Too many players with questionable consistency levels + defensive game?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Can we win with <50% of the top 6 having both questionable consistency and defensive games?

I like Hoffman, Zibanejad and Ryan as individuals but they all share the same weaknesses. Doesn't make winning combo's imo.

How many players would you consider to have both of these characteristics on the roster?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Exactly. Very well said. Individually they are all great players but on the same top 6... especially when 2 of those players are in the top 3 in talent.... yikes.

It can't work. You can't have 2 streaky goal-scorers be your best players on your top 6. It just won't work. And I think that's the primary reason why Ottawa is looking to move Hoffman.

The only way it would work, imo, is if you get a center better than them AND is good 2 way/not streaky to counter that flaw.

Here's the thing, a lot of people may give Zibanejad flack but the reason why i defend him is not only cause he's young... but aside from the fact that he is streaky, he is still sound defensively, doesn't get crushed physically and elevates his game during good spurts when you need him in games. Those are not present in Ryan and Hoffman.

So one has to move. I'd rather it be Ryan cause of that contract, even though he's a great player but since that seems unlikely, it's probably Hoffman. Now this isn't all doom and gloom, if we can deal him for Drouin, who's also streaky, but at the very least his style of play will fit our team better... then we'd avoid huge problem while solving one at same time.

but tbh id still try to move ryan and keep hoff.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Mailing it in. Yes, we can win..the odd game. But likely no playoffs in the future unless changes are made. IMO our D is not mobile enuf (except EK)...we bought 2 draft horses, but they're no good in a sprint.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So many of our top players have question marks. That's not good enough to win. Stone is our only guy who I'm comfortable with 100% of the time.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
@RKL

Zibby's spurts are very, very momentary spurts though. I'd argue that he's more streaky than both Ryan and Hoffman. Although yes, he is better defensively.

Ryan may be streaky, but at least it's consistent (as in you can tell when it's coming ie he has a monster start/mid season and trails off). In Zibby's case it is way too random

His offensive production may seem fine, but in terms of generating momentum/possession/good chances that don't usually show up on the score sheet you rarely see it. Prior to Hoffman's recent scoring drought he was pretty damn consistent at scoring goals.

Zibby doesn't have the play making skills of a healthy Turris, so it hurts his linemates (frequently Ryan and Hoffman).

He needs to be a shoot first, garbage goal guy because he has the strength, balance and shot to pull it off. However, he seems to be way too tenative to just wire the puck constantly.

If he does warm up to that type of play, he would fit will with Stone who is a jack of all trades. That would leave a HEALTHY Turris for Hoffman and Ryan who both need someone good at feeding the puck.

But yes he is young.

Last edited:

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
So many of our top players have question marks. That's not good enough to win. Stone is our only guy who I'm comfortable with 100% of the time.
Completely agree. Some good players in the top 6 but I would like to upgrade one player for a bit more skill and one player for a bit more grit. Turris and Stone stay...

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I dunno, I was thinking of making a "do we need a new direction" thread myself...

We only need ONE direction...

5705942b-985b-4fe5-a90f-869253143909.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad