Tootoo is our new Clarkson!

GhostofKenKlee

What a great story he is. He is fighting an alcohol issue and a fall from grace and now fighting for another deal and year in the NHL. How many NJ Devils or hockey players are subjects of break songs other than Mike Peluso (You outta know by Alanis) and TooToo (Kellie Pickler).

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Weeks ago everyone hates on him, now he's our new Clarkson. The guy is a feel good story but if they do resign him for anything longer than two years people will lose their minds again. I do however really like what he brings to the team and his success is wildly surprising.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Trade his ass while his value his at an all-time high. Knowing Lou, he'll give him $10M for 3 years or something stupid like that.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
No... The reason Clarkson is sooo meh is because we have alot of Clarkson's

Ruutu/Bernier/Tootoo all can basically do the exact same thing Clarkson does

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
No... The reason Clarkson is sooo meh is because we have alot of Clarkson's

Ruutu/Bernier/Tootoo all can basically do the exact same thing Clarkson does

LOL No wonder we can't skate or score. We have a team full of Clarksons.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
To be honest, I was pretty unexcited about Tootoo coming here, but I have to admit that he's been one of the Devils better fourth-line, tough guy signings. He's producing (and he's got some nice chemistry with Cammy) and he seems to appreciate the chance he's been given in New Jersey. I wouldn't cry if he was traded, but I also wouldn't be upset if he was re-signed at a reasonable rate for a sensible term. He's earned my respect in his time here this year. The problem is that this team has too many third and fourth liners and not enough first and second liners, but that doesn't mean we have to get rid of all our third and fourth liners, so I wouldn't complain if Tootoo was one of those who stuck around. He's good at his NHL job even if it isn't a particularly glamorous role. However, if he wants Clarkson contract (in current form) good-bye to Tootoo. To end on a positive note, Tootoo is a Devil who increased my opinion of him this season, so go, Tootoo:handclap:

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
His chemistry with Cammy is the most surprising thing of the last few weeks. I can't believe what he's been doing on that line.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To be honest, I was pretty unexcited about Tootoo coming here, but I have to admit that he's been one of the Devils better fourth-line, tough guy signings. He's producing (and he's got some nice chemistry with Cammy) and he seems to appreciate the chance he's been given in New Jersey. I wouldn't cry if he was traded, but I also wouldn't be upset if he was re-signed at a reasonable rate for a sensible term. He's earned my respect in his time here this year. The problem is that this team has too many third and fourth liners and not enough first and second liners, but that doesn't mean we have to get rid of all our third and fourth liners, so I wouldn't complain if Tootoo was one of those who stuck around. He's good at his NHL job even if it isn't a particularly glamorous role. However, if he wants Clarkson contract (in current form) good-bye to Tootoo. To end on a positive note, Tootoo is a Devil who increased my opinion of him this season, so go, Tootoo:handclap:

I just love the fact that Bernier and Tootoo can step into top 6 minutes and produce if needed. That is great flexibility to have, hopefully both are back next year.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I just love the fact that Bernier and Tootoo can step into top 6 minutes and produce if needed. That is great flexibility to have, hopefully both are back next year.

Bernier is another player who has impressed me this season. He's really done much better this year than last. If we had better first/second line options normally, Tootoo and Bernier would give this team some nice depth and be good options to fill in for injuries. That's the main issue Lou needs to address: the lack of decent first/second liners. If we had those, I think this team would be very competitive, because everything else is pretty much in place.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Not to knock Tootoo but it's kind of sad that this is one of a very few silver linings this team has.

The thing that stands out instantly to me is not really Tootoo's play of late, it's the abysmal lack of speed this team has in the top 6. You put a speedy winger like him or Gio in and the whole pace of the game changes. Watching slugs like Zajac, Zubrus, Jagr, Ryder and Clowe lumber up and down like they are skating through The Great Tarpits of Newark is just awful.

Yes those last three guys are pretty much gone but my point is we need speed.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Not to knock Tootoo but it's kind of sad that this is one of a very few silver linings this team has.

The thing that stands out instantly to me is not really Tootoo's play of late, it's the abysmal lack of speed this team has in the top 6. You put a speedy winger like him or Gio in and the whole pace of the game changes. Watching slugs like Zajac, Zubrus, Jagr, Ryder and Clowe lumber up and down like they are skating through The Great Tarpits of Newark is just awful.

Yes those last three guys are pretty much gone but my point is we need speed.

Overall team speed is definitely an issue with the Devils. You'll get no debate from me on that point.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
I'd give Toots something like two years, $900k per. I'd love to keep him on this team for a couple more years for energy and what he brings to the group. Hearing guys like Camm and Cory talk about his leadership and locker room value is encouraging.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'd give Toots something like two years, $900k per. I'd love to keep him on this team for a couple more years for energy and what he brings to the group. Hearing guys like Camm and Cory talk about his leadership and locker room value is encouraging.

Tootoo does seem to be a good locker room guy. That's another nice attribute that he brings.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Personally I have grown to like Tootoo a good bit. He does remind me of Clarkson in that he plays every shift like its his last (in his case it may very well have been until recently). He's got heart and he doesn't fall down like Clarky. If we keep him and sign him to something like a 1-2 year deal at $750-900k then I think it's a good deal. Like others have said, he's not a top line guy but he can jump up and fill in well enough without looking too out of place. That being said, if we trade him and get something of any sort of value, I say do it. We can always re-sign him in the offseason anyway.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
you'd get more for tootoo than ruutu. ruutu has too big of a contract.

Love Tootoo's effort level though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad