Too many goals scored on penalties?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
There is a huge difference in the amount of goals scored on a penalty vs. how many are scored in hockey on a penalty shot.

Wondering if it is too penal to give a penalty, and most likely a goal, for an infraction in the penalty area? Maybe give a penalty kick after two infractions? Maybe move the spot back five yards to make it a bit harder.

Or would this make teams more willing to commit a foul in the penalty area?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I agree with @luiginb. I think if there were to ever be changes, it would be to usher in more indirect free kicks. I don't think a system with multiple infractions or something like that would work in Footie.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Eww no. Football shouldn't try to be more like hockey. Hell even if you get a penalty in hockey "the most exciting play in hockey" it rarely results in a goal. Leave it the way it is please.

Reactions: Overrated

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I’d much rather them make penalties themselves less of a game by more strictly enforcing run up shenanigans than changing what is or isn’t a pen. Sure it’s frustrating when a player barely gets his heels clipped at the corner of the box while running away from goal, but I don’t want refs making even more subjective decisions of what is or isn’t “worth” a penalty.

I might even go as far as advocating for banning the jump move. If you can’t line up for a completely uncontested shot from 12 yards out and beat the keeper, you don’t deserve to score.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I’d much rather them make penalties themselves less of a game by more strictly enforcing run up shenanigans than changing what is or isn’t a pen. Sure it’s frustrating when a player barely gets his heels clipped at the corner of the box while running away from goal, but I don’t want refs making even more subjective decisions of what is or isn’t “worth” a penalty.

I might even go as far as advocating for banning the jump move. If you can’t line up for a completely uncontested shot from 12 yards out and beat the keeper, you don’t deserve to score.

As someone who tunes in occasionally to watch soccer I am inevitably amazed of how much diving is an accepted part of the game and seemingly is never called. If it wasn't so worth it to take the dive once any contact is felt, then maybe you would see less penalties called.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Looks like the PL is on pace for their fewest PK's awarded since 17/18 after the most ever awarded 2 years ago

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Looks like the PL is on pace for their fewest PK's awarded since 17/18 after the most ever awarded 2 years ago

Would be interested to see the numbers broken down between fouls for attempts on the ball, off ball fouls, and handballs to see how those have changed.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As someone who tunes in occasionally to watch soccer I am inevitably amazed of how much diving is an accepted part of the game and seemingly is never called. If it wasn't so worth it to take the dive once any contact is felt, then maybe you would see less penalties called.

It's worth noting that a lot of foul play goes uncalled and especially the better players get targetted constantly. If they don't go down they generally don't get the call. It hurts to watch for me as much as the next guy, but it's important to understand that it's not as cut and dry as it might seem at first glance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad