Top 10 Most Dominant Junior Players Who Could Not Adjust to the Pro Game

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Those are decent examples, but I'm talking about like 3 points in a full season.

Maybe what I saw was a mistake in hockeydb that has since been fixed.

If it's not Derek Schutz (22-34-56 to 5-12-17 to 32-44-76), I'm inclined to say that this whole thing is made up.;)

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Robert (not Ronald) Petrovický was ranked high as a prospect. Couldnt translate it to NHL.

Do you remember a player from Kosice, who was bigger talent than Jagr around 1988? Then came alcohol and gambling and he was done, but at the time he has higher ceiling than Jagr.
Cant remember his name. P... or something.

Vlastimil Plavucha? :D No, i cant remember. Im not such old. I follow hockey regularly maybe from year 1994 (You know, Olympics in Lillehamer).

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Vlastimil Plavucha? :D No, i cant remember. Im not such old. I follow hockey regularly maybe from year 1994 (You know, Olympics in Lillehamer).
I got it!
Peter Pindar - in CSSR national team U18 often compared to Jagr and some claimed he was better back than, played in one line with Peter Bondra. He smoothly left high end hockey and startet to drunk and gambled.
That's everything what I found about him:
Stats: http://www.eurohockey.net/players/show_player.cgi?serial=66722
Interview: http://korzar.sme.sk/c/4644456/peter-pindar-sa-snazi-zabudnut-na-ciernu-minulost.html

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Those are decent examples, but I'm talking about like 3 points in a full season.

Maybe what I saw was a mistake in hockeydb that has since been fixed.

Alex Plante is not that far off anyway.

2006-07: 58 GP 8 G 30 A 38 PTS
2007-08: 36 GP 1 G 1 A 2 PTS

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
(and, you're the left winger. The Jon Stewart of hockey historysis)

No, the Jon Stewart of HOH would mostly quote a bunch of really terrible posts, follow them with :help: or :shakehead or :sarcasm: or maybe even :sarcasm:, deliver a snappy one liner and then send things over to Killion for a much more surreal segment.

I prefer to think of Iain as HOH's Zizek.

• Haha
Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

shai04

Jun 18, 2011
St. Albert
Alexandre "No one remembers who went number two" Diagle.

First overall in 92/93 coming off a ridiculous season in the QMJHL. The ultimate bust. The Senators were even investigated for throwing games late in the '92 season by the NHL as they tried to secure last place in the standings. The whole episode led to the creation of the NHL lottery system.

Generational talent, who did not even like playing hockey as he admitted later in an interview.

Sadly for Senators fans, everyone remembers who went #2 to Hartford, Chris Pronger. Even worse, Paul Kariya went 4th.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
No, the Jon Stewart of HOH would mostly quote a bunch of really terrible posts, follow them with :help: or :shakehead or :sarcasm: or maybe even :sarcasm:, deliver a snappy one liner and then send things over to Killion for a much more surreal segment.

I prefer to think of Iain as HOH's Zizek.

iain's married to an argentinian supermodel?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I got it!
Peter Pindar - in CSSR national team U18 often compared to Jagr and some claimed he was better back than, played in one line with Peter Bondra. He smoothly left high end hockey and startet to drunk and gambled.
Interview: http://korzar.sme.sk/c/4644456/peter-pindar-sa-snazi-zabudnut-na-ciernu-minulost.html

in the interview he said, that Jagr has him in one of his books. Do you know more?

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
I got it!
I remember that name. Just looking at his numbers, he didn't come close to approaching Jagr's level, statistically. He's actually a month older than Jagr. Jagr in 89/90 (age 17/18) was well over a point per game in the Extraliga; Pindar still wasn't doing that three years later. Never did it, in fact.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
From Ralph Slate of hockeydb:

If the stats were from the 1970's, it is possible they have been
corrected. The OHL had a nasty habit of listing only the second team of
a player who had been traded, so it's conceivable that someone might
have been a point-per-game player one year, traded the next year, and
only his stats with the second team were shown. I don't have a breakdown
as to when I made corrections, or even if they were made.

….With the QMJHL, I recall unmixing up some players with identical names
over the years, perhaps you came across one of those.

false alarm, I think. This player doesn't exist.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
One of my all-time favorite delusional HFBoards posters was this one guy who insisted for YEARS that Simon Gamache was the best player in the 2000 draft, and also that he'd be easily better than the Sedins if some team "gave him a chance".

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
One of my all-time favorite delusional HFBoards posters was this one guy who insisted for YEARS that Simon Gamache was the best player in the 2000 draft, and also that he'd be easily better than the Sedins if some team "gave him a chance".

Yanic Perreault, Rob Schremp and Linus Omark and a dozen other players who put up big numbers in their last year of junior. Robert Nilsson apparently had more pts than Peter Forsberg did at the same age.

They seem to attract a passionate cult following that latches on to the fact that "they only need a chance" - even though coaches and GMs point out severe flaws in their game, real weaknesses and don't play them. There's always the NHL examples of "he could be the next M.St.Louis!" or Steve Thomas or Adam Oates.

As an Isles fan, I hear that every time there's a former first round pick who's placed on waivers. There's the immediate "we should grab him to play with Tavares"

false alarm, I think. This player doesn't exist.

well, it was a perfect ask, for September during a potential lock-out.

You're still buying beer.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Yanic Perreault, Rob Schremp and Linus Omark and a dozen other players who put up big numbers in their last year of junior. Robert Nilsson apparently had more pts than Peter Forsberg did at the same age.

It always amazes me how often Perreault, with 15 NHL seasons, over half a PPG, and a not-really-deserving-but-still-mentionable All-Star Game appearance well into is 30s under his belt, is either labelled a failure, a fringe player, or listed along with other players who are both of those things.

Perreault pretty much fulfilled everything you'd want out of a small, slow and unphysical player with good junior numbers.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It always amazes me how often Perreault, with 15 NHL seasons, over half a PPG, and a not-really-deserving-but-still-mentionable All-Star Game appearance well into is 30s under his belt, is either labelled a failure, a fringe player, or listed along with other players who are both of those things.

Perreault pretty much fulfilled everything you'd want out of a small, slow and unphysical player with good junior numbers.

Indeed he did. the faceoff excellence (which is not something you'd expect from that type of player) was a huge bonus on top of that.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Yanic Perreault, Rob Schremp and Linus Omark and a dozen other players who put up big numbers in their last year of junior.
It's definitely true that big numbers at 19 years old in junior are to be taken with big grains of salt. Perreault, however, also put up good numbers at age 17 and 18, and Schremp less so. They're not Eric Tangradi or anything.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

I really liked perreault as a player and I should not have had him on this list at all. mistake.

he scored 187 pts in junior and leaf fans had unrealistic expectations, especially offensively, since.

he definitely became a pretty good hockey player, reinventing himself over a pretty long career, with several different teams and roles.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
... there are a ton of em;

Cam Connor
Jesse Niinimaki
Michael Henrich
Rico Fata
Alex Stojanov
Rock Trottier
Ryan Sittler
Alex Volchkov
Jason Bonsignore
Scott Scissons
Daniel Dore

Jesse Niinimaki never played junior hockey in NA--he was a european who got drafted due to a 6 games streatch were nearly everyone was watching in his draft year and that lead to being taken in the first round. Niinimaki did not dominate at any level

Michael Henrich is a guy that people thought would make a good transition--but he was on a colts team filled with guys who just could not take it to the next level Daniel Tkaczuk being the big one

Rocky Trottier got drafted, like Sittler based more upon his last name, than actual talent he had

Ryan Sittler got drafted high based upon his name and a few good games. Most people had him as late second round pick--why the flyers took him int he first is unknown

Alexandre Volchkov--yet another colts player--in his case the problem was he had a two cent head that could not stay on straight and he had no heart

Like Volchkov Bonsignore was a guy who people knew would either be a world beater or he would be bad. i remember at the draft the different talking heads were talking about his raw talent that often left him when he was bored--which happened alot. They alos questioned his toughness--also Bosnignore never played a full season in Junior so scouts only saw him in drips and drabs and the warning signs were there because he kept getting traded in junior due to "attitude problems" according to one of his former coaches. With Bonsignore there was going to be no middle ground and there wasn't

Daniel Dore is the prime example of why I grade the QMJHL so low when it comes to developing talen. His numbers look good, until you look more at the numbers of other players. The Q in the 80's and 90's broker the heart of many teams fan base because on the surface they looked great--but once they played against the other junior leagues and european leagues they were minnows playing against sharks

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Daniel Dore is the prime example of why I grade the QMJHL so low when it comes to developing talen. His numbers look good, until you look more at the numbers of other players. The Q in the 80's and 90's broker the heart of many teams fan base because on the surface they looked great--but once they played against the other junior leagues and european leagues they were minnows playing against sharks
Didn't Dore barely have a point per game in his draft year? In the Q in the late 80s that was just terribly mundane. Which is to say, his numbers don't actually look good, so long as you know what you're looking at.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
... if true, he has my sympathies. Wife #3. Couldve bought the management contracts to run the Panama Canal with what that cost me to get out of.

Is there any truth to the rumor that she was more "Brazilian" than Argentinian?
Or perhaps that investigation was incomplete:p:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Indeed he did. the faceoff excellence (which is not something you'd expect from that type of player) was a huge bonus on top of that.

This is all true but perhaps his style might have produced better results in the 70's or 80's? Who knows.

Perrault also didn't dominate until his final year and the league had a weak cast among its scoring leaders that year.

In his other 2 seasons he put up "big numbers" but they look bigger than they really are as scoring was still up in the Q

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad