Top 10 Art Ross Contenders 2018-19 - #5

Art Ross

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is tough because there are guys on the list who have a more proven track record (Kane, Giroux), there are guys on the list who have the potential to do it if last season wasn't just a one-off (MacKinnon, Hall, Barzal), and there are guys on the list who have the right situations to do it because of elite linemates (Kuznetsov).

I think I'll opt for Kane since he's the only one on the list with an actual Art Ross to his credit. Ovechkin doesn't count because he doesn't get nearly enough assists these days to do it.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Tbh I don't think there are any other contenders after those 4

The guy who was in 2nd and 4 points out of it last year isn't a contender? Giroux has proven he can keep up with those guys and his supporting cast is still young and improving.

The next 3 should be some order of Giroux, MacKinnon and Kane.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The guy who was in 2nd and 4 points out of it last year isn't a contender? Giroux has proven he can keep up with those guys and his supporting cast is still young and improving.

The next 3 should be some order of Giroux, MacKinnon and Kane.
Giroux is too inconsistent. Had 102 points last year but 58, 67, and 73 the 3 years prior. It's unlikely he repeats last season let alone win the art ross.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Mackinnon and Hall next for me

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Giroux is too inconsistent. Had 102 points last year but 58, 67, and 73 the 3 years prior. It's unlikely he repeats last season let alone win the art ross.

We're talking about a single season, what does consistency matter? It might make it less likely, but Giroux is one of the few players whose proven he can put up the point totals necessary.

Anyone who can put up 102 points in 17-18 should be considered a contender for the 18-19 Art Ross. There's only been 36 100+ point seasons total since 2000-01 and the only active guys who have done it besides Giroux are McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Thornton and Ovechkin. Thornton and Ovechkin aren't putting up those kinds of points anymore. It's really not that unrealistic to consider Giroux a top 5 contender.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
We're talking about a single season, what does consistency matter? It might make it less likely, but Giroux is one of the few players whose proven he can put up the point totals necessary.

Anyone who can put up 102 points in 17-18 should be considered a contender for the 18-19 Art Ross. There's only been 36 100+ point seasons total since 2000-01 and the only active guys who have done it besides Giroux are McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Thornton and Ovechkin. Thornton and Ovechkin aren't putting up those kinds of points anymore. It's really not that unrealistic to consider Giroux a top 5 contender.
I'm referring to his other recent seasons to show it's unlikely he repeats 102 points.

Also Backstrom, Kucherov, and Staal have hit 100+ points too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad