him to be on a terrestrial surface.

Honorable mentions:
Justin Schultz almost completes the 720, rivaling Tony Hawk's legendary 900 at X-Games '99:

Brad Hunt

The hair of Katz Jr.

Bryzgalov walks, performs impressively in the playoffs

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Translation = I'm a very bitter and full of regret and can't move on from things that happen in the past.

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

I'll translate yours then, fair is fair.

Everyting is all right and fine, things are looking up be just have to be patient, whats past is past, onwards and upwards, half the teams in this league would swap rosters with us, we have a mangement dream team.

Is that about right?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

I'll translate yours then, fair is fair.

Everyting is all right and fine, things are looking up be just have to be patient, whats past is past, onwards and upwards, half the teams in this league would swap rosters with us, we have a mangement dream team.

Is that about right?

LOL buddy that is awesome!! If only I was that delusional XD unfortunately I'm running out of ***** to give to this team. My mind set now is **** it and move on and try to get past this valley of the shadow of death.

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
LOL buddy that is awesome!! If only I was that delusional XD unfortunately I'm running out of ***** to give to this team. My mind set now is **** it and move on and try to get past this valley of the shadow of death.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

- George Santayana (16 December 1863 - 26 September 1952)

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

- George Santayana (16 December 1863 - 26 September 1952)

"Let go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing
you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is
not yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing
which keeps you from hope and love?"

Leo Buscaglia

"Hanging onto resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head."

-Ann Landers

"People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar."

- Thich Nhat Hanh

Jul 19, 2012
"Let go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing
you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is
not yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing
which keeps you from hope and love?"

Leo Buscaglia

"Hanging onto resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head."

-Ann Landers

"People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar."

- Thich Nhat Hanh

"We're going streaking!!!!!"
- Frank the Tank

Oct 15, 2008
tumblr_li7fdanCrV1qdhe2ho1_400.jpg

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
"We're going streaking!!!!!"
- Frank the Tank

"Sometimes people ask, 'Are hockey fights real?' I say, 'If they weren’t, I’d get in more of them.'"

- Wayne Gretzky

"I'm just glad it wasn't Machete Night."

-Former Rangers goalie Bob Froese after fans at Madison Square Garden threw mugs on the ice on 'Mug Night.'

"I will personally challenge anyone who wants to get rid of fighting to a fight."

-Leafs GM Brian Burke on the possible elimination of fighting from the NHL.

"I didn’t hear him because my two Stanley Cup rings were plugging my ears.â€

-Goalie Patrick Roy after a war of words with Jeremy Roenick.

"The playoffs separate the men from the boys, and we found out we have a lot of boys in our dressing room.â€

-Former Rangers GM Neil Smith after his team was eliminated from the playoffs.

"All hockey players are bilingual; they speak English and profanity."

-Gordie Howe

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
"Sometimes people ask, 'Are hockey fights real?' I say, 'If they weren’t, I’d get in more of them.'"

- Wayne Gretzky

"I'm just glad it wasn't Machete Night."

-Former Rangers goalie Bob Froese after fans at Madison Square Garden threw mugs on the ice on 'Mug Night.'

"I will personally challenge anyone who wants to get rid of fighting to a fight."

-Leafs GM Brian Burke on the possible elimination of fighting from the NHL.

"I didn’t hear him because my two Stanley Cup rings were plugging my ears.â€

-Goalie Patrick Roy after a war of words with Jeremy Roenick.

"The playoffs separate the men from the boys, and we found out we have a lot of boys in our dressing room.â€

-Former Rangers GM Neil Smith after his team was eliminated from the playoffs.

"All hockey players are bilingual; they speak English and profanity."

-Gordie Howe

"'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky'" - Michael Scott

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
"I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds."

- Sean Avery

Ergot

Pinko
Oct 4, 2014
GVA
@ beaterson

Assuming this is a top 10 of brutal moments, I'd also include the game vs. Vancouver back in November when they play shorthanded for over thirty seconds with no reason:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Fans are allowed to be bitter and pissed off with this clown show. I don't understand a mindset that thinks otherwise.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Fans are allowed to be bitter and pissed off with this clown show. I don't understand a mindset that thinks otherwise.

Fans are free to feel whatever they want. Though bitter and pissed off seems to be the dominant emotions on these boards, I was just throwing out an alternative. I'm not letting this team dominate my emotional well-being.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Fans are free to feel whatever they want. Though bitter and pissed off seems to be the dominant emotions on these boards, I was just throwing out an alternative. I'm not letting this team dominate my emotional well-being.

You didn't provide an alternative. Not one part of your post was positive, genial, or upbeat. You just admonished him for being bitter.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
PHP:
You didn't provide an alternative. Not one part of your post was positive, genial, or upbeat. You just admonished him for being bitter.

Yeah your right, admonishing him to hide my own bitterness, and I accept that and moving on. I apologize beaterson for detracking your thread. Thanks Puritania, lets have a beer some time.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
PHP:

Yeah your right, admonishing him to hide my own bitterness, and I accept that and moving on. I apologize beaterson for detracking your thread. Thanks Puritania, lets have a beer some time.

Eh, no worries man, I won't get on your case if you want to be upbeat, I just hate having to defend the position of being upset with the team. Maybe It's not necessary any more, the usual suspects who crap on fans for being pessimistic have mysteriously disappeared. :laugh:

I'm down for a beer any time! :cheers:

Jul 19, 2012
"Craigs on it"

Dallas Eakins on final words of wisdom before he walked the plank.

"Visually this team is much better than its record indicates"

MacTavish at his annual panic button press conference 10 days earlier swearing he wouldn't make his coach walk the plank.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
The truly saddest part is that the actual 10 best moments of the year for the Oilers all took place in the offseason. :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad