too many whl'ers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlowry_19

Oct 17, 2004
in my opinion there are too many whl players invited to the world junior camp, i imagine this is just because sutter is the coach, but how well will a team who will probably be 4/5 whl gel? will they work as a team or will they think that they shouldn't help there team out and play as individuals?

Avery4Byng*

They take the best players available. They just happen to be from the WHL.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
jlowry_19 said:
in my opinion there are too many whl players invited to the world junior camp, i imagine this is just because sutter is the coach, but how well will a team who will probably be 4/5 whl gel? will they work as a team or will they think that they shouldn't help there team out and play as individuals?

If anything, a team predominantly form the same league would be able to gel better than a team that comes from three different leagues and three different styles of play.

Look at the WHL/Russia Selects series and that will show how a WHL team plays.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
As said in the other thread. If the coach was coaching an Eastern team, and saw players from that side more we'd have more from the East and less from the West. Sutter isn't familiar with those players, and is more familiar with the Western teams.

Most of the talent is in the WHL right now, and it appears only a few players invited are questionable, but that's life.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
markov` said:
This statement is sooooooooo false... See the other thread.

While that statement is not entirely true, it's not always "the best players" who will win.

Talent wise, is Morrison not better than Draper? Rick Nash over Ryan Smyth? Kariya over Doan? Lots has to do with chemistry, and what the coaching staff is aiming for in for Team Canada in this tournament. Needless to say, they're going for a super-hard hitting group with lots of grit.

Nobody can deny that the QMJHL wouldn't have a heck of a lot more bruises if they went head to head with WHL all-stars.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Brule said:
Nobody can deny that the QMJHL wouldn't have a heck of a lot more bruises if they went head to head with WHL all-stars.

You're right.. they wouldn't. But a lot of dub fans would deny it anyway. :D

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Brule said:
While that statement is not entirely true, it's not always "the best players" who will win.

Talent wise, is Morrison not better than Draper? Rick Nash over Ryan Smyth? Kariya over Doan? Lots has to do with chemistry, and what the coaching staff is aiming for in for Team Canada in this tournament. Needless to say, they're going for a super-hard hitting group with lots of grit.

:lol :lol:

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My only real issue was with the goaltending. I understand Sutter will go with what he knows but I felt that one of, if not both, Munce and Shantz would be at the camp. Neither did anything to hurt their standing during the Russia series. Nastiuk was not a surprise, or Glass with his numbers. The other two I felt could be replaced.

The defence is as expected. My only hope is that Danny Syvret makes it, I think he deserves to be there provided he plays well at camp.

Up front, I have a few issues with some players, but overall not too far from what I expected.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Brule said:

I'm a Q fan... And I soooooooo totaly agree with you.... Right now only 3 or 4 players in the Q deserves to be there... Just hopes Picard can make it with all, the talent on the teams defense

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Brule said:

While the overall league may not be as strong at the moment, but figuratively or literally, that shouldn't be held against guys like Steve Bernier, who is big, who is strong, who does love to throw his weight around. The same goes for Picard (forward). Picard's a carbon copy of Ryan Smyth, who everybody loves, but of course, Picard's from the Q. I don't think there are really any other players aside from Bernier and Picard who should have been invited to camp, from the Q, because Pouliot isn't as well rounded as the two. But those two guys, as many have stated in the other thread, are simply superior players to several guys on the invited list, such as McArthur, Boyd and Fraser.

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site
Hossa said:
While the overall league may not be as strong at the moment, but figuratively or literally, that shouldn't be held against guys like Steve Bernier, who is big, who is strong, who does love to throw his weight around. The same goes for Picard (forward). Picard's a carbon copy of Ryan Smyth, who everybody loves, but of course, Picard's from the Q. I don't think there are really any other players aside from Bernier and Picard who should have been invited to camp, from the Q, because Pouliot isn't as well rounded as the two. But those two guys, as many have stated in the other thread, are simply superior players to several guys on the invited list, such as McArthur, Boyd and Fraser.
Poor Crosby :cry:

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
I find it funny how all the easterners blame the selections completely on Sutter. Saying he's just biased against the east b/c he's form the west. Most are completly ingnoring teh fact that Blair Mackasey is also a major player in the player selection department, and guess what. He's from Montreal.

Get over this Sutter hates the east b.s b/c its pretty sad.

I dont get why everyone is so upset that Sutter invited a few of the "Dubs" better checkers. Why is so hard to beleive that they want to have a 2 scoreing lines and 2 checking lines? Why does everyone want the team to be just scorers only? I am sorry but Bernier isn't good enought to crack the top 6 and isn't a good enough skater and defensive player to be an effective 3rd 4th line guy. With Picard i think its his defensive game that was teh reason he was not invited. Picard wasn't offensively strong enought to offset teh top 6 guys and not strong enough defensively to garner a invite to compete for the bottom 6 spots.

At least Boyd and Fraser have played in defensive roels for there respective clubs. Boyd inparticular has spent his frist 2 WHL season on the 3rd line playing teh role of a checking line center. So right there you know that he at least knows how to play defense but still has enough skill to score timely goals.

PK*

If the WHL is that much better, why are there 4 teams from the Q in the CHL top 10 while there are 3 from the dub and 3 from the O ?

I'm not saying the selections were wrong, although there were a lot of close calls. I just want to put some for wood to light the fire. :D

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
PK said:
If the WHL is that much better, why are there 4 teams from the Q in the CHL top 10 while there are 3 from the dub and 3 from the O ?

Well that's only a subset of each of the leagues. That's only the best teams in each of the leagues. If the WHL is better overall it doesn't necessarily mean it's top 3 or 4 would be better than the QMJHL's top 3 or 4. It means that your average WHL team is better than your average QMJHL team. And it means that your poor WHL teams are probably better than your poor QMJHL teams.

Just looking at the top few proves nothing. That's a logical fallacy.

PK*

Flames Draft Watcher said:
Well that's only a subset of each of the leagues. That's only the best teams in each of the leagues. If the WHL is better overall it doesn't necessarily mean it's top 3 or 4 would be better than the QMJHL's top 3 or 4. It means that your average WHL team is better than your average QMJHL team. And it means that your poor WHL teams are probably better than your poor QMJHL teams.

Just looking at the top few proves nothing. That's a logical fallacy.
Alright, but don't you agree that most of the time, the best teams have the best players ? I'm having a tough time believing that only 4 players from Quebec and the Atlantic provinces are the among the best U20s in Canada. Somehow, it just doesn't make sense.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
PK said:
Alright, but don't you agree that most of the time, the best teams have the best players ? I'm having a tough time believing that only 4 players from Quebec and the Atlantic provinces are the among the best U20s in Canada. Somehow, it just doesn't make sense.

Well the analysis is hard to do when some of the most important players on all the teams in question are imports (not eligible for Canada), 20 year olds (ineligible) and players too young to be seriously considered (17 year olds not named Crosby).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad