Top 10 Hockey Leagues in the World

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'm particularly curious to see where people think AHL or NCAA ranks on a list like this.

Just rankings based off of overall quality.

1. NHL
2. KHL
3. AHL
4. SHL

Then after that I would be completely guessing

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
1. NHL
2. KHL
3. SHL (Sweden)
4. Liiga (Finland)
5. NLA (Switzerland)
6. AHL
7. Extraliga (Czechia)
8. DEL (Germany)
9. Allsvenskan (Sweden)
10. EBEL (Austria)

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Uh, CHL is not above most pro leagues...

I see it as the quality of players the CHL and NCAA produce compared to other pro leagues. Most of the other pro leagues cant consistently produce talent like the CHL or NCAA does.
You said quality of the League. That depends on what you mean. If its quality as in competitiveness, then sure I'd rank those above the CHL or NCAA, but if it's as a whole I'd rate the CHL and as of recently the NCAA above those pro leagues.

Edit: If it's in competition then yea its probably not as good as those pro leagues
NHL
KHL
AHL
SHL
Liiga
NLA
Extraliga
Allsvenskan
DEL

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
1. NHL
2. KHL
3. AHL
4. SHL (Sweden)
5. Liiga (Finland)
6. NLA (Switzerland)
7. VHL (Russia, tier 2)
8. ECHL
9. Extraliga (Germany)
10. Allsvenskan (Sweden, tier 2)

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
I see it as the quality of players the CHL and NCAA produce compared to other pro leagues. Most of the other pro leagues cant consistently produce talent like the CHL or NCAA does.
You said quality of the League. That depends on what you mean. If its quality as in competitiveness, then sure I'd rank those above the CHL or NCAA, but if it's as a whole I'd rate the CHL and as of recently the NCAA above those pro leagues.

Edit: If it's in competition then yea its probably not as good as those pro leagues
NHL
KHL
AHL
SHL
Liiga
NLA
Extraliga
Allsvenskan
DEL

Ofcourse the pro leagues dont produce NHL players. Pro leagues are where NHL aged players play if they weren't quite good enough to make the NHL. A lot of NCAA and CHL players end up playing in the other pro leagues if they cant make the NHL.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

NHL
KHL
AHL
SHL
Liiga
NLA
Extraliga
Allsvenskan
DEL

Just meant overall quality of the players/teams, not necessarily development, entertainment, etc. As in, if the average team of X league played average team of X league, who would win?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
SHL vs AHL is an interesting debate

I lean towards SHL on this one.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Nhl then if you are not first, you are last.

Picking the khl as #2 belies the HUGE difference between the two leagues.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
10. EBEL (Austria)
:laugh: The ECHL would eat them up!

Guys like this have played in the ECHL:

Alex Burrows
Cory Conacher
Michael Ryder
Rich Peverley
David Desharnais
Derek Boogaard
Ruslan Fedotenko
Andrew Brunette
Dan Girardi
Mark Streit
Francois Beauchemin
Deryk Engelland
Joe Corvo
Jonathan Quick
Braden Holtby
Jaroslav Halak
Tim Thomas
Tomas Vokoun
Manny Legace
Martin Biron

Last edited:

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
1. Nhl
2. KHL
3. SHL
4. AHL
5. SM Liiga
6. Czech extraliga
7. NLA
8. DEL
9. NCAA
10. Tie between ECHL and Allsvenskan

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
NHL
KHL
SHL
AHL
SM-Liiga
Czech Extraliga
NLA
DEL
EBEL
ECHL
EIHL
Allsvenskan

A little more than 10 in that list.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
1. NHL
2. KHL
3. AHL
4. SHL (Sweden)
5. Liiga (Finland)
6. NLA (Switzerland)
7. VHL (Russia, tier 2)
8. ECHL
9. Extraliga (Germany)
10. Allsvenskan (Sweden, tier 2)

This one actually looks pretty good! Although your 9th spot is fishy (Extraliga is Czech not Germany, and I'd actually put it behind the DEL).

And for all those posters mentioning American college hockey:
The NCAA isn't really even a league in the traditional sense, but rather an association of various leagues (conferences, and divisions), who's level of play varies substantially.
The top programs of strong conferences are very, very good hockey teams, but on average, I'd say the CHL (itself also not really a league!), are easily better (that despite having younger players).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad